Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those of you who live in areas where there are little to no tuners that are experienced with an IS300 or even Supras for that matter.

I was wondering what it cost you for the install and tune of a turbo kit and about how long it took. I know that it all depends on what parts you are installing. Personally, I will be installing the SRT stage 2.75 kit with several of the options such (tranny cooler, VB upgrade, blitz controller and timer, etc). I have been emailing a shop in Seattle, Kito Auto Sport. They have a lot of experience with Subarus. While its nothing close to a 2JZ, atleast they are experienced with boosted applications. They have quoted me an estimate of about $2500 just for the install. The total with all of the extra parts plus duno tuning was estimated at $3200+tax out the door.

While I was still living in Florida I was planning on just driving up to MD for the $2000 install and tune at SRT but I'm now on the west coast and that isnt an option. So for those of you that got installs at non-"IS300 shops", what did you pay and how long did it take?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This is for those of you who live in areas where there are little to no tuners that are experienced with an IS300 or even Supras for that matter.

I was wondering what it cost you for the install and tune of a turbo kit and about how long it took. I know that it all depends on what parts you are installing. Personally, I will be installing the SRT stage 2.75 kit with several of the options such (tranny cooler, VB upgrade, blitz controller and timer, etc). I have been emailing a shop in Seattle, Kito Auto Sport. They have a lot of experience with Subarus. While its nothing close to a 2JZ, atleast they are experienced with boosted applications. They have quoted me an estimate of about $2500 just for the install. The total with all of the extra parts plus duno tuning was estimated at $3200+tax out the door.

While I was still living in Florida I was planning on just driving up to MD for the $2000 install and tune at SRT but I'm now on the west coast and that isnt an option. So for those of you that got installs at non-"IS300 shops", what did you pay and how long did it take?
I'm not sure what shops there are in Seattle, but there are several that know the 2JZ. Get on Supraforums.com and search around. Here is the screen name of a guy on Supraforums that did a build on a MKIII Supra that is the nicest street build I've seen on a Supra in a long time. You might try contacting him and ask him if he can do it or if he can recommend a shop. His S/N is: JT2MA71. The quality of the build he did on his car is awe inspiring! http://www.cardomain.com/id/jt2ma71

Also, check out his thread on Supraforums Dry sump 2jz finally came alive!! - Supraforums.com

Reactions: mixtnutz532

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Just my 2 cents. The installation is the easy part. There's only so many ways you can install a manifold, clock a turbo, drill an oil return, or set up the vacuum lines. Most of the hardware installation is common sense. The tricky part is getting the tune nailed down.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I already knew that the install was the "easy" part from searching and just having been around the forums for a couple years. However, although it may be easy it seems like almost everyone has said that it is very time consuming. I dont have a lot of time to play with this in my garage. I just want to get it done quickly and professionally. I did all the basic bolt-ons and wired up the Apex'i AFC Neo to the car myself, but I have never taken my engine apart or undertaken an install this massive. I don't want to screw something up due to my lack of knowledge, experience, and unrefined technique and wind up having to back track multiple steps or making preventable repairs down the road.

I havent decided 100% on what to do. I am just researching all options to make the most educated decision. I have 5 months until I return home and thats plenty of time to think about it. I may do some or all of the install depending on difficulty, predicted time, and cost. For now, in this thread I just want to see what others have paid for install/tuning from shops that aren't the manufacturers of the turbo kits. It doesnt really matter if they are 2JZ shops or not.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Mo, since your in this thread now and it is your kit that I will be installing. I was wondering if you could email me a copy of the installation instructions so that I could see if I would be comfortable doing some or all of the install. I'll PM you about that.

I would also appreciate any recommendations you might have for tuners in the northwest. I have a lead on a good one who is well regarded on Supraforums, but he is 4.5 hours away in Portland. Thats a pretty easy roadtrip but not if I need repairs in the future. The more tuners I check out the more comfortable I'll be with installing the kit.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I already knew that the install was the "easy" part from searching and just having been around the forums for a couple years. However, although it may be easy it seems like almost everyone has said that it is very time consuming. I dont have a lot of time to play with this in my garage. I just want to get it done quickly and professionally. I did all the basic bolt-ons and wired up the Apex'i AFC Neo to the car myself, but I have never taken my engine apart or undertaken an install this massive. I don't want to screw something up due to my lack of knowledge, experience, and unrefined technique and wind up having to back track multiple steps or making preventable repairs down the road.

I havent decided 100% on what to do. I am just researching all options to make the most educated decision. I have 5 months until I return home and thats plenty of time to think about it. I may do some or all of the install depending on difficulty, predicted time, and cost. For now, in this thread I just want to see what others have paid for install/tuning from shops that aren't the manufacturers of the turbo kits. It doesnt really matter if they are 2JZ shops or not.
It's very time consuming because you're converting a NA setup to run a turbo. Removing all the stock parts that you don't need is a few hours of work. You'll need to lower the compression which involves removing the head. That's about a day of work there already. Removing the oil pan to drill the return, a few hours there. Cutting off the injector pigtails, wiring up the new ones, soldering, and heat shrinking another few hours. If you want it done quickly and professionally, you're better off finding someone who knows the 2J. After that you're hoping they know how to tune the F10X. This is probably the most expensive route but consider sending the car to SRT for them to do the install and tuning. It'll save you a lot of headaches later on and you'll know everything is done right.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
It's very time consuming because you're converting a NA setup to run a turbo. Removing all the stock parts that you don't need is a few hours of work. You'll need to lower the compression which involves removing the head. That's about a day of work there already. Removing the oil pan to drill the return, a few hours there. Cutting off the injector pigtails, wiring up the new ones, soldering, and heat shrinking another few hours. If you want it done quickly and professionally, you're better off finding someone who knows the 2J. After that you're hoping they know how to tune the F10X. This is probably the most expensive route but consider sending the car to SRT for them to do the install and tuning. It'll save you a lot of headaches later on and you'll know everything is done right.
Damn man, what are you - phychic? You keep posting exactly what I keep wanting to post but always beat me to the punch. lol

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright, well thanks for that advice. I know that sending my car to SRT is an option. In fact, 6 months ago when I still lived on the east coast that was the only option I would have accepted. I was going to take time off work and drive it up myself. However, I no longer live there. I live pretty much as far away from SRT's shop as I can get. Shipping my car to them is unfavorable for several reasons. The biggest reason is keeping the final cost under $10,000. This is why I am exploring ALL of my options. Your advice of shipping it to SRT is noted and if money was no issue to me than I would ship it and fly out to meet Mo and everyone else at SRT in a heartbeat. I would love to meet the people who in my opinion make some of the best performance products for the IS and watch them work there magic on my car. However, money doesn't grow on trees for me and as much as I would like to do that I have to cover all my bases. I have to make the best decision with how to spend my hard earned money and to do that I need to be fully informed about all of my options. You cant always get everything you want, sometimes you have to compromise.

EDIT: I am looking into the price and time it takes to ship my car to SRT and if the total cost is somewhat close to what it would cost me out here, you can bet your ass that my car will be on the first truck to MD. Like I said, I'm open to ALL of my options. I just need information about every one of them.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, you're stick between a rock and hard place. Not everyone is rich enough to pay the extra premium for a professional turbo install, I know I wasn't, but sometimes the piece of mind of knowing it's done right is worth it. The other option is take a week off and knock off the install yourself. You will learn a lot and would probably do a better job than a lot of other little shops could or would do.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, exactly. Its a tough decision which is why I'm asking around about other people who have had to make it before. I've recently found a great 2JZ shop with a tuner that is highly regarded on supraforums.com. He pretty much sounds like the master of the 2JZ in the northwest. I'm e-mailing him now. Its just a matter of finding the right combination of price and tuner reputation now. I would love to do the install myself and just trailer it down to the tuner so that he could dial it in for me. Its just more than a little intimidating. I've done all the bolt-on upgrades to my car and wired up a fuel controller so I have some very basic experience. I've never torn down an engine before for something even as "simple" as the head gasket. Do you honestly think that a guy like me could take on this build and do it right in a week? I have a full shop and all the tools at my disposal. It's just the knowledge I lack. I'm still awaiting a reply from Mo about the install instructions so that I can judge the details of the install myself.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yes, exactly. Its a tough decision which is why I'm asking around about other people who have had to make it before. I've recently found a great 2JZ shop with a tuner that is highly regarded on supraforums.com. He pretty much sounds like the master of the 2JZ in the northwest. I'm e-mailing him now. Its just a matter of finding the right combination of price and tuner reputation now. I would love to do the install myself and just trailer it down to the tuner so that he could dial it in for me. Its just more than a little intimidating. I've done all the bolt-on upgrades to my car and wired up a fuel controller so I have some very basic experience. I've never torn down an engine before for something even as "simple" as the head gasket. Do you honestly think that a guy like me could take on this build and do it right in a week? I have a full shop and all the tools at my disposal. It's just the knowledge I lack. I'm still awaiting a reply from Mo about the install instructions so that I can judge the details of the install myself.
You kind of ignored what I suggested about the guy in your area, but that's OK. You can do whatever you want. There are several people in your area that have extensive experience with the 2JZ and some on the IS.

Mo, I'm not trying to take food out or your mouth, just giving the guy options. Besides, the build that the guy did on that MKIII Supra was stupid! I might even let him work on my car ;)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I didnt. I registered on supraforums through the link you provided and searched through the West section. Thats where I found the current tuner that I'm talking to. I didnt see any mention of a shop on that cardomain. If you know of any names I'm all ears. Like I said, the more the better. Thanks for the info. Have some rep.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE:

Got another estimate today. This one is from Tim Robards at RREV motorsports in Portland, OR. RREV is a Supra tuner with a pretty good reputation in the northwest. Here is the estimate he sent me:

Turbo kit and IC - $1800
Head gasket and head studs - $900
Fuel system (if just fuel pump and injectors) - $250
EMS - labor ?? I would need to see what all has to be hooked up, tuning is $900
tranny cooler - $200-400 depending on where we put it, what parts look like
valve body - $250
Boost controller - $300
Turbo timer - $50

With tax thats over $5000 which compared to other installs I've seen is pretty rediculous. I would think that a supra shop would have quoted a price that would be cheaper than a WRX shop (estimate above=$3200). The WRX shop has no familiarity with the 2JZ so it would be a lot more difficult to do the install and tune. Whereas the Supra shop has intimate knowledge of the 2JZ and a lot of experience tuning them. It would obviously require less labor for the supra shop to do the install sine they already know what they are doing. The WRX shop would be far behind the learning curve. I would much rather have the work done at the supra shop for obvious reasons but that estimate is WAY above my limit. I replied to find out how he calculated that estimate and to see if I can negotiate a lower price.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
UPDATE:

Got another estimate today. This one is from Tim Robards at RREV motorsports in Portland, OR. RREV is a Supra tuner with a pretty good reputation in the northwest. Here is the estimate he sent me:

Turbo kit and IC - $1800
Head gasket and head studs - $900
Fuel system (if just fuel pump and injectors) - $250
EMS - labor ?? I would need to see what all has to be hooked up, tuning is $900
tranny cooler - $200-400 depending on where we put it, what parts look like
valve body - $250
Boost controller - $300
Turbo timer - $50

With tax thats over $5000 which compared to other installs I've seen is pretty rediculous. I would think that a supra shop would have quoted a price that would be cheaper than a WRX shop (estimate above=$3200). The WRX shop has no familiarity with the 2JZ so it would be a lot more difficult to do the install and tune. Whereas the Supra shop has intimate knowledge of the 2JZ and a lot of experience tuning them. It would obviously require less labor for the supra shop to do the install sine they already know what they are doing. The WRX shop would be far behind the learning curve. I would much rather have the work done at the supra shop for obvious reasons but that estimate is WAY above my limit. I replied to find out how he calculated that estimate and to see if I can negotiate a lower price.
RREV is one of the prime vendors on Supraforums. They have a very good Rep, but that price is rediculous! I am leaning towards what Lambchop said about doing it yourself, or atleast some of it yourself. If you have a shop and tools, none of the actual install is difficult. There are some specialty tools that make it easier (like a chain wrench to get the crank pully off!) but everything else is simple (and I'm not over simplifying it). I don't know what your timeline is for having the car down, but nothing beats taking your time and doing it right yourself. Just about all the little questions you might have can and I'm sure will be answered by members on this forum.

·
Registered
687 Posts
if your on the west coast then there is a place in san diego that will do the install for 1k in about a week and the tuning is $400. they do really clean work. if your interested let me know.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How can they do it for that cheap? Are they trustworthy? Do they actually know what theyre doing? Are they even legit? Heck yeah let me know. But that sounds way to good to be true unless its a really really crappy shop or just some guys garage.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts