Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some time out of my day today to try to figure out how to take off the gas door that everyone says is impossible because it is spot welded on. Well I found a quick and easy way to do it! It only take 10-15 minutes!

I hope this helps everyone, I havent heard of one person that said they knew how to take it off, or ever thought you could. :)

I think this should be added to the sticky to help people out. In the future, everyone will know how to do it then.

Tools:

1) Flat screw driver

2) Masking tape

Steps:

1) Tape around gas lid, so you dont scratch the car upon removal.

2) Pry off gas cap cord from door.

3) With screwdriver placed under this "spring lever thing," pry up. It will pop right off.

This is what it looks like when off. It just has a circular cut out that is push fitted onto the hinger bar.

4) Next, use the flat screwdriver to bend back the top tab so that it clears the hinge bar.

5) Next, use the flat screwdriver to bend back the bottom tab so that it clears the hinge bar.

6) Close the gas door to about 30-45 degrees and push toward the front of the car so that the tabs you just bent clear the hinge bar. Close more if needed.

7) Pull outward and the door is free.

8) Congrats, You're done!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great job! +rep

Are you replacing with a CF door.

Not to thread jack, but has anyone had experience with their gas door lid not sitting flush with the car? Mine sticks out and it has always bothered me.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Very nice tutorial. I was thinking of adding a CF gas door, now I know how to do it, thanks. +rep

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Oh, and you have my vote to have this added to the sticky.

·
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and you have my vote to have this added to the sticky.
I just thought it would be a good idea because to my knowledge, no one has removed it yet. Every thread I searched through, everyone said it is spot welded on and you cant get it off.

·
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now parked in the Tutorial Thread for DIY ers for anyone interested in doing this in the future and dont want to search for this thread.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
ahhhh good stuff, always wondered how to take it off, now watch yourself, i might syphon your premium gasoline! mauahaha
+rep!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Woah, my fuel door doesnt look like that. I have a tether hook on the inside of the door that is absolutely useless! I want that part you have that holds the gas cap!!!!!

+rep for taking time for this

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
+ rep for some good info!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
nice, I am getting a jdmeyes lip shipped soon. I was trying to figure out how to get it off myself. I didn't want to leave the car at the paint shop and pay for a rental. + rep

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
nice tutorial. have some rep for the effort plus pics

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check out "lextasy.com" i saw one there on a dark gray is.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great job! +rep

Are you replacing with a CF door.

Not to thread jack, but has anyone had experience with their gas door lid not sitting flush with the car? Mine sticks out and it has always bothered me.
Mine sticks out a little bit. BTW good write up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts