Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to tint my windows. I've got an '03 GGP. Could someone explain to this tint newbie what kinds of tint there are, quality, levels, warranties, brands, etc.? I live in STL. Law is 35% on fronts, anything on rears. 35% reflectivity on front and rear. I was thinking about going 35front, 20 rear.....but then ofcourse all these other questions come up. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i live in utah, and our tint law is 43%, my car is 20% all the way around. I get no hassle whatsoever by the law. And if your worried about safety/emission, just roll odwn your window. But go for the tint, makes your car look good!

and the percents mean how much sun is getting let into the car. SO 20% percent means only 20 percent in/ 80 percent get blocked out. ANything lower than 20% usually makes it harder to see out of your car at night.

here is a pic of my car. enjoy. and hopefully this helped.

ya gotta go for it man!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Just go to your local tint shop, they can show you all the different shades, flim thickness, prices and etc. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just know if a cop (at least in CA) stops you for the tints being too dark (and assume you KNOW they're not, meaning it's not reflective nor limo black), and says, "your window tints are too dark, I'm going to have to cite you". In a non-threatening way, reply back with "Officer, I might understand that but what did your light meter read at?"

The key is that you now have put a shadow (no pun intended) of doubt in his judgement. If he still insists to writing the ticket and before he does, ask again, "Sir, I would like to take the "light meter test, please", more than likely the cop does NOT have one in the car, or if he does, ask "when was it last calibrated?"

You might still get the ticket, but if you're TRULY within limits, you can get it re-tested or contested by having the meter read, the whole idea is that you paid good money for the tints, why remove them cuz' some cop "thinks" it's too dark.

I can understand if you're way too dark, the cop does have a right to know what the driver might look, for possible criminals and low-lifes, and having the can't see tints, I'd have to side with the cops, they have a tough job.

If we can all stick to this this, and you're legally tinted (be it dark to the maximum allowed), I hope cops will think twice about stopping anyone who are close to the limit.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you say that to a cop, he will classify you as a wise guy and probably bang you out for more tickets. The cop does not have to prove anything to you, he can just write you the ticket and you are the one stuck paying it. I would not recommend arguing an officer at any time because it will get you nowhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts
BossMan said:
If you say that to a cop, he will classify you as a wise guy and probably bang you out for more tickets. The cop does not have to prove anything to you, he can just write you the ticket and you are the one stuck paying it. I would not recommend arguing an officer at any time because it will get you nowhere.
Who's arguing?

I say in a "non-threatening manner", in a friendly gesture if you will, whisper it if you want. I agree not to argue with any cop, but it's a simple question.

I've skated out of three (3) possible citations, works for me. Last two, the officers (one in a car, another one on a motorcycle), shrugged their head or shoulder, "have a nice day", as the last comment to me (with no ticket given.)

I'd rather say something "nice" and than to admit fault right then and there, which is what the ticket says, you're at fault for something, and need to plant that seed of doubt. Something that I suppose could be used at the police station upon trying to "fix the ticket".

Here's a scenario, I guess that could be played out (at the station): "I did ask the citing officer, what the light meter said, but he didn't have one, or before I have to remove this tint, could you run the meter test?" But again, I don't know that, since I was able to NOT ever get a ticket for my legal dark tints.

The whole point is that if you're truly within the legal tints, why should you have to take them off in the first place?? Especially cuz' I know I'm right and not breaking any laws or rules.

Just cuz' some officer (be it a rookie or veteran) that may not like your car model, or has a thing about certain looks of the car and wants to hassle you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I live in NJ and this question comes up all the time. I drive a Black lexus with a beige interior. I then got 15% tints all around except for front window. Since my interior is a lighter tone, it helps more light to pass. If i feel that it really isnt sunny outside, then ill do 1 of 3 things. If i need a little more light ill just uncover the moonroof. If i feel i need alot of light ill completely open teh sun roof, this helps more light to pass and make the tint seem lighter than it actually is. The last thing ill do is complete roll down my windows. In all honesty, i had a little bit of trouble with the tints when i first got them. The cop gave me a failure to inspect, and then after that the 2nd cop just said that the tints were too dark. In all honesty, if i cop is askin alot of questions about tints. Then they are jsut trying to bust your balls, in the first case when i got pulled over i just ended up yelling at the cop. didnt help much, but it made me feel a whole lot better.
-Dante

·
Registered
578 Posts
i live in kali dude and i have ggp w/ a 18% all da way around
i have no problem seeing at night time either and im happy with da tint :)

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
okay goldfishy, you keep talking about legal limits, but in CA we can't legally have ANY tint on our front windows. and we can go as dark as we want in the back, so... you're confusing the police into letting you go?

·
Registered
300 Posts
irv_usc said:
okay goldfishy, you keep talking about legal limits, but in CA we can't legally have ANY tint on our front windows. and we can go as dark as we want in the back, so... you're confusing the police into letting you go?
http://www.tintdude.com/atoh.html

For the State of CA: 70% "front sides" (not the "front windows"), and ANY% on the backs and ANY% on the rears is "legal".

So with that in mind, pretend you're the cop, here's my basis and contention: "Officer, oh, I was wondering what your light meter read?"

Actually, I forgot mention, I keep a copy of this print-out with my insurance and registration info. (Lol, next time, I might bring that sheet out, but it never got to that point of asking me for registration papers, just a cop wanting to get brownie points for tints). You know the line, "Um, sir, the main reason for stopping you today is that your front tints are not legal and too dark".

Another buddy of mine told me, it could be true if you add "aftermarket" tints, and it looks like aftermarket "crap", a cop could cite, as there's something in the rules, that versus if they were a factory (dealer install may qualify), so in the respect, it's a gray area. So get them professionally done and claim it was factory install, make sure of the tint's finish, but I'd doubt a cop would go that far to look and feel, unless it was real sheety, then, you should get a ticket, lol, j/k.

But the main issue is that unless the cop right then and there can "prove" beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's true, the cop could cite me then, and later, I will have to prove again, it's within limits.

Very true, the cop may not have to "proof" it there, and then the matter goes to the next step as mentioned at the station.

I'll try to post up some pics later to show the darkness. Here's some pics: hope they come out...

Tint off, front window down 12' out:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/586/medium/IS300_tints_005.jpg

Tint off, front window down, closer shot:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/586/medium/IS300_tints_004.jpg

Cops view from 12' out, tint on, all window up:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/586/medium/IS300_tints_003.jpg

Tint on, all windows up other side shot:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/586/medium/IS300_tints_002.jpg

Tint on, all windows up:

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/586/medium/IS300_tints_001.jpg

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
I, too, thought no tint is allowed on the front side windows or the windshield. Here is the only exception: front side windows can be only tinted colorless and transparent for reducing UV rays, however, everyone does ting frond sides so I don't mind

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
instead of getting your information from "tintdude" perhaps perusing the california vehicle code will let you know that any tint on the front drivers or passenger windows forward must transmit at least 88% of visible light. this supersedes the 70% requirement for manufactured glass.

by law you are required to carry a letter by the installer certifying that this front tint meets the legal requirements.

this is the letter of the law, per se. i'm not saying that anyone with tinted glass can't get away with it, but let's try to get the facts as straight as possible.

PS. those of you who happily read the part about a doctor's note giving you exemption from tint laws, keep in mind that vehicles that are tinted as a part of that tint exemption are not legal to drive at night.

·
Registered
300 Posts
irv_usc said:
instead of getting your information from "tintdude" perhaps perusing the california vehicle code will let you know that any tint on the front drivers or passenger windows forward must transmit at least 88% of visible light. this supersedes the 70% requirement for manufactured glass.

by law you are required to carry a letter by the installer certifying that this front tint meets the legal requirements.

this is the letter of the law, per se. i'm not saying that anyone with tinted glass can't get away with it, but let's try to get the facts as straight as possible.

PS. those of you who happily read the part about a doctor's note giving you exemption from tint laws, keep in mind that vehicles that are tinted as a part of that tint exemption are not legal to drive at night.
I'm glad you read the fine print of the law. While I don't doubt a cop or the station cop would really know that, there are some areas open to a very gray area. Also, anyone having recently installed or previously installed tints, how many received a certificate?

While you could take the laws to the highest appeal or court of law, that would say everyone having any sort of tints that's not okay'd by a doctor are in violation and must be removed.

Facts are: (we're talking the front side windows only). I had discussed this topic over Xmas break with a couple of law buddies (in practice), I had also previously posted about the tint's issue on this site and no, I'm not a lawyer nor in that business nor claim to be.

1). "Clear, colorless and transparent material" must be used: a dark
cellophane is that. Take a piece of it, look at it. One guy was planning to install the dark tint on his Porsche, he takes the argument (like most of them do). Here's how that convo went down: is it clear?, "yes" (such as can you see thru it "clearly", yes), is it colorless? NO, but it's not "red, amber or silver", "it's a bit dark, but nevertheless, "colorless" to what extent, do you define that?" (we admit that's a iffy area, but let them (cops) define that term), is it transparent? "well, it's not opaque and you can see thru it" again.

2). Yes, by law, you should have in your possession in the car (preferred) to have the installer verify it meets all legal requirements or if you installed it yourself, write to get a copy from the manuf. that it also meets those requirements. What does that mean? If you had tints installed professionally, and they're still in business today, get a letter from them now on their letterhead, done. If you DIY'd it, write a letter and hope the manuf. will write you back, stating they meet those qualifications of the material, and of course, you'll state, you installed them exactly like the manuf. instructions said. The letter or certficate must say it's within the percentage of light transmission, etc.

If you mention what specs you need, bottom dollars, the manuf. clerk will do so.

3). If you want to get your eye doctor or optomerist (sp?) or regular doctor to write you a simple form statement, that you need some of window shading because of your vision or for a medical issue, but I seriously don't know how many might to do that. I think most eye doctors or the friendly Wallymart optomerist will do it on your next visit or if you call him, assuming you're a client/patient. Just leave the note (doctor's excuse) in the car, along with the other tint paperworks.

Note to myself: I better take my own advice here and call my doctors, I've gotten three stops so far in the past two years, better not stretch out my luck, lol. "Hi, doc, could you write me up a prescription or note that I need to be in a car that offers some kind of window dressing so that during the daylight hours, it does not make my eyes dilate too much, this way, I also don't need to always wear sunglasses in my car, then." (you get the drift).

Actually, I've probaby could have been stopped for more times, as you can see, in one of the pics, how they look "real dark" from a distance, but once you get with, 10'-15', you can see the passenger or myself. The cop will ride along side, stay within a certain distance, waiting to see what they can pull me over for. I'm not a speeder, no loud exhaust, no loud blaring and booming music, other than just driving a nice car.

But again, if you get a fix-it ticket for the tints, gather your paperwork, make a small case backed up by some evidence, present your case and hope they also see it your way and save yourself some money to not have it removed. I'm sure if anyone got a fix-it ticket, they have a tendancy to put it back on anyways after some time. You can hopefully avoid that first and future ticket, I've saved myself a few hundred clams, plus the hassle to take time to
say, "okay, I removed the tints, take it off my record."

Just stay within the limits, don't try using them limo darks in the front.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
let's be honest here. haha. even though we are nitpicking at the law i'm sure the majority of the people here that have posted are in violation of the code. needless to say there are ways to avoid being ticketed. i was just stating the law for the case of the officer who might actually have the answers to the questions you've posted. what i said earlier is correct. that you're basically getting away by confusing the officers. just a comment, not anything against you at all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
irv_usc said:
let's be honest here. haha. even though we are nitpicking at the law i'm sure the majority of the people here that have posted are in violation of the code. needless to say there are ways to avoid being ticketed. i was just stating the law for the case of the officer who might actually have the answers to the questions you've posted. what i said earlier is correct. that you're basically getting away by confusing the officers. just a comment, not anything against you at all.
Dood, no worries at all, and nothing taken, just wanted to help someone out if they get stopped. Yea, if some wise crack officer is reading this site or gets wind, maybe they might know all the answers, still open to the next line of command at the station. If you want to call it confusing, but saves on a fix-it ticket, chinga-ching one for us. Lol, that's what lawyers do, add confusion to the mess and charge an arm and a leg to do it.

Maybe I shoulda listen to my folks, on becoming a barrister back then. NAH!! Too much paperwork for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts