Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into going turbo cause the $$$ it costs for bolt on's and not getting a lot power isn't cutting it. My question is I found a REV hard Turbo kit at turbokits.com for $3999, and SRT (stage II) makes their kit but at $5295. Both have similar features. Which would you do?

·
Registered
138 Posts
i've heard that XS Engineering has a production turbo kit for the IS now. but it's not on their website. i think they had it on display at SEMA or something.

sorry.. that was a useless reply. ;)

personally, i've set my "budget" at $5000 for a turbo kit. i'm just waiting for someone to put out a reliable and affordable kit. i'm not planning to race or anything. i just want more power to pull away from those pesky SUV's on freeways.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Very few people have had the rev hard kit and the I believe 2 people recently where selling them in the for sale section.

SRT has become a more reliable kit then the past and price has come down a bit.

PFS is also an option at $5995 and you get a standalone.

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
You are doomed to failure if you just look for the cheapest kit. Having a fast car is not cheap.

You're going to be kicking yourself if you save that extra $1500 or so up front, but then your car never runs or you need a new motor. Its not worth the money you "save" up front.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
ali1983khan said:
IS3FINALLYmd said:
PFS is also an option at $5995 and you get a standalone.
PFS stage 1 puts comparable power to SRT 2
Umm... You need to get your facts straight, You need to realize that RWHP and flywheel HP are not the same.

PFS stage 1 does NOT produce the even close to the RWHP of a SRT Stage 2 AND it does NOT even produce as much RWHP as that of an SRT Stage 1.

Check out the RWHP dyno charts for PFS stages here:
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13357979&highlight=

Check out the RWHP dyno charts for SRT stages here:
http://www.swiftracing.com/turbochargers/lexus/is300/index.htm

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
$5k budget just isn't enough for a turbo kit guys. Sure the manufacturers like TBKO, SRT, PFS all have kits in the $5-6k range...but if you strictly adhere to a $5k budget you are just bullshitting yourselves. Realistically, you need to budget another $2-3k on top of that IMHO. You could still spend money on: 3" exhaust, cam gear, gauges, and MOST IMPORTANTLY INSTALL. If you can install the kit yourself more power to you. IMO, I'd rather have the satisfaction of having a standalone rather than a piggyback; that would far outweight any cost savings. Also, you should budget money JUST IN CASE the shit hits the fan...like rebuilding the motor! :pissed:

·
Registered
789 Posts
AZTEZZA and the others are correct to say 5k is no budget to go by when considering F/I. It will get you in the door but will cause you many more headaches down the road.
If you are going to do F/I spend some considerable time researching ALL the tuners and their options. Talk with some of the owners of the different kits to see what they would or wouldn't recommend. Spend some good time reading through this forum. There is a ton of excellent information about all these kits, people's experiences with each of them and the tuners that make them.
For me I will add that one of the most important things I can say about F/I kits is that a company's customer support and backing of their products is as important as the pieces in the kit.

AZTEZZA said:
$5k budget just isn't enough for a turbo kit guys. Sure the manufacturers like TBKO, SRT, PFS all have kits in the $5-6k range...but if you strictly adhere to a $5k budget you are just bullshitting yourselves. Realistically, you need to budget another $2-3k on top of that IMHO. You could still spend money on: 3" exhaust, cam gear, gauges, and MOST IMPORTANTLY INSTALL. If you can install the kit yourself more power to you. IMO, I'd rather have the satisfaction of having a standalone rather than a piggyback; that would far outweight any cost savings. Also, you should budget money JUST IN CASE the sh*t hits the fan...like rebuilding the motor! :pissed:

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Swift Racing Technologies said:
Umm... You need to get your facts straight, You need to realize that RWHP and flywheel HP are not the same.

PFS stage 1 does NOT produce the even close to the RWHP of a SRT Stage 2 AND it does NOT even produce as much RWHP as that of an SRT Stage 1.
so its what 25 rwhp less then YOUR stage 2, whoopty woo... IS3FINALLYmd said THEIRS comes with Standalone and other goodies that YOURS does not....

need to factor those things in as well....get YOUR facts right too before you come posting on here trying to defend how your stage 2 is a measely 25 rwhp at the wheels more then a PFS Stage 1....

Just wanted to post cuz its funny how you had to come to the defense here..the guy said the PFS stage 1 put out "COMPARABLE" power....not more..... :eek: :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
tsopranoMB said:

so its what 25 rwhp less then YOUR stage 2, whoopty woo... IS3FINALLYmd said THEIRS comes with Standalone and other goodies that YOURS does not....

need to factor those things in as well....get YOUR facts right too before you come posting on here trying to defend how your stage 2 is a measely 25 rwhp at the wheels more then a PFS Stage 1....

Just wanted to post cuz its funny how you had to come to the defense here..the guy said the PFS stage 1 put out "COMPARABLE" power....not more..... :eek: :wink:
Actually according to the dyno charts, our stage 2 is roughly 60RWHP more. Not only that our stage 1 made about 12RWHP more, so how can you compare it to the stage 2 when it does not even have as much RWHP as our stage 1. That was my 2 cents, BTW thanks for your 2 cents. :wink:

·
Registered
422 Posts
tsopranoMB said:

25 RWHP IS A MOUNTAIN TO ACHIEVE WITH BOLT ONS, SO I WOULD SAY ITS A LOT AND NOT MEASELY.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
add in customer service, standalone, and overall problems, PFS still comes out way on top. Although PFS's stage 1 and 2 kits are a bit pricey, i have yet to hear about any problems, wish i could say the same for SRT

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
tsopranoMB said:

Actually according to the dyno charts, our stage 2 is roughly 60RWHP more. Not only that our stage 1 made about 12RWHP more, so how can you compare it to the stage 2 when it does not even have as much RWHP as our stage 1. That was my 2 cents, BTW thanks for your 2 cents. :wink:
the FACTS are now that you offer other PIGGY BACK units such as pre-programmed, E-manage and MAP ECU, those are about $950 each....shizzit adds up really quick....

better off with complete standalone.... :wink:

and then comparable to a PFS STAGE 2 which outputs roughly the same power as your stage 2.5 like doublins has...at around $8000, minus exhaust, etc etc...its very comparable....hell, everyone thinks so....its just a measely comparison anyways...:crazy:

your just too funny having to jump and correct us.... :lol:

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
2pac said:
tsopranoMB said:

25 RWHP IS A MOUNTAIN TO ACHIEVE WITH BOLT ONS, SO I WOULD SAY ITS A LOT AND NOT MEASELY.
your comparing apples and oranges here with 2 companie's turbo kits which utilize completly different turbo's, and other parts incorporated...its not a FAIR comparison when considering price and all other aspects....keep that in mind...just pointing that out....

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
stage this , stage that :whine:

I am happy with my decision and don't plan on losing to any stage 1's or 2's very soon.

Do whats best for you, I have too many reasons for my decision and can't wait to spend some more money with peter.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like there's more that I should be looking at. My biggest thing was reliability. Anything turbo is high maintance, but most of you are right, it will be more than $5k with all the other details (down pipe, exhaust etc...) well back to the drawing board.... :cry:

·
Registered
742 Posts
mr2quick said:
Looks like there's more that I should be looking at. My biggest thing was reliability. Anything turbo is high maintance, but most of you are right, it will be more than $5k with all the other details (down pipe, exhaust etc...) well back to the drawing board.... :cry:
Put it like this whatever u spend on on a Turbo kit itself..have that amount of money to back it up or atleast a 3rd of it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.