Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question off the topic of is300, I am either thinking of getting a used IS300 or a used toyota 4runner either in a manual, they will each be nice in their own way just a question for someone with technical knowlege. how is it that wrx boxer and v6 engines with 2 manifolds are turbocharged with a single turbo.

2. how well does the Inline 6 in the lexus hold boost compared with the supra I6, I have read some nasty articles about major failures of these engines under boost makes me wonder if it really is that similar to the supra engine.

3. is there a possibility of upgrading the pistons and sleeves and valves and maybe head to make the engine reliable under boost... if I do get one I plan on keeping it for a very long time :)

4. what octane pump gas will I have to run with a stage 1 stage 2 turbo and how often will the turbo need to be replaced

Thanks any help you can give I would be happy

G

·
low430 said:
Just a question off the topic of is300, I am either thinking of getting a used IS300 or a used toyota 4runner either in a manual, they will each be nice in their own way just a question for someone with technical knowlege. how is it that wrx boxer and v6 engines with 2 manifolds are turbocharged with a single turbo.

2. how well does the Inline 6 in the lexus hold boost compared with the supra I6, I have read some nasty articles about major failures of these engines under boost makes me wonder if it really is that similar to the supra engine.

3. is there a possibility of upgrading the pistons and sleeves and valves and maybe head to make the engine reliable under boost... if I do get one I plan on keeping it for a very long time :)

4. what octane pump gas will I have to run with a stage 1 stage 2 turbo and how often will the turbo need to be replaced

Thanks any help you can give I would be happy
all v6s manifolds connect to a spot ( i think) that spot is where the turbo is. My friend got a STI motor in his shop, i'll be sure and look at it and tell you where the turbo is on that.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
2. it holds *as well* as the supra 2jz-GTE, however the stock GE internals wont hold as much power as the GTE. its a damn strong cast iron block.

3. yes you can upgrade the pistons (JE), crower rods, GTE bottom end.. etc. al ; reliability and turbo (high boost) really dont belong in the same sentence... most of the time ull have to keep a wary eye of whats going on, but you can slide with a little luck, common sense, and a little know-how of your vehicle.

4. keep using premium. when running high psi, use race gas for more powahhhhhh

these statements are mostly n00b but more or less factual check out a search..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goldark said:
It'll hold the power you are looking for just fine.
I doubt you would upgrade it past 400 hp since you are only 20.
You have that right for sure, It will need to be my daily driver so I was thinking around 300-350 just enough to burn my buddys M3 Plus I dont think I Would feel comfortable running too much boost without race gas which I cant afford everyday.
Thanks for your help :D
one other question I have been looking all over for IS manuals And they are hard to come by Seems almost every IS i find is automatic :cry: Was wondering if it would be more cost effective to get an 01 auto and later convert it to a manual, or possibly swap out the engine and tranny for a gte plus 6 speed. I figure it would be better to know this before buying as I prefer manuals by FAR and I wouldnt be happy driving an auto.

thanx :) :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Manuals hold less power than the autos (maybe that's debatable)
The 5 speeds are offered on from 2002-on.
The 5 speed should hold your 300-350 fine, you will have to upgrade your clutch.

If you get an auto - you'll have to deal with a valve upgrade so you can shift properly.

I would not suggest getting an auto and changing over to a 5 speed/6 speed. A getrag conversion will run you 5-7k.

Get a manual.
Throw a supercharger and full exhaust.
Romp on M3s all day long.

It's fine as a daily driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.