Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is aftermarket turbo illegal in CA? i asked david and he said yes and that if a cop heard the BOV he can pull me over, and i believe him. but ive been asking other people and they said no. so im just wondering if anyone else has a say. im trying to read through some DMV stuff to find an answer right now

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If your car did not come with a factory turbo then yes. With other cars that came from the factory with turbo you might be able to get away with it cuz you can just tell the officer it's stock still and pray and hope that he believes you.

If you're afraid of getting caught and have to spend thousands to remove the turbo & accessories, get the inspection then if you decide to put it back on the go ahead. BUT THERE ARE NO CARB LEGAL TURBO KITS FOR THE IS300 IN CALIFORNIA!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm trying to find out if I can get a turbo in PA and still be able to have it pass emissions/inspection every year :-?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Peter at PFS said with his stage 1 or 2 tuned correctly you should pass emmissions with no problems ask malofiquist, I think his passed the VA sniffer with flying colors.

·
Registered
831 Posts
ya but I hope having it tuned correctly doesn't mean loss of hp which I think it does :(, but hey at least I can stay legal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well, you see, that's the beauty of engine management (standalone), you can save different programming for different occassions! One to pass emissions, one to get highest HP, one to run race gas, one to run NOS ... etc etc! Each one is a computer download away! ;)

flproject13 said:
ya but I hope having it tuned correctly doesn't mean loss of hp which I think it does :(, but hey at least I can stay legal.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
turbo97se said:
Well, you see, that's the beauty of engine management (standalone), you can save different programming for different occassions! One to pass emissions, one to get highest HP, one to run race gas, one to run NOS ... etc etc! Each one is a computer download away! ;)

flproject13 said:
Unless your engine management doesn't allow you to tune, like a piggy back *cough*SRT*cough* lol j/k

How's the install going turbo97se?

Kane

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
turbo97se said:

flproject13 said:
wait, so can we basically use the pfs's e-management to somehow trick the ca's emission test??

quoted from BAY AREA ENHANCED AREA PROGRAM

"BAR plans to phase-in the implementation dates, so stations will need to begin testing vehicles using a BAR-97 platform by July 1, 2003. Dynamometer-based testing will be phased in within 90 days of the date."

sucks :x

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
jeffree said:
is aftermarket turbo illegal in CA? i asked david and he said yes and that if a cop heard the BOV he can pull me over, and i believe him. but ive been asking other people and they said no. so im just wondering if anyone else has a say. im trying to read through some DMV stuff to find an answer right now
the thing is...a cop can pull you over for almost anything...it's called "reasonable doubt" or something like that. in other words, if they think they can write you up for something...then they can pull you over. so it's basically up to the cop.

as for the turbo being illegal...i would say yes, it's illegal unless it's carb cert...which i don't think any turbo system is yet...for the IS300 that is...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Benign: i think they are talking about passing in PA

so lets say a police officer hears a BOV and pulls you over. does he have, i dont know if this is the right word, authority, to get you to pop your hood open? maybe it would be possible to get by if you could convince the office you had one of those speaker BOV sound imitators :( . oh well it would be a hassle to pass emissions anyway with smog check II, forget the risk...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
jeffree said:

so lets say a police officer hears a BOV and pulls you over. does he have, i dont know if this is the right word, authority, to get you to pop your hood open? maybe it would be possible to get by if you could convince the office you had one of those speaker BOV sound imitators :( . oh well it would be a hassle to pass emissions anyway with smog check II, forget the risk...
you are forgetting about plp's powerdyne :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
jeffree said:

Yep smog check II with their enhance areas = 15% randon cars will be tested every year. I know that LA and the bay area are affected, thank god where I live it hasn't been classified as an enhanced smog area. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Benign said:
jeffree said:

you are forgetting about plp's powerdyne :)
Hopefully, PLP will get their Powerdyne-equipped S/C to become CARB-certified (although it takes a lot of time in order to do so).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts