Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm still throwing around ideas, and I have always liked the idea of doing a custom rear deck with two 10" subs. I just like the idea of saving trunk space and the weight savings of not having a box. (I'm t/c'd and I'd like to keep the extra weight to a minimum)

Does anyone have any sub suggestions that sound decent in an IB situation? Has anyone done this yet? I'm wondering what would even fit......

·
Registered
354 Posts
Freeair? If you can get a hold on them, I've always like JL 10IB8's. Or the Image Dynamics. You just have to make sure you seal the trunk and the deck up really well. It's generally a bigger pain then it's worth, which is why more people don't do it.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The ID Max subs would be awesome in this application. The back side of the speakers also are good on the eyes so you could use some mirrored plexi to highlight them when the trunk is open.

As stated, to make a IB setup work, the cabin and the trunk has to be 100% sealed. You will blown away with the results!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
If you put subs in the rear deck, how do you plan on filling the stage since you'll be missing 6x9 ?

Also, would sealing the trunk only involve the ski pass or is there more to seal?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, like I said it will be a custom rear deck, I will still probably have some coax's mounted back there closer to the corners for rear fill still.

As far as my dampening, this car will be fully dampened, probably multiple layers w/ foam in many areas. The entire trunk, floor, ceiling, doors, and wheel wells will all be done.

I was considering the IDmax10's, but just wasn't sure about the IB situation......how much power would I need going to them?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
xencloud said:
Well, like I said it will be a custom rear deck, I will still probably have some coax's mounted back there closer to the corners for rear fill still.

As far as my dampening, this car will be fully dampened, probably multiple layers w/ foam in many areas. The entire trunk, floor, ceiling, doors, and wheel wells will all be done.

I was considering the IDmax10's, but just wasn't sure about the IB situation......how much power would I need going to them?

They work awesome in IB so they are a very practical choice. ID claims 200 to 1K watts. I like around 500 min, but that is my personal choice.

Mounted in a IB setup will yield around a -3db at 10HZ with awesome output from 20 to around 60Hz!

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
mrmonster said:
If you put subs in the rear deck, how do you plan on filling the stage since you'll be missing 6x9 ?
What do you mean by filling the stage? A true audiophile quality system would never require rear mounted speakers as they ruin the front sound stage. I used rears in my car as I had a audio(primary)/video system. For sound they were attuenated almost 12db(Barely could even tell they were there). I required them for 5.1 output of movies and games were they were matched volume to the fronts.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
I've really been wanting to mount subs in the rear deck. I think I mentioned that in my first ever Mobiletronics post...

I didn't think free air would work, so I was always trying to work around a box. I found some nice sealed box diagrams somewhere over on Elemental Designs' web site (they have multiple sealed box designs depending on how big you want the box). Using their minimum box sizes for subs (I tried both 8" and 10" subs), I found that it really wouldn't work because the boxes were just too big and they'd hang down and eat up all the trunk space anyways.

But anyways, you're still going to lose all your trunk space. The IDMAX 10's have a depth of 7.625". That's pretty deep.

I would think you'd be better of with a sealed box. You'll end up with more trunk space and the subs will sound better.

I don't know if you drive with a spare, but you could probably get something to work underneath the trunk "floor". At least this way you'll keep your actual trunk space, and gain minimal weight vs. having your spare in. Although there is an obvious disadvantage...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have dropped a couple of ID8v3's into the deck of my IS. Still in the process of the rest of the install, but am hoping for good results. Might have to make a new mdf shelf rather than just the 24mm mounts I have made. 8" subs only required 'minor' bending of the deck apreture to make them fit :) I had considered some extra mdf bolted directly under the deck... time will tell..

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
necromax said:
I have dropped a couple of ID8v3's into the deck of my IS. Still in the process of the rest of the install, but am hoping for good results. Might have to make a new mdf shelf rather than just the 24mm mounts I have made. 8" subs only required 'minor' bending of the deck apreture to make them fit :) I had considered some extra mdf bolted directly under the deck... time will tell..
Nice... I know it isn't done yet, but any chance you could snap a few pics of what you have so far?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts