Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300 (turbonetics kit)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I finally was able to pickup the na-t is300 I was looking at for a while. The previous owner was very nice and gave me a lot of information on the car. So I decided to pick it up. He built the motor and bought a turbonetics kit that he installed, but after that the car sat for almost a decade (due to him gettung a new car). Yes I know a LONGGG TIME. Car starts up fine and drives pretty well for sitting so long. Only thing I noticed was tranny was a little laggy but my stock is is somewhat the same and I plan on upgrading it. He said he got it street tuned at token solutions.(which I read was good shop at the time)

My plan is to refresh everything, get a retune for now and see what the tuner says about the cars performance through data logging. My plan for the car is to have it push anywhere from 500-650whp. I've done a fair amount of research, so my starting point will be upgrading the trans with the valve body upgrade and a trans cooler. I will also be getting 1000cc injectors, upgraded fuel pump, flex fuel kit, and purchasing an lsd since my car didn't come with that option

Rebuild DONE BY WrenchPro
-Arias Pistons .20 over
-ACL Race series Rod bearings
-ACL Main bearings
-Rear/Front Main seal
-Valve cover gasket
-Head gasket (Cometic)
-Spark plugs
-ARP Head studs
-Crank gear pulley
-Timing belt
-Oil, Coolant, P/S, and Trans Service.

Modifications
-Turbonetics 60-1 Kit (Freshly Rebuilt) NEW SEALS)
-Turbonetics wastegate set at 6PSI
-Greddy Emanage Ultimate
-Greddy BOV
-HKS Full 3in Exhaust
-Apex Turbo Timer
-Tein coilobers
-Cusco front rear bar
-Aem Boost/Oil/Voltage Gauges

I've read about lexluga (forum member) I believe was his name, who ran the kit with a similar setup. His numbers seemed a bit low to me. It seemed to be due to the tuner. Worst case scenario I'll get a bigger turbo. I will be doing a Youtube Channel Vlog about the build and also following up in here as well. I also have a built GTO and the forums have always been so helpful. Hopefully some of you will chime in and let me know if I am missing something or can help me if I get stuck somewhere. Anyways thanks for reading.

Chris

·
3,093 Posts
You will need to change out from that piggy back ECU for the power range you want. You will need a stand alone.
I would like to see a copy of Shawn's old maps he tuned for that car. If you could pm them to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to change out from that piggy back ECU for the power range you want. You will need a stand alone.
I would like to see a copy of Shawn's old maps he tuned for that car. If you could pm them to me.
Really? I’ve seen people pushing those numbers using the emanage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Really? I’ve seen people pushing those numbers using the emanage
You could use the emanage to get those numbers. Jeff Tsai did it with his GS300. Finding someone to tune it may prove difficult. There’s not much impetus to use a piggy nowadays - passing emissions on an OBD2 is the only reason I can think of - and standalones have built in safeguards and are capable of so much more. You can start out with the emanage but I’d definitely budget for something better down the road before I got into big boost numbers. I’m interested in the YT channel I like all things IS300.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe i'm missing something but i'm not seeing rods as being replaced on your list? At that HP goal you will bend the GE ones for sure.

In case you hadn't already thought of it, if its been sitting for a decade the timing belt will need to be changed. They have a mileage and a time limit, i know cause mine apparently got its first change due to it hitting the 10 year mark. ;)

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
551 Posts
I second above. If the rods are still the STOCK GE rods then pushing it over 500whp (I assume that’s what you mean?) is crazy. The stock ring lands are really the problem and I see the pistons have been changed which will solve that. However the physical size of the GE rods is what scares me. They are like pencils compared to GTE rods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe i'm missing something but i'm not seeing rods as being replaced on your list? At that HP goal you will bend the GE ones for sure.

In case you hadn't already thought of it, if its been sitting for a decade the timing belt will need to be changed. They have a mileage and a time limit, i know cause mine apparently got its first change due to it hitting the 10 year mark. ;)
hmm i didnt think about the timing chain. He actually said, that he would turn on the car every 2-3 weeks. I haven't heard any weird noises coming from the motor. I believe it should be ok if the car was being turned on.... ?When I drove the car, it drove pretty smooth no cel lights or anything that sounded abnormal.

·
3,093 Posts
hmm i didnt think about the timing chain. He actually said, that he would turn on the car every 2-3 weeks. I haven't heard any weird noises coming from the motor. I believe it should be ok if the car was being turned on.... ?When I drove the car, it drove pretty smooth no cel lights or anything that sounded abnormal.
It is better safe than sorry on the timing belt. It is not good for the to sit. Even running it a little every now and then. Age is age.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is better safe than sorry on the timing belt. It is not good for the to sit. Even running it a little every now and then. Age is age.
True in that sense. I'll keep that in mind if I get any noise from the motor. As of now its really motor quite and everything is running smooth so I won't mess with it at the moment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post a link on the vids today hopefully.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I was able to find someone reliable that can tune my is300 is 2jzge-t. I made an appointment next week to have the car dyno tuned. Will be changing fluids and cleaning it before before taking it in next week. I did however notice that the car throws a bit of white smoke only when getting on it a bit. Not sure what that’s from. No noises,No leaks, oil pressure is fine. I’m not sure what else to check. I’m a bit nervous to push it on the dyno like that. Any ideas what else it can be? I was thinking the turbo (even though it was just redone with new seals) ? 🤔

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah ah timing belts dont usually make any strange noises till they snap and the valves are being interfered with. Your call though for a $60? item, tensioners and pumps should be fine. Rubber perishes over time, but wears over mileage, either way a risk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah ah timing belts dont usually make any strange noises till they snap and the valves are being interfered with. Your call though for a $60? item, tensioners and pumps should be fine. Rubber perishes over time, but wears over mileage, either way a risk
actually timing belts do usually make noise, and tensioners also do seem to be the cause of timing belts failing. I'm going to take the motor apart this week and go from there. Just going to do a minor dismantle of the covers, intake. throttle body etc.

·
3,093 Posts
actually timing belts do usually make noise, and tensioners also do seem to be the cause of timing belts failing. I'm going to take the motor apart this week and go from there. Just going to do a minor dismantle of the covers, intake. throttle body etc.
Only in cases that they were worn out reused tensioners. Or so kind of flawed part.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
551 Posts
Just change the belt. It’s not that hard. It will be extra insurance. It seems as if you can handle the work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just change the belt. It’s not that hard. It will be extra insurance. It seems as if you can handle the work.
It will be done. You guys convinced/peer pressured me to not wait a little bitand just get it done and over with. You guys are right. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽.

as for the smoke? Anyone experience this? I’m assuming it has something to do with the tune? There’s nothing I can trace it back to

·
Registered
893 Posts
Assume you mean white smoke out the exhaust? If so from what i remember white means its running lean, blueish is rich and black is oil burning. What are the afr when its like that? Might need tuning

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sweet, looks like a nice way to get a quick turbo IS300.

I'll give your YT chan a few views and subscribe, good luck. (y)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts