Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked to my dad today about buying a turbo. I asked him if he would let me as like a christmas gift (when it comes), if i could get a turbo and make payments to him every month to pay it off. He said he'll think about it ... it sounded like he would let me. I also mentioned bringing it to the track and he liked the idea as long as i wasnt speeding on the street... you know.

So i wanted to get your guys advice on some things.... before i grab this turbo, should i get rid of my NA mods (intake, cam gear, exhaust, safc)(that's all the aftermarket stuff i have.)and use the money to buy suspension? or is there something i am missing that is more important to buy before getting turbo?

Also... I am stuck between

PFS Stage 1 -No FMIC, No Head Gasket, 340bhp -6,000 + install + tuning= $7000?
or
Turbo East Stage 1 -HAS FMIC, still no Head Gasket, pretuned... BUT... has 365 bhp... which must be borderline of the cranks limit... and a new one of those can add up to another $1000
-5,494 + possible $1000= $6500 + install = $7500?

any opinions? do you think the crank will be fine with the TE Stage 1? or should i just go with the PFS?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
TE stage 1 a no brainer!!

i've seen PFS stage 1's putting down very weak 240-250 rwhp....unless u splurge for stage 2, then dont bother with stage 1...

Turboeast is def best bang for the buck! :approve:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the stock clutch with 50k miles on it... should i have to worry about getting a new one ?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i would say instead of getting suspension with your turbo...i say you invest in some top notch brakes....then get some suspension after....

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
a headgasket is not expensive....250 or something...so you can always tell the shop to do the work for you. however, i think it will be an extra 5-10 hours of work. probably better to do everything at once.

good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All After market parts i need? for this turbo kit.
-Head Gasket
-Full cat back exhaust... should it be 3" piping?
-suspension/brakes (optional but smart)

1. I am going with turbo east stage 1 (do i need any of the options they list?)
2. sell my HKS Hiper, Joe Z, and SAFC
3. will my clutch be ok with 50 k miles on it? (at 365 bhp)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont mind this post

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
theformat26 said:
All After market parts i need? for this turbo kit.
-Head Gasket
-Full cat back exhaust... should it be 3" piping?
-suspension/brakes (optional but smart)

1. I am going with turbo east stage 1 (do i need any of the options they list?)
2. sell my HKS Hiper, Joe Z, and SAFC
3. will my clutch be ok with 50 k miles on it? (at 365 bhp)
my recommendation would be:
1. i'm not sure if you need a head gasket for TE budget kit (Stage 1). but from I've been reading so far, the kit works beautifully with a stock headgasket. any turbo gurus out there, please help me out on this; am i right that there's no need to a head gasket for TE budget kit?
2. keep your hks or if you want to sell it, get the PFS turbo exhaust. also, dont forget about hi flow cat, piping, etc
3. you might want to have these as well: turbo timer, gauges (boost, egt, oil press, oil temp), wideband
4. better suspension and brakes, as other had said
5. replace your clutch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts