Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have read lots of different articles about this and it appears many cars have an electronic throttle disable when the brake is pressed.

I have read in Car and Driver that this is a standard feature on many other makes of cars, but not in Toyota's up to now.

Today I read it appears Toyota is putting an Electronics Fix to disable the electronic throttle when the brake is pressed when some cars come in for service.

So has anyone found out if the ECU flash is available for the IS300 ??

Comments ??

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
found this.....

Toyota. The automaker has also said it is making "brake override" -- a system that cuts engine power to the wheels as soon as the brake pedal is pressed -- standard equipment on all of its cars.
The "brake override" software will also be added to the internal computers on some cars as they are brought in for recall repairs, a Toyota spokesman said.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not according to Jim Lentz, I guess he is your boss !!!

Read this...

The 911 call came at 6:35 p.m. on Aug. 28 from a car that was speeding out of control on Highway 125 near San Diego.
The caller, a male voice, was panic-stricken: “We’re in a Lexus ... we’re going north on 125 and our accelerator is stuck ... we’re in trouble ... there’s no brakes ... we’re approaching the intersection ... hold on ... hold on and pray ... pray ...”
The call ended with the sound of a crash.
The Lexus ES 350 sedan, made by Toyota, had hit a sport utility vehicle, careened through a fence, rolled over and burst into flames. All four people inside were killed: the driver, Mark Saylor, an off-duty California Highway Patrol officer, and his wife, daughter and brother-in-law.
It was the tragedy that forced Toyota, which had received more than 2,000 complaints of unintended acceleration, to step up its own inquiry, after going through multiple government investigations since 2002.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyway I don't care whether there is a fault in the Pedal or not, I only care about getting the ECU flash, not the pedal/ mat or any other nonsense excuse.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts

Read this...

The 911 call came at 6:35 p.m. on Aug. 28 from a car that was speeding out of control on Highway 125 near San Diego.
The caller, a male voice, was panic-stricken: “We’re in a Lexus ... we’re going north on 125 and our accelerator is stuck ... we’re in trouble ... there’s no brakes ... we’re approaching the intersection ... hold on ... hold on and pray ... pray ...”
The Lexus ES 350 sedan, made by Toyota, had hit a sport utility vehicle, careened through a fence, rolled over and burst into flames. All four people inside were killed: the driver, Mark Saylor, an off-duty California Highway Patrol officer, and his wife, daughter and brother-in-law.
It was the tragedy that forced Toyota, which had received more than 2,000 complaints of unintended acceleration, to step up its own inquiry, after going through multiple government investigations since 2002.
Shut up and do some googling FFS.

·
Dr. JDM
6,678 Posts

Read this...

dude, put it in neutral or something

also there is NOTHING WRONG with our cars. besides, you wouldn't want this brake override if you wanted to do burnouts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
The guy who crashed on the 911 call?

He was in a loaner. The dealer that lent him the car had put RX floormat in the ES. The floormat got stuck on the gas pedal= unintended acceleration.

The "fix" is to put the correct floormat in the car.

And as noted if the driver understood what that 'n' did on his gear selector he and his family would be alive today.

Sadly though that 911 call got a lot of press, and toyota grossly over-reacted to what was a simple floormat problem.

Now, there's a separate issue currently on Toyota (NOT lexus) models built in the US using a specific gas pedal.

Lexus models are, of course, all built in Japan (apart from the RXs built in Canada) and not impacted by the issue at all.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Anyway I don't care whether there is a fault in the Pedal or not, I only care about getting the ECU flash, not the pedal/ mat or any other nonsense excuse.
Unfortunately you are misinformed sir..

I'VE READ IT AND HEARD THE VIDEO OF THAT ES350...A LOANER CAR THAT HAD THE WRONG FLOORMATS IN IT AND THE PEDAL GOT STUCK!!

THE IS300 IS NOT AFFECTED, as it has an older design of drive by wire and has had ZERO problems....

but feel free to go to the dealer about getting an ECU flash and see what they tell you....:lol:

which is unless you have an ES350 (06-10) or IS250 (06-10), then you have NOTHING to worry about...:pissed:

and btw, Jim Lentz (toyota usa president) is NOT my boss....Mark Templin is, group vice president and general manager of the U.S. Lexus Division.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately you are misinformed sir..

I'VE READ IT AND HEARD THE VIDEO OF THAT ES350...A LOANER CAR THAT HAD THE WRONG FLOORMATS IN IT AND THE PEDAL GOT STUCK!!

THE IS300 IS NOT AFFECTED, as it has an older design of drive by wire and has had ZERO problems....

but feel free to go to the dealer about getting an ECU flash and see what they tell you....:lol:

which is unless you have an ES350 (06-10) or IS250 (06-10), then you have NOTHING to worry about...:pissed:

and btw, Jim Lentz (toyota usa president) is NOT my boss....Mark Templin is, group vice president and general manager of the U.S. Lexus Division.
Well I thank you for the information.
I agree that the problem is being blown out of all proportion, if the pedal sticks I would think you would get some warning that its "high Friction" and you can hook it back up, ditto the mats, I have had mats slide forward on Nissan's, and agree it can happen. Also testing shows that the car can be stopped using the brakes, even in gear ( CAR and Driver with the Audi 5000 and this month a variety of cars.)
It should be said that Toyota is recommending shifting to neutral.

So the Gas pedal assembly is not the same, OK
The floor mats are or were a problem on some cars OK.

That doesn't explain the comment about the electronic throttle control being modified on all Toyota models. Or the concern that the electronic throttle could malfunction from multiple places including the highway safety folks who are normally very slow to do anything. These issues are reported to have started in 1999 and investigations started in 2002.

Car and driver published a list of car manufacturers that have the Electronic "Brake Override" as standard, I assume they do this for no for good reason?

I have worked in the Electronics and Chip business all my career, and have had to go and recall parts from customers, not pleasant !! and investigate failures etc. Unfortunately all electronic systems can and do fail, some with instant Failure, some are intermittent, and that's not even considering software ie code issues.

It may be of interest that I was in the room when a major manufacturer turned down a proposal for an early fuel injection and control chip for liability concerns.

So forgive me if I am concerned about my car flaking out, particularly as my wife and visitors from England that drive my car, think Texas to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yellowstone.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I goggled Mark Templin and his promotion was announced by JiM Lentz, so I can assume he works for him !!!

·
Dr. JDM
6,678 Posts
this thread is fail.

while we're at it, we should all go to the dealer and have them upgrade auto power locks on all pre-2004 IS300s because people might get carjacked if they forget to lock their doors. nothing wrong with the car of course, but just in case

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this thread is fail.

while we're at it, we should all go to the dealer and have them upgrade auto power locks on all pre-2004 IS300s because people might get carjacked if they forget to lock their doors. nothing wrong with the car of course, but just in case
Well you are reading it so what does that say about you ?

·
Dr. JDM
6,678 Posts
Well you are reading it so what does that say about you ?
you're right, talking to morons is a waste of time. i should never try to help people who ask questions and don't accept the answers they get

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you're right, talking to morons is a waste of time. i should never try to help people who ask questions and don't accept the answers they get
Ok the question was

"Today I read it appears Toyota is putting an Electronics Fix to disable the electronic throttle when the brake is pressed when some cars come in for service.
So has anyone found out if the ECU flash is available for the IS300 ??
Comments ?? "

and look at your answers shall we...

"dude, put it in neutral or something

also there is NOTHING WRONG with our cars. besides, you wouldn't want this brake override if you wanted to do burnouts"

this thread is fail.

while we're at it, we should all go to the dealer and have them upgrade auto power locks on all pre-2004 IS300s because people might get carjacked if they forget to lock their doors. nothing wrong with the car of course, but just in case "

So where did you contribute ??

Reactions: sway162
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.