Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Click image to see high res version

I just got done with this project, it took me over a week to complete and it was actually really easy, but it was a little tedious. I will only cover how i installed the iPod, all the wiring I did I just followed THIS thread exactly.

Alright, here are the tools I used...

1. Box cutter - laying around the house
2. Dremel with a cutting and sanding attachment - borrowed from friend
3. Many different size screw drivers - laying around the house
4. Scissors - laying around
5. 600 ultra fine grit sand paper - About $3 at lowe's
6. File - laying around
7. 1/4" clear vinyl tubing (I bought about 8 feet just to be safe) - $1.60 at lowe's
8. Plastic primer - about $4 at Lowe's
9. Flat black ultra enamel paint about $4 at Lowe's
10.iPod AV connection kit - $99 at apple store (all you really need is the dock and remote, you can buy the AV cable at an electronic store and save money).
11. iPod universal dock - Came with AV kit, but buy separatly to save money
12. iPod car charger - $7 shipped from ebay
13. Small quare of felt - 20 cents at Michael's
14. Hot glue - laying around
15. Small piece of wood - laying around
16. Drill – laying around
GRAND TOTAL -- about $20 plus the $100 apple AV kit which you dont really need other than the dock. But you will need some sort of Y cable that hooks one end to the ipod dock and other end to the aux inputs.

Now for the how to :) ...

I began by removing all of the dash pieces including the tray and vent piece, the head unit, the tray with the trac button, and the piece that has the cigarette lighter and change box in it. I additionally removed the vent pieces from the dash tray piece to give me more room to work with.

I decided to do wire in the extra cigararetta lighter socket. I used the tutorial mentioned about to do that. I bought a iPod car charger from ebay and plugged it into the socket. Then I duck taped the whole thing into the corner behind the head unit to make sure it was all out of the way.

Next, go ahead and finish all of the wiring stuff that the aux-in tutorial tells you to do just to get it all out of the way. I do not have seat heaters so I mounted the switch for the relay where the right most seat heater switch would go.

Now that all of the wiring is out of the way you can begin cutting up the dash piece to fit the iPod dock.

The first piece that I worked on was the felt dash tray. It pop’s off of the rest of the piece so you can work with it separately.

I positioned the ipod dock on top of the felt dash tray where I wanted it to go, and I measured a rough outline of the base of the dock onto the felt. I used the cutting attachment of the dremel to cut out the part I just measured. I first cut out a square that is a little smaller than the measurements I took. I then switched the dremel to the sanding attachment. Because the ipod dock has round edges, the sanding attachment on the dremel is the prefect tool to make these round edges. I was careful and worked slow to only sand a little at a time and tried to be as exact as I could on the round edges. I would sand a little off of all of the sides, and then test fit the dock in it, and then sand off a little more. I kept doing this for probably close to an hour until I got an almost perfect, reallly snug fit. If you rush this part, the hole you cut will turn out lopsided and make it look horrible.

Once the hole is cut, I stretched the felt lining in the dash tray over the edges that I just cut and hot glued the felt to the bottom of the dash tray. This is probably the most important touch to make the tray look OEM because the felt lining in the tray, once pulled over the edges, hides all of the rough imperfections from the dremel.

Next, I put the top felt part of the dash tray back onto the vent piece that it came off of and I used the hole I just cut out to make a rough outline of the shape of the dock on the plastic part that is underneath the felt dash tray. I then cut that part out with the dremel and sanded it until the fit was snug, just as I had done with the tray. You do not need to make this part as exact, but make sure its pretty close.

(This picture was taken after some other cuts were made and after an extra piece was screwed to the bottom of the dash tray, I will describe them later)

At this point, I realized that the dock would just fall right through the hole because there was nothing underneath to support it, so I looked through my garage and found a small square of wood. I cut it up and covered it in felt that I bought from michael’s to make it soft on the ipod.

It turns out that under the felt part of the dash tray, there are two little empty screw holes that happen to line up perfectly under the hole I cut in the dash tray.

I used a couple screws and screwed the piece of wood onto these holes. It was as if that is exactly what it was made for. This wooden piece now served as the base for the dock to rest on and also it turned out that once screwed tightly on, the wooden piece is at the PERFECT level to make the top of the ipod dock sit flush with the dash tray. I was thrilled to find this out.

I then test fitted this whole part together

After going further into the project, I realized I needed more room on the plastic part that we cut under the felt dash tray for wires and stuff, so I ended up cutting "calculated" chunks out of it to allow room for wires. I also had to cut a notch out of the wooden part to allow room for the tube we will use later.

Next, feed the clear plastic tube and the iPod cables and charger through the dash opening area. The tube, the charger, and the aux cable all needed to hook up to the dock, so I just left them dangling up in the area that the dash tray would go, and I duck taped them in place behind the head unit just to clean it up and have less loose wires.

When I first mounted the iPod, I had realized that the dock uses infrared (IR) waves to communicate from the remote to the dock. The drawback of IR is that it cannot go through walls and needs a direct line of sight. Because the IR sensor on our dock sits under the surface of the dash, the remote was useless. I came up with a quick fix for this...I ran to lowe's and bought this ¼” plastic tube and did a quick experiment. I attached one end of the tube to the dock IR sensor and I went around a corner with the tube and pointed the remote into the tube. Because the IR waves can bend and reflect through the tube, the waves reached the sensor and could successfully control the ipod. Its kinda like a ghetto fiber optic cable. --Just an FYI that is why we are dealing with the plastic tube.

Next, you can paint the iPod dock to match the interior, or you can leave it white….but I think you should paint it black. First, I took off the plastic shell on the dock. To do this you remove the rubber padding from the bottom of the dock, and then pry around the edges until the case pops off. Once I had the shell off, I removed the IR sensor lens and the gray plastic piece from the inside part of the plastic shell to make sure that I didn’t get paint on these pieces. Next, I used the 600 grit sandpaper to sand everywhere on the piece to help the paint stick. Then I sprayed a couple coats of plastic primer on the dock and let it dry. Once it was dry I sanded it smooth and then sprayed a few coats of the flat black paint on it. I actually screwed up the first time I painted it and had to sand it down again and paint it again. Once that was all dry, I put back the gray plastic piece which lines the input holes on the dock, but left off the IR sensor lens (because our tube will be hooking up to it we wont use the lens right now, but save it for later).

I put it all back together and it looked awesome.

I mounted a switch for the relay socket on one of my empty seat heater spots, and in the other empty spot I drilled a hole for the plastic tube to come through. I drilled the hole the size of the IR sensor lens from the ipod dock that we removed and popped the lens in from the back. Then I hot glued the end of the tube to the IR lens. Make sure that you do not get glue on the IR lens, but glue the outside of the tube. The hot glue, if blocking the lens would also block the IR waves and the remote wont work.

(Because I had to redo the switch and the IR lens, the pictures show some random imperfections in the switch and IR lens spots, I’m planning on redoing it to make it look cleaner)

When I just had the tube bare and exposed without mounting the lens over it, it worked extremely well from almost anywhere in the car. After putting the lens on, the remote only works from close up and right in front of the lens. I am planning on trying to find a small sheet of IR lens and just mounting a rectangle the size of the entire hole there to increase the range of the remote. The small circle that I am using restricts it too much.

I then put my console together and hooked up the car charger and the line out cable to my iPod dock and put it in its spot in the dash tray. The cables ended up not fitting and I had to bring in the dremel sander and sand off some more crap on the dash piece.

AND ...

I was done!

It looks soo sexy from inside the car, from outside the car, and even when the iPod isnt on it. :bigSmile:

Of course, every time i exit the car I unmount the iPod so it doesnt get stolen. :rolleyes:

This is the first real tutorial I have written, and I was happy to do it after reading all of the other tutorials that have helped me out. If you guys want some more pictures or more explanations just PM me and I'll try to take more pictures and get you more info, just let me know.... :)

EDIT/UPDATE MARCH 14 2006:
A while ago I updated the IR sensor and the relay switch in the seat heater locations to make it look a lot more clean and I never got a chance to post about it. Here are the details.

I found a guy on ebay who sells custom cut pieces of IR lens for photography enthusiasts. I contacted him and sent him the dimensions I wanted and he cut me a perfectly cut piece. If you PM me I will give you his email address. The dimensions I used was 1 5/8(one and five eighths inches) X 15/16(fifteen sixteenths inches) X 1/8 (one eighth inches). The guy is great and he cut the piece for me before I even sent him money. The total was around 10 bucks shipped.

I also added in another switch and reoriented the old switch and new swith to look more clean. The new switch I added controls weather or not I want power going to the ipod. I added this switch because the old iPod mini I used to have was constantly plugged into my car charger, and the constant charging caused the battery to die really fast. With this switch, I can only turn the power on when the ipod needs charging.

Here are the new pictures...

Also, just a side note...I have had this installed for a while now and the ipod still sits firmly in the dock. The design of the dock is amazing because even after taking the ipod in and out of the dock over a hundred times and going through hard turns multiple times, the ipod still holds firmly in the dock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice mod. +rep

you know what this inspires? people can mod their computers so they can hook up their Ipods to the top of their towers....anyway...

·
Registered
771 Posts
awesome mod.. very creative. The only thing i'd worry about is people breaking into the car to steal it. Just make sure you conceal it in shady areas

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
That looks awesome, good job!

"You must show some love to other members before giving it to kabir1287 again."

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heineken said:
nice job on the OEM look. i've been thinking about iPod mounting in the car for awhile, looks like you've found a good option. but, how does it stand up to hard cornering? and what's the viewing angle like?
Suprisingly, the dock holds the ipod really firmly. My car is lowered on s-tech's so the ride gets pretty bumpy and on hard cornering there is absolutly no movement in the ipod, it stays in that dock really firmly. Also, the dock comes with different attachments for each type of ipod to make sure it holds it firmly.

The viewing angle is not a problem. From the driver's seat everythign is crystal clear.

Thanks for the rep guys

·
Registered
957 Posts
great tutorial. amazing idea! +rep! :bigSmile"

L Tone said:
awesome mod.. very creative. The only thing i'd worry about is people breaking into the car to steal it. Just make sure you conceal it in shady areas

i'm assuming he takes the ipod off every time he parks! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Damn...way to take it to the next level. Very nice and original job, rep to you!

Glad everything worked out for you.

EDIT: opps.....You must show some love to other members before giving it to kabir1287 again.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Nice install, clean. Very creative. If I were keeping mine, I'd jump all over that install.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts