Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was practicing my launching a few nights ago and it's def. a lot more trickier than when I was N/A. I do the usual powerbrake to around 2000-2500.

The major problem I ran into was that if I hold the powerbreak, I wil lbuild boost off the line. When I hit it and take off, the tires spin like a mother-f. The revs fly up to redline before it even hits 30mph at the to pof the gear. I had to let off the gas, and then get back on it and it finished first gear quickly and shifted onto second. If I launch at around 2k rpms sometimes the tires kind of skip and then i'm good to go, but it seems slower.

What do you turbo guys do to launch the best way (automatic obviously) so control the wheel spin. Should I just let the it hit the revlimiter until it hits 30 and shifts?

I'm practicing to get ready for the Nov 2nd meet at e-town where I'm gonna track the car for the first time. Last time I was there was my first time ever doing it, and I only got one run. 15.8 @ 89 mph...against a loud ass 12.5 second muscle car :lol: Hopefully I will see some mid-high 13 second times!

Hopefully all the boost gods will chime in and give me tips. Also, keep in mind it's cold in NY, around 40 f so maybe it's cold tires, less traction? Thanks! :D

P.S. Who the fuck stole my 40 legit dots?! :pissed:

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I'd ask Freelance. Remember his 1st IS (RIP) ran a 12.40 at the track? I think he'd have a better idea.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was at MIR a few weeks ago and got to have my first experience behind the wheel on the track. I was getting consistent 2.3 and 2.4 60' times, mostly due to wheel spin. The guys running the MT et streets were getting .5-.8 sec better than I was. I have 265's in the back, vs. the 245's you have, and launching at 2500-3000 or so I was still spinning pretty good. I guess the best advice I can give is not to do a huge burnout on the street tires. I did once, and it yielded my worst 60' of the day (2.8). When I did smaller burnouts, just enough to get the crap off the tires, my 60' times were much better. My best 60' of the day was a 2.2 which I got with a horrific burnout (left tc on :().

If you can swing it, I would strongly recommend some e/t streets. .5 off my time would have put me in the mid 12's (I managed a 13.2 for my best run with a 2.3 60'). Also, with the slicks, you can build a little more boost for your launch, which should yield a better time as well.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
DarkStorm said:
I was at MIR a few weeks ago and got to have my first experience behind the wheel on the track. I was getting consistent 2.3 and 2.4 60' times, mostly due to wheel spin. The guys running the MT et streets were getting .5-.8 sec better than I was. I have 265's in the back, vs. the 245's you have, and launching at 2500-3000 or so I was still spinning pretty good. I guess the best advice I can give is not to do a huge burnout on the street tires. I did once, and it yielded my worst 60' of the day (2.8). When I did smaller burnouts, just enough to get the crap off the tires, my 60' times were much better. My best 60' of the day was a 2.2 which I got with a horrific burnout (left tc on :().

If you can swing it, I would strongly recommend some e/t streets. .5 off my time would have put me in the mid 12's (I managed a 13.2 for my best run with a 2.3 60'). Also, with the slicks, you can build a little more boost for your launch, which should yield a better time as well.
damn man..and remember I was there at etown in the spring when Ray ran your car with slicks to the 11.8 !!!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would suggest a very small burnout (again, just to knock the crap off the tires). If you don't want wheel spin, then I would suggest you soft launch the car. Anything much above idle (with tc off of course) will spin the tires. As I'm sure you've found, leaving the tc on is not really an option since it cuts power until traction is established again. This will destroy a 1/4mi time.

There's not a whole lot of options here. You can either reduce the initial power to the tires or you can get better traction. Another option might be to get an EBC of some kind that is gear dependent (like avc-r or sbc). These will let you limit the boost in first to say 6 or 8 psi to keep the power down until you hit second, where you could bump up to 10 or 12 and the full boost for 3rd and above.

Even with the temp. being cooler up north where you are, a huge burnout will still make your tires gooey instead of sticky. Traction will be reduced and more spinning will occur. A decent burnout on street tires shouldn't last more than a second or two and there certainly shouldn't be a big cloud of smoke.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
ET streets or drag radials, I dont care what anyone says you will never get good traction on street tires, your times will be horrible. It all depends on how serious you are about racing, if you just want to go out to the track for kicks then street tires are good, but if you want to put some respectable times down you need stickier tires. You dont want to go out there with a turboed lexus and run high 13's and low 14's, its embarrasing.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
ltuned&boosted said:
ET streets or drag radials, I dont care what anyone says you will never get good traction on street tires, your times will be horrible. It all depends on how serious you are about racing, if you just want to go out to the track for kicks then street tires are good, but if you want to put some respectable times down you need stickier tires. You dont want to go out there with a turboed lexus and run high 13's and low 14's, its embarrasing.
:lol:

I hear ya man....I cant wait to see what your car does on Nov 9th...damn, might have to drive down for that....

yo brian, would you drive down to MD with me to check that race out at MIR?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If I rev too high my tires spin my car goes sideways and my 60 ft sucks, if I rev too low my tires still spin a little but 60 ft still suffers. I will def not go back to the track until I have some et streets. This is with 265mm tires in the rear as well with low tire pressure.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
ltuned&boosted said:
as much as I agree with ya my question is what is respectable times? freelance went 12.0's on street tires with trap speeds on point of a low 11 high ten easy.. 127mph....I do agree the traction is key but you can still get decent times on street tires if need be..

12.4 on street tires and pump gas is respectable isnt it ?? i am not pickin an argument but just debating..on mid boost at that..

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
ltuned&boosted said:
:

I might go up there nov 2 if all is good.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
ltuned&boosted said:
tsopranoMB said:
ltuned&boosted said:
:lol:

I might go up there nov 2 if all is good.
sweet man...hope you can.....would luv to see your beast run against the domestics!

etown track should be nice and fast for you... 8)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
fairuza11 said:
ltuned&boosted said:
as much as I agree with ya my question is what is respectable times? freelance went 12.0's on street tires with trap speeds on point of a low 11 high ten easy.. 127mph....I do agree the traction is key but you can still get decent times on street tires if need be..

12.4 on street tires and pump gas is respectable isnt it ?? i am not pickin an argument but just debating..on mid boost at that..

Yea it is really respectable but you and freelance could do much much better. I hate running high 12's on street tires because of wheelspin, I just want my car to put out what it should on a more consistent basis. I guess being involved in supra forums has made me unimpressed with 12's
:lol: Those guys can put a whole lot more width of rubber on a daily basis giving them an advantage as well. Also seeing those domestics run 10's and 11's every week makes me want to step it up a level even more when I know my car is capable of those times.

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
ok ok ok! Back on topic! :lol:

How do I go faster? :crazy:
Lol, you wanna go faster you listen to ltuned&boosted, freelance, and fairuza...

That's like sitting in math class and asking "How do I learn more math???" Listen to the teacher! :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.