Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have some new problems I need help addressing... Around two weeks ago, I noticed a small drip coming from underneath the power steering fluid reservoir I think (right after I replaced my radiator). Its a yellowish/brown liquid, but it doesn't smell like oil, and my oil levels have been staying consistent. However, the leak isn't fast so I'm not convinced it isn't oil.. I also checked my power steering, coolant, and transmission fluid levels, and they seem to be all within spec (though the transmission fluid is always just above the highest line). Its giving me pretty bad anxiety now because it keeps leaking and I don't know what to fill.

What is arguably more concerning though, is this sound I just heard coming from I believe to be the valve covers today...
The lifter tick is painfully obvious, but theres another sound, like a small fragment being tossed around or something. Its very subtle but happens a few times within the video.

I wish I had the time and knowledge to just tear the engine apart but unfortunately life moves fast and the problems this car develops are seemingly endless lol. I wonder if the two problems are related.

·
4,743 Posts
Take a mechanic's stethoscope and try to narrow down where the noise is. As for your leak. If you de-grease the engine real good. You can take some backing soda and dust the area. It will make a slug trail where it came from. Then you will know where it is really coming from.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its about time I acquire a stethoscope. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow down where the sound is coming from I just have a bad feeling about it... As far as the leak goes, I'm starting to become more and more convinced that it may be the power steering fluid. Everything is just so cramped in that area its going to be a pain to clean. Regardless, I will post back when I have more information after trying the two strategies provided, hopefully sometime this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts