Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 19K on my '02 IS, and about 10k are highway miles. And i noticed that the tread isnt wearing evenly on the tires, the inner tread is more worn than the outer. I've had the car serviced at Lexus for everything and they never said anythign about it, and I caught the problem the otehr day when i parked teh car and had teh wheels turned all the way. I went to the dealer and they told me taht it would cost 100 bucks to fix teh allignent on the car. That pissed me off because i noticed the tread wear after all these miles and they never said anything to me all the time i've gotten the car serviced and I havent hit any potholes or done anything that would cause teh allignment to be off, it sucks to think it may have been off the entire time I've had the car, but I'd think Lexus would be more responsible. I just wanted to know if anyone else had a problem like that with the tread wear or has any ideas as to how i can save some cash. Do you think its possible to bitch to Lexus and get free tires?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you had your car for over a year? Read your manual, I believe lexus has warranty on the alignment for 20,000 miles or 12 months.
Worth the try ask your dealer about it or look at your manual, mine is in the car so I can't verify this right now.

·
8,880 Posts
It is aligned that way from the factory, possibly for better handling. Many people had that happen to them.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
yeh i just noticed mine bout a week ago. inner tread is complittely gone. i got to get a new set. i also did servise about a month ago and they never said anything. they get no points for that in my book!!! :pissed:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
mine showed bad inner tire wear at 9k miles!!!! i took it in to get the free first alignment and they didn't do anything. still have inner tire wear on my front drivers side tire. :pissed: ask for a print out from the alignment machine if you go.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It might be a camber offset.

I spoke with a Lexus Mech, he told me that it was build that way for better handling.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Mine showed inner wear also. I was told by another local IS300 owner that the tires need to be rotated and flipped since they're directional to keep the wear even at every 10K miles.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
379 Posts
My buddy who is a service rep at Lexus of Glendale informed me that the is eats up tires. He told me to have them rotated every 3,000 miles if you want to get a little more tread life.

·
8,880 Posts
fsusucks said:
My buddy who is a service rep at Lexus of Glendale informed me that the is eats up tires. He told me to have them rotated every 3,000 miles if you want to get a little more tread life.
Proper alignment would be the most effective way to increase thread life.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
- my tires are ALMOST bald and I only have 5Kmiles on mine, but lowered about 3 inches :crazy:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
vlad_a said:
fsusucks said:
Would a alignment fixed the camber issue?

·
8,880 Posts
BugginOuT said:
vlad_a said:
fsusucks said:
Yes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
BugginOuT said:
vlad_a said:
fsusucks said:

yes, but only if they do it right...if they leave the same camber angels and just set the alignment straight it will do nothing to help.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
dut said:
- my tires are ALMOST bald and I only have 5Kmiles on mine, but lowered about 3 inches :crazy:
That's pretty extreme. I was lowered 3 inches on my stock wheels and they lasted to about 12,000 before the belts started showing on the inside.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
JDM_SXE-10 said:
That's pretty extreme. I was lowered 3 inches on my stock wheels and they lasted to about 12,000 before the belts started showing on the inside.
- I still have a while to go, its not even close to showing thread....

:pissed: HOPEFULLY I get my GOT DAMN wheels soon :bitching: , which would mean new tires...

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
dut said:
JDM_SXE-10 said:

:pissed: HOPEFULLY I get my GOT DAMN wheels soon :bitching: , which would mean new tires...
:lol: :lol: and there you thought.. Bronze would arrive sooner than the black ones did.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
kraze8 said:
:lol: :lol: and there you thought.. Bronze would arrive sooner than the black ones did.. :lol: :lol:
- do NOT remind me :pissed:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
dut said:

Oh then you're still good. You don't have to start worrying until you have sparks flying when u chirp.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
dut said:
kraze8 said:
- do NOT remind me :pissed:
:lol:

have you called to check status of them lately??
I bet they'll arrive soon....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
kraze8 said:
:lol:

have you called to check status of them lately??
I bet they'll arrive soon....
- just got off the phone right now... they said they will be here 10-14 days, so I cannot cancel it now... there would be a restocking fee anyways

1 - 20 of 25 Posts