1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
6,678 Posts
can't hurt. i have one and i don't even have boost yet! haha

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
I've had my car turbo'd for about 5+ years....never had a turbo timer...

I always let it cool down about 2mins and keep tabs on the EGT's and water temp...then turn it off...:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've had turbo cars for over a decade, every single one of them had/have one and every single one of my future turbo cars will also have one.

You will come upon a time where you can't sit there with your car prior to it shutting down. For me, the most serious one was having to get to the hospital ASAP. Pull in, set the timer to 5 minutes as I got out, locked her up and went to the ER.

For their cost, there's zero reason not to get one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had turbo cars for over a decade, every single one of them had/have one and every single one of my future turbo cars will also have one.

You will come upon a time where you can't sit there with your car prior to it shutting down. For me, the most serious one was having to get to the hospital ASAP. Pull in, set the timer to 5 minutes as I got out, locked her up and went to the ER.

Yeah thats true, I dont always sit in my car for a few minutes before I shut it down. Its probably worth it for me to throw one in.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
turbo timer is cheap compared to all the other crap u need so why not get it. I have one its awesome park and walk away wait for it to shut of then lock no having to baby sit the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i run a stock aristo swap w/ ecu and 4spd trans. basically all i got extra is the FMIC, open intake and 3 inch exhaust from the down pipe back. should i use a turbo timer even tho im on stock boost?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i run a turbo timer as well. i love it cuz i dont have to sit in the car and wait for it to cool down to shut off. i can just set it and walk away. its funny also when ppl get in my car and i get out while car is running. they always say ur not scared somebody is going to steal it lol.. umm no cuz teh car will be locked and there is no key.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you don't like to sit in your car for 1-5 minutes to let it cool then get a turbo timer.
Its ALWAYS recommended that you allow any turbocharged Vehicle to idle for a minimum of 1 minute at start up to lubricate the turbo's internals before driving. And idle 1-5 minutes to cool before shuting down the engine. This saves the turbo from premature damage.
Most turbocharged vehicle, even from 80's, will tell you this in their owner's manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I just realized that you have a Conquest/Starion from you post. I've got an 89 SHP. The driver's side viser on that car tells you to let the turbo lubricate and cool for minimum of 60 sec. Nothing like StarQuest!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I dont have one, and dont plan on getting one. i used to have the greddy type 1 (i think) turbo timer in my eclipse. i set the thing to automatic mode. if you watch it, everytime you push it, the time will go up. and lets say i was drving on the highway at 65mph, the turbo timer would say 0. if i was boosting and driving fast into the parking lot, then the timer would keep the car on. if i drove in there normally it would just shut right off.

point being--dont drive your car hard right before you turn it off, just drive it easily for the last few minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
I dont have one, and dont plan on getting one. i used to have the greddy type 1 (i think) turbo timer in my eclipse. i set the thing to automatic mode. if you watch it, everytime you push it, the time will go up. and lets say i was drving on the highway at 65mph, the turbo timer would say 0. if i was boosting and driving fast into the parking lot, then the timer would keep the car on. if i drove in there normally it would just shut right off.

point being--dont drive your car hard right before you turn it off, just drive it easily for the last few minutes.
i second this, especially since turbo timers and the IS factory alarm don't get a long.

wherever i go i am never pounding my car right to the second i shut it down, i usually take it really easy, be it in a neighborhood or parking lot, for a few minutes which is just as good as letting it sit

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If the car isn't boosting at all for the last 5 minutes before you turn it off 100% of the time then sure, you're fine.

Do you really, always, pay enough attention to remember to do that? Do you, 100% of the time, drive in situations where you can drive the car very easily for 5 minutes before parking? (or remember to sit in it and wait if not)?

If you can always, 100% of the time, do the above, then no need for one.

If you suspect you will, ever, not do so, it's very cheap insurance to install one.

Bonus: You get the fun of people telling you as you walk away "Hey buddy, you forgot to turn your car off!" all the time... You just smile and tell em "Don't worry, it'll turn itself off" and they just stare at you like you told them it orders pizzas for you too or something.... half the time they'll actually wait around to watch if it does it or not.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've noticed that, even if you do idle for several minutes before shutting down, a ball bearing turbo will still be audibly spinning for a minute or so. Being that the turbo is still being spun even when the engine is idling, no matter how long you idle before shutting down you still have shaft rotation without oiling.

With the above in mind, I've installed a Canton Turbo Oiler - This is a 1-quart accumulator that stores pressurized oil while the engine is running, then when the engine stops it slowly releases pressurized oil to the turbo bearing. A much better solution than a timer, IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.