Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... need some advice on which tuner to go with, based on their kits and not location, both tuners are about the same distance from me in NYC, plus/minus a few miles only.

heres my situation, i have an 02 MSM Eshift that i do not track, but am a spirited driver, i am looking for NO MORE than 400-450rwhp. Hence i dunno if i should go with the piggyback or standalone since i will not plan on upping my HP in the future.

When i do decide on the kit, i will be going with ALL the options, VB upgrade, tranny cooler, torque converter (which i picked up from budda 300), exhaust etc...which will be all in-house installed.

I've read of issues of CELs and being unable to pass emissions tests with a piggyback but can with a standalone...true?
so I need to know: which would better fit me..a piggyback (TE) or standalone(SRT)?
I basically want a kit that i do not have much problems with, and researching the forums i came across so many threads regarding turbos that its hard to decipher which are truly facts and which are mere "passed-on" opinions, not to mention most TE turbo owners are only stage 1 and most aren't in-house installed which would explain most CEL probs.

i should also mention i am looking into the TE sport race kit or the SRT stage 3. i just want to iron out all my questions before laying out the $. Thanks, Steve

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Fact: I never had a CEL with piggy and would be able to pass emissions depending on state regulations. All other cars I've worked on never had CEL's. No tricks about it.

If you want a kit without problems, you're in the same boat as everyone else.
I never had a problem with e-manage, even when I left it horribly untuned. I'm on a haltech e6x now and still don't really have any problems.

This is what I believe:
People seem to have more problems with e-manage because most times it's self-installed or installed by a tuner who doesn't have much experience. This is more of a DIY project so a lot of people will run into issues and thus post their problems.

Most if not almost all Haltech installs are installed and tuned by the major IS300 tuners so people will not report as many problems because it's really not a DIY project.

Either will work.
There are pro's and con's to both.
And I believe if you want, Jeff can do a haltech for you if you want. Usually most tuners will cater to the customer needs and switch out parts.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sopie...I agree with you that most problems occur when a kit is installed by someone other than the tuner who developed it, hence the reason i am doing an in-house install with either TE or SRT.

Although i am a bit leaning towards SRT's Stage 3 for the haltech fx10, is it true that a piggy is more plug and play unlike the Haltech? my car's a daily driver and i dunno how difficult it can be tuning my car everytime i take it out for a drive....NYC uses OBDII for their inspections...will an emanage be better than standalone in terms of passing cause i am also going with a hi flow cat with the kit.

everyone suggests standalone is the way to go for turbo period but because im not much of a tuner/racer i like the piggyback. i also dont want to remove my CEL bulbs like some and "blindly" pretend i don't have a problem you know? so any expert advice from ya as to which i should go with would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
u wont pass NY inspection with a turbo kit...no way in hell....u cannot fool the computer and person inspecting it...you will have to pay $$$ to get around it, not too bad though....

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
beansprouts said:
Thanks Sopie...I agree with you that most problems occur when a kit is installed by someone other than the tuner who developed it, hence the reason i am doing an in-house install with either TE or SRT.

Although i am a bit leaning towards SRT's Stage 3 for the haltech fx10, is it true that a piggy is more plug and play unlike the Haltech? my car's a daily driver and i dunno how difficult it can be tuning my car everytime i take it out for a drive....NYC uses OBDII for their inspections...will an emanage be better than standalone in terms of passing cause i am also going with a hi flow cat with the kit.

everyone suggests standalone is the way to go for turbo period but because im not much of a tuner/racer i like the piggyback. i also dont want to remove my CEL bulbs like some and "blindly" pretend i don't have a problem you know? so any expert advice from ya as to which i should go with would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, Steve
You can easily pass inspection if all they do is plug and check for codes with the e-manage and an 02 sim (without a cat)

With a standalone, I believe PFS simulates signals so no CEl is thrown.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
beansprouts said:
which unit (emanage or Haltech) is easier to use in my case? Thanks, Steve
It doesn't sound like you're gonna have any interaction with either one of them. So neither one is easier to use. What will you be doing with it?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
You can easily pass inspection if all they do is plug and check for codes with the e-manage and an 02 sim (without a cat)

With a standalone, I believe PFS simulates signals so no CEl is thrown.
cel isn't what fails a obdII scan. it's uncompleted tests and the PFS resets the ecu so your tests will not be complete. no standalone will pass obdII scan.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well, neither kit is just plug & play right? i may have been really misinformed or may have badly misinterpert the info i've read but don't you have to upload different "maps" into the system from an outside source depending on the weather conditions that affects the air/fuel ratio so you're not running too lean or too rich ?

what's PFS? something Fuel System? sorry still learning the lingo. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS_Dude said:
cel isn't what fails a obdII scan. it's uncompleted tests and the PFS resets the ecu so your tests will not be complete. no standalone will pass obdII scan.
Opps..okay, yeah i know about PFS, just thought it was an abbrev for something else. Sounded like a system of some sort.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so is it true that if i do not go over 400rwhp i should go Emanage, just that the idea of getting CELs really bothers me....

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
beansprouts said:
so is it true that if i do not go over 400rwhp i should go Emanage, just that the idea of getting CELs really bothers me....
if the idea of getting CEL's bother you, you shouldn't get a turbo. Not trying to be harsh, but that's the least of your problems. A turbo kit on this car and it WILL not be like stock anymore. it is a drastic change and you shouldn't worry about little stuff.

·
Registered
355 Posts
IS_Dude Quote:
Originally Posted by beansprouts

if the idea of getting CEL's bother you, you shouldn't get a turbo. Not trying to be harsh, but that's the least of your problems. A turbo kit on this car and it WILL not be like stock anymore. it is a drastic change and you shouldn't worry about little stuff
I agree, You can get CEL even if your none turbo and have an intake. If you do get CEL just get it check for what code its giving out and get it fix. Then you be good to go again. :)

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
beansprouts said:
just that the idea of getting CELs really bothers me....
Well, then you've made your decision.
Stay stock.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
u wont pass NY inspection with a turbo kit...no way in hell....u cannot fool the computer and person inspecting it...you will have to pay $$$ to get around it, not too bad though....
what are you talking about? if you pass emission and dont have CELs youll pass.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So most turbo owners with a stage 2 and higher out there are running their cars with a CEL? and with 400-450rwhp, will an emanage give me less problems or should i just get a standalone..Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
226 Posts
You seem confused my friend......If you are worried about CEL then you are not ready for a Turbo kit especially an SRT stage 3....most forced induction that is not factory is not engineered to pass emissions.....so keep it stock like me and i PROMISE no CELs.lol

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Sentinel said:
what are you talking about? if you pass emission and dont have CELs youll pass.

how can you pass emissions with no cats on the car? even if you dont have a CEL, i've heard from people that the test computer at motor vehichels will still detect the lack of cats when they stick the thing in the exhaust...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts