Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was originally a thread about ebay manifolds, but I changed the title as the discussing changed ;)

Original Topic
"Do you have the ebay manifold?? I keep hearing people recommend it and say its what SRT uses but I haven't heard any say they use it themselves. Now I'm saying it sucks or anything, I'm actually considering buying one and thats why I ask. There is also quite a few different companies selling "ebay" manifolds. Which ones are good? Or are they all the same and I should just go for the cheapest?

And yeah I know this has come up before and but no one really vouched for one in particular or said they had actually used it. Thanks guys! +rep when I can :)"

·
13,727 Posts
Ive looked into that, if you do a ebay turbo kit search you will find some answers. I do remember reading SRT ones are similar, but SRT welds them in places where the cheaper ones tend to fail. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
yo what up... yeah you get what you pay for. i know people that have bought ebay manifolds and they tend to crack easy (like the other guy said) esp. when it comes to turbo manifolds. its a lot of wait that they are supporting. but every now and then you get the person that says there ebay manifold is great. personally i conclude that ebay stuff is always somewhat of a gamble on whether or not it will last, where as SRT and other fabricators like them always seem to have a product of much higher quality.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
SRT uses ebay manifolds. They just re-weld areas and add support in areas. A lot of Supra people have bought ebay manifolds, smooth and re-weld them and they have held up.

I know Sound Performance (SP Racing) uses ebay manifolds for their budget kits and re-welds them in a similar fashion.

If you are thinking about buying an ebay manifold or kit, there is one guy that you should look into. I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head but he puts out a good manifold and kit for the NA-T Supra and SC300 guys. If you search on Club NA-T, I'm sure you will find his info. He does the same process and I've heard good things.

·
Registered
526 Posts
SRT uses ebay manifolds. They just re-weld areas and add support in areas.
hmmm didnt know they did that. i think that is pretty lame they dont fab up there own. probably wouldnt buy there manifold either then. i just havnt ever been impressed w/ ebay manifolds, so i dont think i would take up even if its been modified better. cant polish a turd

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
hmmm didnt know they did that. i think that is pretty lame they dont fab up there own. probably wouldnt buy there manifold either then. i just havnt ever been impressed w/ ebay manifolds, so i dont think i would take up even if its been modified better. cant polish a turd
I think it's the manifolds that they sell with their kits and individually. Their custom kits use custom-fabbed manifolds. I mean, come on, $350 for a tubular manifold?

Tubular Turbo Manifold US$350.00 <----taken from SRT's site

Turbo Vehicle Options - Swift Racing Technologies - SRT

Don't expect to pay less than $1200 for a quality, tubular manifold for this car.

However, I'm not knocking SRT. The manifold in their kit looks great and definitely holds up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it's the manifolds that they sell with their kits and individually. Their custom kits use custom-fabbed manifolds. I mean, come on, $350 for a tubular manifold?

Tubular Turbo Manifold US$350.00 <----taken from SRT's site

[ur]http://www.swiftracing.com/turbochargers/lexus/is300/options.htm[/url]

Don't expect to pay less than $1200 for a quality, tubular manifold for this car.
:approve: yep

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't polish a turd:suspiciou Come on man, obviously you can. SRT does it and many others. If you know the weak points and how to strengthen it I don't see a problem. Also its much more cost effective to buy something like these mass producted manifolds and then correct them as needed. I obviously would have my brother weld it up and make it all nice and possibly get it ceramic coated or something : RESULT ~ One finely polished "turd" as you'd call it and money left over for other things that i find to be more important.

HOWEVER: I'm not mad at you, I want all opinions good and bad ;) Thats why I made the post, but I would like to know what experience you've had with an ebay manifold? and the reasons why you disliked it in particular?

carry on`:)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:approve: yep
Soooo are you saying that you'd buy the $2,000 manifold?? I'd buy it and put it on the mantel above the fireplace cause it would look like a work of art and also cost the amount of one :p

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Nicadem, I don't quite understand the massive amount of post you have been throwing around lately in the Go Faster Section. I do understand that you are trying to learn the boost game but quite frankly the numerous posts you have been creating lately have been answered multiple time and it's getting annoying.

There were another thread that was related to manifold and ebay which I thought had all the informations you needed to make your decision whether the ebay is the right way to go or not.

Forcefed Motorsport, don't knock on something you have never touched. You stated you have heard of many stories of ebay manifold cracking. Which could quite possibly be true but how often do you hear of a 2jz ebay manifold cracking? Additionally, where are they cracking? Along the welds and flanges or cracking right in half? This is why Mo @ SRT reinforce the welds and brace it up.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nicadem, I don't quite understand the massive amount of post you have been throwing around lately in the Go Faster Section. I do understand that you are trying to learn the boost game but quite frankly the numerous posts you have been creating lately have been answered multiple time and it's getting annoying.

There were another thread that was related to manifold and ebay which I thought had all the informations you needed to make your decision whether the ebay is the right way to go or not.

Forcefed Motorsport, don't knock on something you have never touched. You stated you have heard of many stories of ebay manifold cracking. Which could quite possibly be true but how often do you hear of a 2jz ebay manifold cracking? Additionally, where are they cracking? Along the welds and flanges or cracking right in half? This is why Mo @ SRT reinforce the welds and brace it up.

:blush: Sorry

Kinda redundant. I was really just looking for someone to say they used it, but I got my answer. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That manifold sure looks awesome though. Look at the welds, nice :) Did nigelll attempt to use the FullRace Manifold?

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
As Nigel has confirmed the full race manifold will NOT fit in a IS300 engine bay.
Yes..also my post is off topic, sorry about that. I saw people talking about prices for good manifolds and posted.

(they can custom make you one that will fit the IS engine bay)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes..also my post is off topic, sorry about that. I saw people talking about prices for good manifolds and posted.

(they can custom make you one that will fit the IS engine bay)
Actually your post is on topic now, since I changed the title of this thread. I liked the direction it was heading more than the original one.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts