Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pissed: a couple of months ago i had to get new front tires cuz they were worn out unevenly. i went to an alignment shop and they said its fine and didnt find anything to fix alignment wise...now i find out that the front tires are worn out inside...

heres my question..should i switch the left tires to the right and right to left to get alittle more tire life? i thought this might make some sense because the insides are a little worn and if i switch L/R im thinking the unworn part will be inside...get it?

i dont wanna be such a cheap ass but im not in the best financial situation so pls give me some opinions...should i put the rears in the front? help me

·
Registered
118 Posts
well, im not exactlly sure but have you ever turned the wheel all the way one direction and look at how the wheels tilt in its angle... well, when ur turning u put pressure on the inside.... thats just my assumption. true or not... answers will be given soon.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
:pissed: a couple of months ago i had to get new front tires cuz they were worn out unevenly. i went to an alignment shop and they said its fine and didnt find anything to fix alignment wise...now i find out that the front tires are worn out inside...

heres my question..should i switch the left tires to the right and right to left to get alittle more tire life? i thought this might make some sense because the insides are a little worn and if i switch L/R im thinking the unworn part will be inside...get it?

i dont wanna be such a cheap ass but im not in the best financial situation so pls give me some opinions...should i put the rears in the front? help me
ummm..the same side will be inside regardless...just like the outside of your rim is outside no matter what. You shoudl go to another shop and have THEM check your alignment. My alignment was all f'd up and caused my tires to wear quickly and unevenly.. Now, I have new tires, Michelin Pilot Sports :p Much better than the Potenzas..

Hope this helps.

BTW - if you want to minimize the wear on the fronts, switch them with the rears. Either way, they're gonna wear out too quickly and unevenly.. Now you're just splitting the wear between all four tires. THe best for your financial situation would be none of this short term crap...figure out what's wrong with the front so you don't have to keep getting new tires.

·
Registered
118 Posts
about switching the sides from outside/inside.... if its unidirectional L/R, then the tire shop might not even want to touch the tire because it might be a hazard.

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
kami121 said:
about switching the sides from outside/inside.... if its unidirectional L/R, then the tire shop might not even want to touch the tire because it might be a hazard.
That is correct. You can't just switch sides. However they can reverse the tire on the rim and then the direction is ok.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the tires are directional...wat im saying is take out the tires from the rims and switch them the opposite so the unworn part will be the inside...

·
Registered
118 Posts
u can do that... but most tireshops wont do it for u.... unless u know where to go... also u might also have problems wit wet traction....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts