Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ten billion SUVs on the road, especially those stupid Excursions. how many middle aged americans need trucks approaching 3 tons and capable of seating 9 passengers? everytime i see one of these monstrosities some guy in a suit is driving it pretending he's mr. roadmaster or something.

I've owned SUVs for 8 years, but it's getting ridiculous. most people can't finish complete sentences, let alone drive around in a wheeled condominium.

seriously, it's getting outta control

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited October 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
its BEEN out of control.
SUV's are more dangerous and are more of a fad than anything else. in general most SUV drivers can't drive for sh*t

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I hate those Urban monsters too, but as a new father I like to have my wife and little girl surrounded by a little more steel than a sedan affords you. I have to drill it into her head that if a crash is imminent not to swerve but rather to try to stop straight and if she hits them at least my family will likely walk out of there ok. No Excursion or Expedition, we drive a simple Merc Mountaineer w/ the Yokahama GeoLander HTs...I yanked the Firestones.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plus u get these morons taking 17 parking spaces because their wheeled frigates have a 3/4 mile turning radius

come on out here, outside of detroit and north of dearborn (ford world hq)...you'll see so many SUVs you'll want to claws your eyes out and pray for death

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
I hate those Urban monsters too, but as a new father I like to have my wife and little girl surrounded by a little more steel than a sedan affords you. I have to drill it into her head that if a crash is imminent not to swerve but rather to try to stop straight and if she hits them at least my family will likely walk out of there ok. No Excursion or Expedition, we drive a simple Merc Mountaineer w/ the Yokahama GeoLander HTs...I yanked the Firestones.
don't get me wrong...i drove a normal jeep cherokee way back when and then i graduated to a jeep grand cherokee v8. decent vehicles, both of them, but they seem small compared to the tanks that are lumbering around now

nice to have a car with some handling and performance again

suv's are overdone, and experts expect sales to start slipping once the fad fades a bit and more return to cars.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
if you want more cushioning than a sedan, buy some german stuff...thsoe fools desing stuff great =) safe as hell....buty ou pay for it, or geta volvo =)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
All they care about is the profit they can make with them......from what I understand, anywhere upto $15000 profit PER vehicle!!!!

They're just money greedy people, they don't care about anything else.....

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gas companies love 'em too

guess what the used car lot will be full of if the economy ever takes a bump?

getcher SUV cheap! firesale!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well...here is the thought. Why blame the tires when the SUV drivers are the one who drive as if the SUV is a sport car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Agent Smith,
I'm just like you. Got me an Exlporer for a family car. Nixed the 16" Firestones even though they only are recalling the 15s. Got the SUV because I was, at all possible costs trying to avoid getting a mini van. Aside from the gas woes, my SUV has served me well. As a owner of a new home, I've used this hunk of steel countless times for furniture, landscaping supplies, family long drives, camping/biking trips etc etc. Stuff I would never put a luxury sports sedan through.

As for zipping around in style and still have the ability to lug my family around...that's what my IS is for.

-----
Paul SBM IS300 w/ 18s, factory wing and alum dash

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Ventura now. Lot of stuck up blonds near the hills with Excursions, Navigator, etc. My first week and I was making a right trying to leave the Ralphs somewhere near the avenue and some ladie almost ramed my Mazda off the road! I mean F.U.C.K. whats up with her, she thinks she the god dang queen of the road or something. That's It!!!! New law: Women can't drive after dark!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have no fuC$in clue why anyone would want a excursion? Those things are uglier than $hit,....so damn big, I don't know how the hell you drive in one of those. Hell yeah they take up 2 parking spaces. Then, they freankin go fast as hell thinking just becuase it "feels" like a car, it "handles" like one too.

SUVs are just man's worst contribution to the human race. Groceries can fit in the trunk of miatas too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
we have this fun game on the Contour board every once in a while where we come up with the name for the next Ford SUX...i mean SUV. they have to begin with "E".

i'll start:

Ford Excretion
Ford Exemption
Ford Elongation
Ford Exhaustion

etc....

------------------
IS 300 ???
Not yet, but maybe soon....

1995 Ford Contour Zetec GL -- Modded

http://www.contour.org

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Why do you people quote me all the damn time...I remember what I wrote....

It flys with me because she doesn't do much freeway driving, she drives slow, I've got a big ass dog that I wouldn't put in a sedan next to my kid, I use it to put other $hit in it and we go to the snow or camping in it several times every year. Can you fit TVs, large tools, etc into a sedan w/o ripping it up? Nope. End of story.

So when you are on the side of the road putting chains on your sedan (unless it's audi or subaru) we'll be cruisin by in comfort.

Lastly, the fact that there are so many SUVs on the road, I'd rather even the odds up some...since sedans often get obliterated in accidents with SUVs

[This message has been edited by Agent Smith (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
666 Posts
as a new home owner I echo Agent Smith's comments. Used my SUV for ski trips, camping, hauling large tools, all the Home Depot stuff etc etc.

I think what most people are pissed off at are the soccer moms who drive these steel hunks for their daily runs such as groceries, shopping etc etc.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I think the Audi Allroad Quattro http://www.4wdonline.com/Audi/allroad.html and cars like the BMW X5 Sport "Activity" Vehicle are the SUV's of the future. They provide the traction and grip of SUV's without sacrificing the handling and practicality of cars. A lot of people go for SUV's for their look, well the two cars I mentioned above can hold their own...
Eric...

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Whatever dude...the reality is that SUVs are here for least another 10 years....the real problem are in the development of Land Frigates (Geoff) the Excursions and beyond are the real problem not the little Explorer/Mountaineer class vehicles... I am confident everytime my wife drives off somewhere with my kid - so don't sweat it cuz I won't change my life to accomodate you.

As far as the netequitte thing...I had no idea...I usually trust people to have read through the thread and give them a little credit on the reading comp scores.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts