Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...almost like a really quiet BOV. Happens when I'm using eshift and I upshift. goes "ssssss" quietly :eek: . wtf is this? should i get it checked out?

i can't seem to replicate it when I'm gateshifting or just going automatic. oh, and i normally drive the car pretty hard if that matters.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
i get that sound when im close to my oil change intervals...
sounds goes away w/ new engine oil.

dunno what that sound is... but i assume its normal.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
i get the same exact thing and was just about to post..........i can only hear it when im really getting on the gas and dont have any music on. I kinda like it, sort of a mini BOV :lol: (or not)

·
Registered
888 Posts
scottschoe said:
...almost like a really quiet BOV. Happens when I'm using eshift and I upshift. goes "ssssss" quietly :eek: . wtf is this? should i get it checked out?

i can't seem to replicate it when I'm gateshifting or just going automatic. oh, and i normally drive the car pretty hard if that matters.
Maybe you got a free mini turbo........... :eek: :D

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
My friend has a RSX base Auto and he says he hears that with his car. So i think its normal..but im not too sure of that..

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
scottschoe said:

I actually noticed the same thing last night. :eek: I was playing around with my e-shift (which I normally don't use). I thought it was sorta cool. I didn't think much of it after that..... hmm..

·
Registered
480 Posts

its the gears grinning with out e shift on u can hear it to even more when its cold.. shift at like 6 rpms when really cold and its very loud,,gears grinning aint good... :chill: but they tell me its oki..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yeah i have the same thing too...even when im not using E-shift
it only happens to me when im in the higher RPM range...4-6k...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Re: ...

neiiy69 said:
its the gears grinning with out e shift on u can hear it to even more when its cold.. shift at like 6 rpms when really cold and its very loud,,gears grinning aint good... :chill: but they tell me its oki..
u meaning grinding?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
maybe they should stop tearing their cars apart. :eek:

·
Registered
229 Posts
is it kind of like a high-pitched squeaky/airy sound?

its freakin hard to describe.. anyway I have that too.. when shifting at higher rpms, e-shift or not... actually I kind of notice it very lightly no matter if the car is shifting or not..

im gonna take it in soon.. but you guys are saying its pretty normal?

noticed it after my most recent service.. 40K miles

·
Registered
229 Posts
.. deleted double post

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ive noticed it since 2000 miles :eek:

i never really worried about it...until recently...it started to last longer...
1st gear to 2nd, 2k-3k rpm, ssss, 2nd to 3rd, 4k-5k rpm, sssssssssssssss, 3rd to 4th, 4kish, ssssssssssssssssss, 4th to 5th, barely hear it...
it also happens when its in the process of changing to the next gear but it doesnt change until WAY later than usual... :eek:

plus my 5th gear is acting kinda strange....im going like 45mph so i try to speed up and it changes to 4th gear...when im at my desired speed, i let off the gas but when i get back on, its still in 4th gear....doesnt go into 5th until like 10 seconds later...it only happens sometimes... :x

let me know how it goes when u take it in...good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
mine never did it as loud as it's doing now. It sounds like transmission noise to be honest, it sounds like it's coming out of the hump below the center console which is where the tranny is. I dont know it is weird and I'm having it checked out soon. I already mentioned it to the dealer and he said bring it in. It does sound like air or liquid or something. Just downshift to 4th on the freeway and you can hear it or hold a gear on the street and it almost sounds like it builds like boost or something, this sucks. Even at 80 in automatic mode I can hear it hissing with the radio off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have not noticed that but i rarely use the e shft.

I was wondering though what RPM should i be at when crusing around 45, 50 and what gear?

I usually try it at 3rd gear but it stays at like 3500 to 3900 rpms and 4th it goes down to about 3000 rpms.

·
8,849 Posts
Altezza3456 said:
I have not noticed that but i rarely use the e shft.

I was wondering though what RPM should i be at when crusing around 45, 50 and what gear?

I usually try it at 3rd gear but it stays at like 3500 to 3900 rpms and 4th it goes down to about 3000 rpms.
5th gear, between 1947 and 2163 RPMs respectfuly.
Downshift if you need to accelerate. If you don't, auto (e-shift is full auto in this respect) will do it for you.

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
I've never heard that. My car has 24,000 miles and I use eshift quite a bit. I'll listen closely next time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.