Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So you have a virgin bumper, congrats! You want to/have to mount a license plate, but don't want to screw or drill your bumper. Here is a short tutorial that will show you how to do it quickly, cheaply and effectively.

What you need:
Phillips Head Screwdriver

1 Oem Lexus Front License Plate mounting bracket (comes w/2 screws to mount plate to bracket) (dont mind mine in the pic, I cut it so I can mount it upside down for my plate higher to clear my front lip)

2 4" long 1/4" bolts

2 1/4" nuts for above bolts

2 ~3" washers

Directions:
Step 1. Remove grill. (no pics, do a search)

Step 2. Center/Place bracket where you would like, on my car, I centered it. Thread 4 inch bolts into holes and place washers on the other side of the honeycomb grill. Fasten with nuts and tighten.

Like I stated earlier, mine is mounted upside down so my plate clears my front lip, you would most likely mount yours right side up and up close to the top of the honeycomb grill, so when your plate is mounted there is no visible gap between the bumper and the plate.

Step 3. Attach License plate to mounting bracket via 2 screws.

Step 4. Reinstall grill.

*you can probably use a shorter bolt.

for those who have pm'ed me, emailed me and im'ed me to show you how to do this, i apologize for being a lazy bum and taking so long to write this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
+rep...Nice work! Do you mind if I show other people this link?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
wow... nice tutorial. definitely good for us people in Maryland since we require front license plates just like CA. 6 tickets is too much for me already.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
awesome idea man!~ no more zip ties!

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I was trying to give you rep that said, "That's creative thinking." But I accidentally hit enter. Good work!

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
so is the license plate now rubbing against the bumper? if it is, then after a few thousand miles, you're going to have to repaint that bumper..

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have some rubber spacers in there for now, its been like that for a few k and all is fine. bumper will be getting repainted once im finished repairing my front lip anyhow.

btw saw your car, glad you are ok.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Don, you are awesome. I may put this in sticky. I've never even considered that.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the encouragement, guys. hope this helps you avoid drilling your bumpers.

if you find this thread helpful, remember to use the rate a thread function so it is easier to find in the future, or if you want to place it in the faq thatd be awesome.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
i have mine ziptied in a similar fashion. i'd like to venture and say that i'm one of the first people to flip the mounting plate upside down to avoid the front lip. of course mine isn't quite done as neatly or carefully as doncorleone's... my front plate actually rests on the bumper. no paint damage after about... 2.5 years? i just use a piece of weatherstripping to keep the plate slightly spaced out from the bumper. and clean it out every time i wash my car.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
Great tutorial DonCorleone +rep

...on mines, I cut/shave the plates so it would fit within the OEM bumper grill. The "California" is still visible & ziptied it. Since the pic was taken at an angle from the top the "California" is somewhat hidden.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts