Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Figured I would do a write-up with pictures.

First off: You need a seat, seat rail, and the TRD Airbag dummy plug (Unless you make your own)

Tip: Have your new rail and seat assembled prior to starting

Difficulty: 2 out of 5 (Simple unbolt and rebolt)

Steps:

1.) Disconnect Battery!

2.)Remove Front 14mm bolts then the Rear 14mm bolts.

3.)Remove your Headrest

4.)Tilt the unbolted seat back and unclip the wiring. There should be two plugs that you undo.

5.)Plug in the dummy plug connector. The other plug isn't reconnected and doesn't affect anything.

6.)At this point you can remove your seat carefully from inside the car. Wrap the ends in a towel or something that way you don't cut your interior.

7.)With the seat out, remove the plastic cover that has the female end of the seat belt. Once the plastic cover is removed, then remove the connector itself and undo the wiring plug.

8.)Once removed, attach the female end of the seat belt to your aftermarket rail.

9.)At this point your ready to attach your aftermarket seat. (Helps to have the rail and seat already assembled prior to install). Maneuver the seat into the car and reattached the 14mm bolts and you are good to go.

10.)This is an extra step if you want to do it its up to you. I removed the lower left mounting point of the seat belt and slipped it through the harness hole in my seat the reattached it to make better use of the stock seat belt.

11.)Reconnect battery and enjoy the holding power of a new seat.

Hope this helps. Rep appreciated :p

-Joe

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
+ rep. Nice write up.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Good stuff. How much weight did you save?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Excellent Write Up !!!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is the place I ordered the dummy plug. http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php Item #158-112-037

The weight of my seat is at least 30lbs. It was a full leather, power seat, non heated.

I love my new seat and recommend doing this for anyone that tracks their car.

-Joe

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
hey joe! wow congrats dude! i gotta see this in person one of these days! hopefully soon we'll have a little mini meet or something!!!
+rep dude!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A quick note. The wiring that isn't connected is for your seat motors to get power and the connector on the female end of the seatbelt is for the "Hey Idiot Your Seatbelt Isn't On" light. So yeah don't worry about those if you have common sense and wear your seatbelt.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
what brackets are u using? wedge?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The seat rail I am using is the ZEP Super Low Seat Rail from RHDJapan.com. Took about 2 months to get it and it was well worth it. Fabulous design (only complaint would be to have a dual lock mechanism for the slider).

-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
The seat rail I am using is the ZEP Super Low Seat Rail from RHDJapan.com. Took about 2 months to get it and it was well worth it. Fabulous design (only complaint would be to have a dual lock mechanism for the slider).

-Joe
Yea I was just looking at the picture, and saw the lock leverage only on one side. I ended up grabbing a pair of Sparco DOuble Locking sliders. I haven't gotten brackets yet, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
So if i wanted to remove my seat to just clean under it i would need a dummy plug?
No, the dummy plug is a resistor pack that stimulates the airbag. Without the plug you will run into a airbag malfunction light on the dash. Unless you are planning to unplug it and not plug it back in then you don't have to worry about the dummy plug.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what brackets are u using? wedge?
The rail is all set up as one piece. Attach the brackets for the seat part and go. It's all part of the ZEP Racing Seat Rail.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
The rail is all set up as one piece. Attach the brackets for the seat part and go. It's all part of the ZEP Racing Seat Rail.

-Joe
I realize that. It's very similar to the Bride rail and slider assembly. Sparco and Recaro uses a two piece system which has a bracket and a slider unit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
will i need two dummy plugs if i replace both front seats

1 - 20 of 24 Posts