Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the highway around 60 mph when all of a sudden I heard a loud flapping like noise coming from the undercarriage on the passenger side. Sounded like a plastic bag or something was caught under the car.

I pulled over the side and looked under the passenger side. A plastic shield (for wiring?)was hanging. Apparently, the area around where a nut secures the shield had broken off causing the shield hang down at a 45 degree angle (facing forward). This caused the shield to flap around when it caught the draft under the car.

The nut which secures the shield was tight with the broken part of the shield still fastened under it. It's possible that the nut may have been over tightened causing the plastic to stress and eventually crack.

Anyone else with the same problem? I thought I read something about this here on this forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This problem has ben posted before....Dealership will replace it for free...BTW this shield covers th CO2 sensor. It may take a while to get a replacement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It happened to me on I5 at about 85mph. I pulle over, and saw it had popped off on two spots. I proceeded to rip it off, as I could not drive with it like that. I am waiting for a replacement, and the dealer said it looks like the two front bolts were tightened too much, which cracked the plastic.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've had the SAME exact issue. The plastic cover on the underside of the car somehow came loose and broke in half. Then it started dragging and made loud noises. Now that I think about it, I first noticed an awkward kinda of hard wind resisting type noise when I drove above 80mph on the freeway one day. Then a few days later.. it was raining and I was driving on the right hand lane of a street. I drove through a big puddle pretty hard and I think that might have caused something to come loose and then I started hearing something dragging. Eventually, I got a friend to rip the remaining half of the plastic panel off. I then drove to the dealership..and they said I would have to pay for the replacement myself. I explained to them the whole situation, but they said I must have hit something that caused that... when in reality. I did nothing wrong. Just regular driving. I am still going to argue that and is there any lexus customer support hotline I can call to argue this situation on why I should have to pay for something that can't handle typical driving? They can't expect us to drive only 30mph in perfect weather everyday.. and then say since I drove over some water or went kinda fast on the freeway.. that I caused the panel to come loose? It's what you call a factory defect. Anyways.. the underpanel isn't necessary. It drives fine without it.

------------------
White IS300
Houston, TX

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Same thing happened to me... I guess it's a manufacturing defect if it's happening to a lot of people. I'm worried that a wire (it's 2 wires actually, and got a ridged plastic sheath over it) that was housed above it is in danger now though, because it is hanging down. As I've got a busy schedule, i don't think I can get it fixed this week... Anyone know what the wire is for, and if I should be concerned?

------------------
~soybomb~

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like there are too many IS owners that this happened to for it to be an isolated incident.

I just dropped my car at the dealer this morning and explained the situation. They'll replace it or hang it temporarily until the part comes in.

The service writer owns an IS too but said this is the first time he heard of this problem. He said he was going to check his IS out to see if it's a potential problem for all IS cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
WOW this must be a big prob, I had mine come off today and had to cut the piece off and messed up my good buck knife in the process
. called the dealer and they were like if u did not hit anything we will fix otherwise u fix. I said well I did not hit anything, and they said well we will determine that... I will make sure they see this post so if they do not already know of this problem they will on Friday.

------------------
Russell
2001 IS300 Graphite Gray Pearl
Auburn Extreme Racing

[This message has been edited by Russell (edited December 22, 2000).]

·
Registered
110 Posts
My service advisor was honest and told me they would take it off for me and that they would fix any damage that happened while they are waiting for the replacemant part. He also told me that it very common on this car. So don't let them tell you that you need to pay for a new one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After complainging of this exact issue, Lexus called and told me it is in fact a defect. They will replace it for free. I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to redesign the part, but it is in now.

-anndi

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by puzzle1001:
After complainging of this exact issue, Lexus called and told me it is in fact a defect. They will replace it for free. I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to redesign the part, but it is in now.

-anndi
When you get the replacement, will you please
post the number for the modified (?) part.
Also, do you have the part number for the
piece that came unglued? I have a shop manual with a parts breakdown, and I'll take
a look at the parts drawing and see if there's
anything I can add or mention for the benefit of all. TIA.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, guys..didn't mean to start a riot or a conspiracy theory. It's really a "minor" problem that sounds worst than it is. But I don't want stuff flapping around when I'm driving 60 plus.

Don't you think it's more than a coincidence that the same problem happens to a lot of IS cars?

Now I'm very curious. How many of you had similar problems?

Not flaming the IS 300.. It's a great car. But maybe someone will hear us (dealers) and make the corrections or recommend to Lexus to do a "fix".

Come on! Don't worry about the other (non-Lexus) owners criticizing the IS. It's a minor problem that doesn't degrade the car. Almost all cars have some minor defect that can be corrected.

This is what this forum (I think) is suppose to be for...Give feedback to correct the problem.

·
15,322 Posts
yes, it is total bs, i had the exact problem yesterday heading to work, i was on the 118 going about 60 and it was hella windy, all of a sudden i heard some loud cracking sounds, pulled over, it was too dark (10-11pm) and coudln't see anything. slowly drove dragging it the whole time, sitting there totally unravelling. pulled up to a mobile gas station and looked under the car, saw a long black thingie hangin by the right passenger door on the undercarriage. it looked like the nut was overtightened or the bracket was not strong enough. called Lexus 24 hr roadside was on hold waiting for a rep for 20 minutes, i had to go to work so i hung up, went outside, jacked the car up, got under there and ripped it off so i can get to work without worrying about it flying off and causing an accident or something. got off work around 8am and went to Lexus right away. tired as hell i waited for them to check out the rest of the undercarriage, and then they told me i must have hit something. how can i hit something? this part is under the carriage, not in direct path of flying debris caused by the wheels, totally secured, if i had hit something my undercarriage would be more screwed up. now they want to charg 48 for the part and 38 for labor, on something that should be covered by warranty. I am now waiting for the part to come in and will be speaking with Lexus Customer Service Shortly. To top it off somebody bled in my car leaving a patch of blood near the door jam.

my IS is also SBM and has a little over 8000 miles on it.

[This message has been edited by DonCorleone (edited December 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by rseifer:
When you get the replacement, will you please
post the number for the modified (?) part.
Also, do you have the part number for the
piece that came unglued? I have a shop manual with a parts breakdown, and I'll take
a look at the parts drawing and see if there's
anything I can add or mention for the benefit of all. TIA.

I shall post all the info when I get it. I don't consider it a huge issue, so I will get it put on when my major service is performed mid-January. Expect this info around then!

-anndi

·
Registered
816 Posts
The replacement part ordered for my IS300 is 58167-53011. I'm not certain if this is a redesigned part, or the original part to be installed with reduced fastener torque/threadlocker.

Lexus service has added that the primary failure is only at the front fastener, but airflow catches it and basically rips its way down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You know what, I CAN believe that there are this many IS owners going through the same issue regarding this seemed to be defective part, the same thing happened to me (which I will be getting replaced on Tuesday at 11am) but what was strange was when I told my Lexus service dept. here in Nash, Tn. they said that the part is on backorder....backorder, I wondered, hell the car had only been on the market for 3 1/2 months at the time. The guy told me that they had 15 on backorder and here is the kicker, this guy was trying to tell me that it wasnt covered under warranty, "the hell it isnt, I have only had it for a very very short time" and apparantly I am not the only one with this problem, it is an "epidemic" If I can use that term. I believe Lexus knows that it is a cheap part on the vehicle but is remaining tight lipped about it to save tail. By the way I will be getting mine replaced at no charge of course. How many others feel that Lexus knows about this big hidden problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by mrlux:
You know what, I CAN believe that there are this many IS owners going through the same issue regarding this seemed to be defective part, the same thing happened to me (which I will be getting replaced on Tuesday at 11am) but what was strange was when I told my Lexus service dept. here in Nash, Tn. they said that the part is on backorder....backorder, I wondered, hell the car had only been on the market for 3 1/2 months at the time. The guy told me that they had 15 on backorder and here is the kicker, this guy was trying to tell me that it wasnt covered under warranty, "the hell it isnt, I have only had it for a very very short time" and apparantly I am not the only one with this problem, it is an "epidemic" If I can use that term. I believe Lexus knows that it is a cheap part on the vehicle but is remaining tight lipped about it to save tail. By the way I will be getting mine replaced at no charge of course. How many others feel that Lexus knows about this big hidden problem?
As a previous post mentioned, it seems the front fastener area breaks off first and the wind catches it causing it to break further. Maybe the design is faulty - there could be too much stress on the part caused by wind passing between the plate and the undercarriage at high speeds.

I don't know if Lexus is aware of this problem. But too many owners on this forum alone have been complaining of the same problem for it to be isolated and unrelated incidents.

Anyone know who to contact at Lexus to report this? BTW, I'm having mine replaced under the warranty but I still want to report the problem.

·
15,322 Posts
Went to the dealer today, they told me the part had come in already but it was the wrong part, so they took it off and got the numbers. spoke to my service guy and told him about this happening to a bunch of other IS owners and he agreed that it should be covered by warranty and is not going to charge me for it. climbed the curb backing out of the service drive thru since there was a car blocking me
on the way home from the dealership some dog runs out into the street, barely stopped in time, i usually rest my hand on the shift knob and when i braked i guess i pulled down because i noticed i downshifted partially into third and felt it too. ouch. i need new tires. and i hit a cat on the way home from work,
now i feel bad. i swerved to avoid it and it ran back into the direction it came, the same direction i swerved towards- it was 4 am and now its 6, still cant sleep. im a murderer. poor kitty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
DonCorleone
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing