Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you get harassed by cops and shit for having a FMIC? I mean if you're just driving around with no window tint or any flashy shit like that and not driving like a retard... do most cops even bother to stop you? Just wondering because I'm going to boost my IS eventually and I'm trying to do as much research as possible now.

Also has anyone in the bay area tried to get a gte thats newer than their model year put in, and see if the ref will actually pass it if its all stock and has the emissions shit all hooked up correctly? I've read places that the bay area ref dude is actually pretty cool...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
well there are cops that just give exhaust tickets... and at the same time might pop your hood. but gL! *knock on wood for me*

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's my understanding of cali engine laws.

You can only put a newer motor on a same year or older car.

Since 98 was the last year the 2jzgte motor was allowed in U.S./Cali, you can put that motor in a 98 or older car.

Those with a 1998 GS300 should be able to drop a 2jzgte motor, go to smog ref, and pass.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my understanding of cali engine laws.

You can only put a newer motor on a same year or older car.

Since 98 was the last year the 2jzgte motor was allowed in U.S./Cali, you can put that motor in a 98 or older car.

Those with a 1998 GS300 should be able to drop a 2jzgte motor, go to smog ref, and pass.
I knew that, but I mean what about a JDM newer gte from an aristo...

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
no dice. cali is not boost friendly. a member in OC got busted last week.
huge fine for violating CARB laws/ modifying emissions equipment. but he got popped for tint, which led to the under the hood inspection.
and there are no California cars that are newer than the IS that have the GTE. i dont think a JDM aristo motor will count. i think it has to be a USDM motor that passed CA emissions. the JDM motors will never pass CA emissions.

good luck if you decide to do it. i'll surely be jealous. i've always wanted boost. but the risk outweighed the reward for me. i live and work in draconian irvine, ca.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live in San Diego, California, and here is what I LITTERALLY asked a policeman, since he was around my workplace. I asked a bunch of questions, like 15 total, but 2 of them relate to what you might be looking for....

1) Is it illegal to install or have any kind of turbo kit in your car? No, you must have the turbo kit certified by the DMV first, then it will be legal.

2) Is it illegal to modify your exhaust to make it louder? No, there is a certain sound limit though. It states on code 3908D (Or whatever he said), that modifying the car's tail pipe is only illegal...blah blah blah.

Hoped this clarified a little bit, I mean try getting your kits certified by the DMV first. The reason why is obviously because of the State's sensitivity to the car emissions, California wants clean air but is not going to get it, unfortunately =(.

Reactions: LexDymndz

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
1) Is it illegal to install or have any kind of turbo kit in your car? No, you must have the turbo kit certified by the DMV first, then it will be legal.
i only have one addition/ correction to your statement.

it must be certified by the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.), like in CARB EO number or CARB certified Edelbrock turbo kit for EG civic.

but +rep nonetheless

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hmmm, ok thank you, I am just giving you information what a cop told me, hah.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
thanks for the info howardtan, but as its stated before, we correct erroneous posts. The DMV has nothing to do with legalizing a turbo kit. As Lex stated, California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) is the one that needs to legalize the kit. All DMV cares about is if the car is smogged. To pass smog with a turbo kit, it must be legalized by, California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.). If not, you're SOL.
Also about putting in newer engines into older cars. This is straight from the State Ref's mouth as he was reviewing a honda with an engine swap. You can swap a newer engine in an older body style AS LONG AS THE EMISSION COMPONENTS are also swapped and are working. Of course the idea is to get this done, get the SMOG Exempt sticker, and than rip the EMISSION HP ROBBING components out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info howardtan, but as its stated before, we correct erroneous posts. The DMV has nothing to do with legalizing a turbo kit. As Lex stated, California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) is the one that needs to legalize the kit. All DMV cares about is if the car is smogged. To pass smog with a turbo kit, it must be legalized by, California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.). If not, you're SOL.
Also about putting in newer engines into older cars. This is straight from the State Ref's mouth as he was reviewing a honda with an engine swap. You can swap a newer engine in an older body style AS LONG AS THE EMISSION COMPONENTS are also swapped and are working. Of course the idea is to get this done, get the SMOG Exempt sticker, and than rip the EMISSION HP ROBBING components out.
Yeah I don't really need all the info on turbo kits... I'm never going to turbo the stock block. I've heard of a lot of people getting caught and then getting in trouble, like the guy you were talking about, I saw his part out post. But they didn't go to the ref first, hence they are in trouble. I'm saying what if I took it to the ref in the first place to make it legal. The only snag might be that the newer JDM engine was never certified california emissions. But this might not be an issue if I can use all my stock emissions stuff and pass a sniffer test. I've researched this alot before asking the question, so thanks for all your posts but I've read the actual laws, so I already pretty much know what you're saying. The actual laws are pretty wishy washy, and are "guidelines" for the refs, so it depends i guess on the ref. I was looking for someone who has actually done/tried this to see what the ref's reaction was.

I read a lot on honda forums about dudes getting their cars to run off propane, and getting an exemption for life, then ripping it back off and driving like that forever. Thought that was a pretty sweet idea, but I doubt it would be easy to do with the gte...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
just pay the fine when u get a ref ticket
trust me ive gotten one 2 many

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
just pay the fine when u get a ref ticket
trust me ive gotten one 2 many
Guillermo,
what fine? the State Ref said you had to put the car back to stock.
is that what you mean? you put the car back to stock, get it smogged and put it back in?
-Sam

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Guillermo,
what fine? the State Ref said you had to put the car back to stock.
is that what you mean? you put the car back to stock, get it smogged and put it back in?
-Sam
each time ive gotten ref ticket(when i had the supercharger)
1)got ref ticket
2)still drove the car around
3)received ticket in mail its says pay fine or fix car (i choose 2 pay fine)
send money in the mail
4) u are done

remeber i gotten 2 ref ticket with the sc kit on the is300
gotten 4 in my turbo civic and many others in other cars
and my boy just got one on his turbo s2k he got ticket in the mail and paid the fine and everything is good now
california just wants your money thats all

you have to pay to play

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Im sure its around a grand that you have to pay. Thats when you have to justify if boost is worth it for yourself. Those of us who have it are taking a risk.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1st is around 450
second around 850
third 1200
im going off my ref. tickets i have gotten

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
each time ive gotten ref ticket(when i had the supercharger)
1)got ref ticket
2)still drove the car around
Now this to me is the scary part, cuz the officer said if i was stopped again before taking care of the ticket, they'd impound the car. That would be the worst scenario.
3)received ticket in mail its says pay fine or fix car (i choose 2 pay fine)
send money in the mail
4) u are done
remeber i gotten 2 ref ticket with the sc kit on the is300
gotten 4 in my turbo civic and many others in other cars
and my boy just got one on his turbo s2k he got ticket in the mail and paid the fine and everything is good now
california just wants your money thats all
you have to pay to play
really? cuz on the ticket it says, "this car must be taken off the street until seen by a State Referee", thats what my ticket said. But heck if thats the case, someone tell Benny.. shiet 450.00 is nothing compared to pulling it out..

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Now this to me is the scary part, cuz the officer said if i was stopped again before taking care of the ticket, they'd impound the car. That would be the worst scenario.

really? cuz on the ticket it says, "this car must be taken off the street until seen by a State Referee", thats what my ticket said. But heck if thats the case, someone tell Benny.. shiet 450.00 is nothing compared to pulling it out..
ive done it and all my friends have done it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure what all this "just pay the fine" stuff has to do with whether or not a swap will pas a ref inspection (before just driving around and getting caught).

But I guess since this thread is officially jacked, If it were me, and I had the option of paying the fine or swapping stuff back to stock, I'd probably just swap it back to stock. If you know what you're doing, its not that hard if you keep all the stock stuff. I mean if all the original plumbing is hooked back up, just plug in the stock ecu, and you're there. I guess it's not an option for people who get their stuff installed by someone else, but if you're good at working on shit, it'll take you maybe a day's work to do and save you 500~1,000$. Unless you're getting paid that much in a day, its totally worth it. Plus you can use that time to clean up all your shit and make sure it works. Guess you just need to keep a healthy supply of spare gaskets.... Hahaha.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
i guess my time is worth alot more than 1500 dollars just to swap shit
most cars after they are boosted anyways wont pass smog even after u take off the kit................
also when u do go 2 ref.
he will check everything
if u have enought coolent(if u dont have stock radiator cap u will fail)
if u dnt have stock oil cap u will fail.......
they check the most retarded shit that u would never think of

1 - 20 of 37 Posts