Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought my car to my local install shop yesterday and they basically talked me out of adding a tv tuner to my head unit saying the reception just isn't very good.

I want to buy the Pioneer Pioneer GEX-P5700TV for my AVIC-D1. They showed it to me in a car and it looked a tad fuzzy on a couple channles but I don't expect it to be perfect, but not annoying either.

Anyway I like the idea of it so I wanted to hear some thoughts of people who have them or have seen them and what you guys think.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
If you have the $ and dont mind crappy reception with every turn ofr change of direction then go for it! I put one in my own car only for Football!

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I had one installed in my ford f-150 harley and ya, it was pretty sh*tty, i never used it. It really is a waste of money.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lisnup65 said:
If you have the $ and dont mind crappy reception with every turn ofr change of direction then go for it! I put one in my own car only for Football!
lol, that's mainly what I want it for. I would have it on all the time though if it worked, I don't listen to radio very often and am bored with ipod.

So it basically makes the static noise and everything with every turn huh? When you're sitting still how is it?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Not that great, unless maybe you offroad up a mountain and park next to a tv antenna or something. I never used mine, only like the first week. I'd buy some nice music dvds and thats the way to go

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
xtaticconcepts said:
lol, that's mainly what I want it for. I would have it on all the time though if it worked, I don't listen to radio very often and am bored with ipod.

So it basically makes the static noise and everything with every turn huh? When you're sitting still how is it?
If you get a signal and park it will hold reception just fine. Its like the old analog rabbit ear antennas, but now you are adding ever changing motion. I get around 40 channels on mine dependant on what direction I am going. I am also in a good market as I am located between two large cities(Milwaukee and Chicago).
IMHO its not worth the premium that most manufactures want. Now if you can get the unit with the dual diversity antennas for under $200.00 ish you will be fine. I remember that Pioneer at one point wanted like $550.00 for the setup at retail!!!!!!!!!! Thats nutz...........

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lisnup65 said:
If you get a signal and park it will hold reception just fine. Its like the old analog rabbit ear antennas, but now you are adding ever changing motion. I get around 40 channels on mine dependant on what direction I am going. I am also in a good market as I am located between two large cities(Milwaukee and Chicago).
IMHO its not worth the premium that most manufactures want. Now if you can get the unit with the dual diversity antennas for under $200.00 ish you will be fine. I remember that Pioneer at one point wanted like $550.00 for the setup at retail!!!!!!!!!! Thats nutz...........
Local shop wants $265 for diversity antenna and then install would make it a total of $400. I was going to try to get them down to $350 installed. Still not worth it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts