Lexus IS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
great info, u just saved me $ on my car insuarance!!!!, lol naw u just saved me $ from paying a shop when my new black headlights come in

Originall posted by Monetaryfund and edited by Sophiesleeps for tutorial purposes.

3. While you at it, take this screw off which is the only hidden screw for the bumper on each side.
I don't mean to bump such an old thread, but this screw is really really really annoying to unscrew. Any tips for this step? such a tight squeeze, no tool i own will "cup" the top screw. I'm only trying to to remove the front bumper btw.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went to the hardware store and picked up some small wrenches and a socket extension accessory. Thnx for this thread. +rep

Worked like a charm. I removed and replaced the headlight controller on the passenger side. With the instructions printed out, I did the job in about two hours.

I recommend also removing the small crossmember under the headlight. 4 nuts and one bolt. It made life much easier.

By the way I found the computer/controller for my 02 is300 at ebay motors.
The Lexus dealer wanted $1200. I got mine, new OEM for 159.95.

Thanks guys.

You should make your own thread ...

WOW never would have guess you had to remove the bumper to change turn signals, Thanks for all the info guys. REP

Revived thread. Haha. Happy 2014 yall first car work of 2014 and it's a pain in the arse. It's a bish to remove the ballast wire and adapter bulb it won't squeeze through. I removed the second wire for more move room but still a bish. Any tips would be useful. Tried removing the headlight adjuster motor too. Don't seem possible.

Revived thread. Haha. Happy 2014 yall first car work of 2014 and it's a pain in the arse. It's a bish to remove the ballast wire and adapter bulb it won't squeeze through. I removed the second wire for more move room but still a bish. Any tips would be useful. Tried removing the headlight adjuster motor too. Don't seem possible.
Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the winshield washer reservoir neck so you have enough room and possibly the stock air box if equipped. Make sure to unlock the bulb and squeeze the two clips to release it, I've used a mirror and that seemed to help me. Providing the new housing supports the level motor feature it should transplant over, many other have. Sorry I don't have info on that, other than that they twist out but there are locking tabs you have to bend down to clear the housing. As long as the housing is OEM or Eagle Eyes brand it should swap over no problem.

Edit; this link and the the link within may offer some tips as well if you haven't seen it, here's the link.(ignore the aftermarket stuff if swapping with OEM).
http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-aftermarket-hid-install-435923/

Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the winshield washer reservoir neck so you have enough room and possibly the stock air box if equipped. Make sure to unlock the bulb and squeeze the two clips to release it, I've used a mirror and that seemed to help me. Providing the new housing supports the level motor feature it should transplant over, many other have. Sorry I don't have info on that, other than that they twist out but there are locking tabs you have to bend down to clear the housing. As long as the housing is OEM or Eagle Eyes brand it should swap over no problem.

Edit; this link and the the link within may offer some tips as well if you haven't seen it, here's the link.(ignore the aftermarket stuff if swapping with OEM).
http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-aftermarket-hid-install-435923/
Cool thanks for the info. I was actually talking about removing the ballast unit. The end plug is so bulky and big it is real hard to clear and pull out from the bottom. It is bulby giant silvermetal plug that plugs into the light bulb. That thing rubs against the inner headlight housing. I got it out though. Pretty much cracked a part of the plastic on the plug. But putting it back in seemed easier. I found it easier to pull that ballest plug out or put back in face or plug down to the headlight housing.

I'm not sure why u would add an aftermarket hid kit but thanks for the link. I'mma read into it too. I do want hid fogs. Looks like he installed that too
I agree, aftermarket is a downgrade IMO. Denso ballasts ftw! Lol

Hopefully the links help some and glad to hear you got the silver socket out. It's been awhile since I messed with the headlights. Good luck to ya.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.