Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any guess on if or when there will be an option to have a supercharger added to our is 300's? If so, what other modifications / applications will have to along with the supercharger?

(Waiting for more hp)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Too high static compression ratio to use a s/c or turbo. With 10.5, you will only be able to boost 3-4 psi without guaranteed detonation. It's not worth the cost for 40-50 extra hp. I'd sooner use N20 and retard the timing 2 degrees for a gain of 75 hp.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ricer I300 said:
Too high static compression ratio to use a s/c or turbo. With 10.5, you will only be able to boost 3-4 psi without guaranteed detonation. It's not worth the cost for 40-50 extra hp. I'd sooner use N20 and retard the timing 2 degrees for a gain of 75 hp.
You're a foreign troll bent on dispensing misinformation, aren't ya?

Several turbo and SC kits are already available, most running on the stock compression and gaining over 100hp at just stage 1. The SRT turbo makes 280rwhp from 7 psi, PHR makes 330rwhp from 6psi, I won't waste my time with more examples. They can all be found in "Go Fast Stuff" forum.

Every single post this guy has ever made has been an embedded lie in one form or another, all trying to 1) get the IS300 owner to damage/hobble his car, 2) convincing him that his car is somehow horribly slow, and 3) that there is no potential out of the car.

Please reference these posts:

http://www.is300.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=133118277
http://www.is300.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=133118281
http://www.is300.net/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&p=133118287

·
Registered
16 Posts
Off-Track is just that.........OFF TRACK. Talk about someone with little to probably absolutely not one shred of mechanical knowledge or theory understanding.

10.5:1 is not a motor set up for forced induction. If anyone disagrees, please find me a single factory s/c'd or turbo'd production (for street) automobile with 9.0:1 compression or higher. I can save you some time and tell you that there aren't any. Kinda proves my point huh?

Yes, you can do it. It's just not a good idea (in the opinion of most knowledgeable people). I'm sure Cooter at the local dyno tune will tell you different......but he worked at Jiffy Lube last month! :shame:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ricer I300 said:
Off-Track is just that.........OFF TRACK. Talk about someone with little to probably absolutely not one shred of mechanical knowledge or theory understanding.

10.5:1 is not a motor set up for forced induction. If anyone disagrees, please find me a single factory s/c'd or turbo'd production (for street) automobile with 9.0:1 compression or higher. I can save you some time and tell you that there aren't any. Kinda proves my point huh?

Yes, you can do it. It's just not a good idea (in the opinion of most knowledgeable people). I'm sure Cooter at the local dyno tune will tell you different......but he worked at Jiffy Lube last month! :shame:
Oh, you're a genius... What insight you must possess to know that this motor isn't set-up for F/I out-of-the-box. Maybe the fact that there aren't two turbos hanging off of the exhaust manifold? :lol:

Of course the 2JZ-GE's 10.5:1 is a N/A compression ratio. But it has shown to take some boost effectively even with that, as proven kits have shown over your theory-exxagerated-beyond-all-recognition. Maybe you should head over to the Supra forums and see what they've done with the 2JZ-GE.

You are full of sh!t no matter how you embellish on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Off-TRAC said:
Ricer I300 said:

Oh, you're a genius... What insight you must possess to know that this motor isn't set-up for F/I out-of-the-box. Maybe the fact that there aren't two turbos hanging off of the exhaust manifold? :lol:

Of course the 2JZ-GE's 10.5:1 is a N/A compression ratio. But it has shown to take some boost effectively even with that, as proven kits have shown over your theory-exxagerated-beyond-all-recognition. Maybe you should head over to the Supra forums and see what they've done with the 2JZ-GE.

You are full of sh!t no matter how you embellish on it.
haaaaaaa!!! man you're dumb. You lost the debate, get over it! By the way, an inline 6 turbo supra starts with an 8.5:1 compression ratio.........guess those guys are purtee dum huuuuu? They should put some dome tops en dare and start makin sum power cuz everee wun nos 10.5:1 is better for a turbo or s/c......you're stupid, seriously.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
hhhaah Ricer IS...the way u are posting right now i know u are in a hurry to get 30posts in order to post in Sale/Trade forum, right? :wink:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ricer I300 said:
haaaaaaa!!! man you're dumb. You lost the debate, get over it! By the way, an inline 6 turbo supra starts with an 8.5:1 compression ratio.........guess those guys are purtee dum huuuuu? They should put some dome tops en dare and start makin sum power cuz everee wun nos 10.5:1 is better for a turbo or s/c......you're stupid, seriously.
Debate? LOL. It's not a debate if you're obviously dyslexic. I mean, you must have been hoping beyond desperation that I would say stoop your level of fine intellection distinction :lol: and blurt that higher compression is better for F/I, but that's not what I said, as much as you can hope and try to paint it that way.

Here's a rare repeat from me for your benefit: I said that 10.5:1 is tolerant of the ~290rwhp kits out there, which is about an increase of a bit over 100rwhp. It works and it works fine. It is workable for that power level.

In a nutshell, you basically said that there is no hope for F/I at the stock compression, which will only give you 40-50hp or be unreliable. You are full of sh!t.

Ricer I300 said:
If you're just flamethreading to raise your post count to gain access to our sale forum, mark my words: I will make it a point give you hell. Let's see how well your sales attempts go then. There is a right and a wrong way to go about this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

Offtrack, you really don't care for ricer is300 do you..

Lol,

Anyway,

thanks for the input,

vmj007

·
Registered
416 Posts
vmj007 said:
Thanks guys,

No, I guess not. :wink:

I highly recommend checking out the "Go Fast Stuff" forum if you're at all interested in modding your powerplant for higher output. There all your questions will be answered and more, and you won't encounter any of this unfortunate BS we had to wade through because it just isn't tolerated there. Over there the moderators take much more responsiblity for the truthfulness of the content that people try to disseminate, which is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Off-TRAC said:
vmj007 said:
Thanks guys,

No, I guess not. :wink:

I highly recommend checking out the "Go Fast Stuff" forum if you're at all interested in modding your powerplant for higher output. There all your questions will be answered and more, and you won't encounter any of this unfortunate BS we had to wade through because it just isn't tolerated there. Over there the moderators take much more responsiblity for the truthfulness of the content that people try to disseminate, which is a good thing. :)
No, not trying to get a post count up at all.......I just like f*cking with a CLOWN like OFF TRACK who doesn't know what he's talking about. I do.

You want to build 100 extra hp by way of f/i on a 10.5:1 compressed motor.......be my guest. It will work, but you're on borrowed time from day 1. I know, I know, the kits say otherwise; but, they're trying to sell you the freaking kit!! You can not boost a 10.5:1 moter more than 4 psi and run it on pump fuel. That's the plain, simple true story.

If anyone's telling you that you're going to see a roughly 50% hp increase with 3 or 4 psi..................you should laugh in that clown's face. I have lots of experience with s/c cars. The formula goes a little something like this: ((14.7 + boost / 14.7) * hp before)

Based on this, with 4 psi (which is pushing it!! on 91 octane fuel) you actual hp will be around 265, which is a gain of 55. To gain 100 hp, you need about 7.5 psi.......and an average octane rating of 96.233 unless you do some serious cooling of the intake charge (which again depends on what type of s/c you're running....positive displacement or centrifical).
This is the real deal. You think you can reliably get 100 extra out of this 3.0 liter just by bolting on a blower? Then you're a resident, along with OFF TRACK in fantasy land. Of course you can build great hp with this base plant, you'll just need to do additional things to it if you plan on driving it alot. There is truely tradeoff between fast and driveable/reliable. With 10.5, you're kinda stuck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ricer I300 said:
No, not trying to get a post count up at all.......I just like f*cking with a CLOWN like OFF TRACK who doesn't know what he's talking about. I do.

You want to build 100 extra hp by way of f/i on a 10.5:1 compressed motor.......be my guest. It will work, but you're on borrowed time from day 1. I know, I know, the kits say otherwise; but, they're trying to sell you the freaking kit!! You can not boost a 10.5:1 moter more than 4 psi and run it on pump fuel. That's the plain, simple true story.

If anyone's telling you that you're going to see a roughly 50% hp increase with 3 or 4 psi..................you should laugh in that clown's face. I have lots of experience with s/c cars. The formula goes a little something like this: ((14.7 + boost / 14.7) * hp before)

Based on this, with 4 psi (which is pushing it!! on 91 octane fuel) you actual hp will be around 265, which is a gain of 55. To gain 100 hp, you need about 7.5 psi.......and an average octane rating of 96.233 unless you do some serious cooling of the intake charge (which again depends on what type of s/c you're running....positive displacement or centrifical).
This is the real deal. You think you can reliably get 100 extra out of this 3.0 liter just by bolting on a blower? Then you're a resident, along with OFF TRACK in fantasy land. Of course you can build great hp with this base plant, you'll just need to do additional things to it if you plan on driving it alot. There is truely tradeoff between fast and driveable/reliable. With 10.5, you're kinda stuck.
You sir, are full of sh!t.

In lieu of wasting my own and everyone else's time with a thorough explanation and demonstration why you're absolutely no expert on F/I (they might have already gathered that since someone who supposedly works with s/c's should at least be able to enunciate and hence spell "centrifugal" correctly :lol:), here is the simplest proof:

TRD condones boosting on stock compression. All their S/C's run with stock compression. They warranty:

-> 7 psi on 9.6:1 for a 50% peak hp and torque increase (4.7-litre V8 )
-> 6 psi on 9.6:1 for a 40% peak hp and 23% peak torque increase (3.4 litre V6)
-> 4 psi on 10.5:1 for a 40% peak hp and torque increase (3.0-litre V6)

And those are "weak" Toyota engines relative to the 2JZ, which is the only engine family out of all these listed whose bottom-end is specifically designed for F/I.

Read it and weep, troll. Time to run off to a new nick. :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
its the airflow that will kill your motor, even running at 1 psi if you're putting enough air into it to raise you dynamic compression a good bit ricer is right, you're living on borrowed time. it would need to have alot of extra fuel in the chamber in order to absorb heat and the timing would have to be yanked back pretty far just to run it, and tuners are notorious for selling kits that push the motor to its limits, and if you drive it like that every day you're risking it, that may or may not be the case here though, only time will tell you that and evven then the results can be skewed.
does anyone have the VE of the motors at full boost? or the tuning specs? you could get a fairly good guess from those. and the 2JZ's strength has nothing to do with it, running out of tune will blow ANY motor no matter how well built, the stronger ones will just take longer to explode, and aren't the non turbo versions weaker anyway?

·
Registered
416 Posts
xtremepsi said:
its the airflow that will kill your motor, even running at 1 psi if you're putting enough air into it to raise you dynamic compression a good bit ricer is right, you're living on borrowed time. it would need to have alot of extra fuel in the chamber in order to absorb heat and the timing would have to be yanked back pretty far just to run it, and tuners are notorious for selling kits that push the motor to its limits, and if you drive it like that every day you're risking it, that may or may not be the case here though, only time will tell you that and evven then the results can be skewed.
does anyone have the VE of the motors at full boost? or the tuning specs? you could get a fairly good guess from those. and the 2JZ's strength has nothing to do with it, running out of tune will blow ANY motor no matter how well built, the stronger ones will just take longer to explode, and aren't the non turbo versions weaker anyway?
I think the assumption is that everything is tuned correctly, especially the fuel and ignition timing aspects. It doesn't much of a mistune to kill any motor, including N/A, So there's no point talking about that instance. All the tuners that are selling kits are using a replacement ECU, which presumably takes care of ignition timing. Whether the stock injectors and pump can handle the increased demand is another matter. There is no guarantee of reliability from the current tuners in question. But the fact remains that it's very doable and doable reliably for other Toyota motors at stock compression even without redoing the ECU, as TRD has proven. There is no reason to believe that it can't be done with the 2JZ, although I would imagine it difficult for TRD being that they use Roots-type S/C's, and there are clearance problems imposed by the power steering pump.

I don't have actual VE #'s, but we can play around with hypotheticals mixed with known values; excuse the formulas if you already know it:

Assuming a Toyota-ish 85% (0.85) VE for a 4-valve N/A engine and putting in the ~40% increase (1.4) in peak torque from the S/C, the peak S/C'ed VE would be ~119% (1.19). An increase of 40% peak torque tells you that the peak engine VE is being increased ~40% too.

[peak SC'ed VE] = [N/A VE] * [torque increase]

Being that modern premium gas' compression tolerance is ~13:1 to 14:1 and we want to limit it to 12.5:1 (a little safety factor there), there is no reason why 10.5:1 static compression is a problem.

[peak dynamic CR] = [static CR] * [peak SC'ed VE]

Besides the initial VE assumption, doesn't this sound pretty straightforward? No reason it can't be done, assuming our engine doesn't suffer from killer hot spots.

No, the 2JZ-GE is not appreciably weaker. The bottom end is identical except for oil squirters and oil passages for the turbo. The pistons are higher compression. The head has bigger intake valves.

·
Registered
416 Posts
dexyellowis300 said:
OFF-TRAC...........how about you stop taking up webspace and shut-up!!
Shut the f*ck up, scrub. Bend over, kiss your ass right now, and be thankful nobody cares enough to bother handing it to you on Dixie plate. :lol:

Yeah gavron1, this should be in "Go Fast Stuff". But then again, this thread shouldn't have even existed if we didn't have an absentee mod. :-?

·
Registered
139 Posts
can't argue with those numbers at all off-trac, a 1.19 VE with proper tuning could easily be pulled off on that motor, i guess i just had it in my head the increases were larger, but even those would be doable to a point.
roots blowers are a pain to fit, to tune for too, i remember hearing about alot of companies having too much trouble with low RPM detonation, i'm suprised TRD isn't just sticking a centrifugal on there, although those have their own problems to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just ordered a new IS300 SportDesign with Auto.

I know, I know, get the 5 speed. I'm lazy, got the Auto..I have something to use for backup, check sig..

Will the Auto Trans handle the Turbo or Supercharger? Is one better to use with the Auto then the other?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
DLL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing