Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Considering getting an IS350 - saw one today. Really nice all together, really nice especially in gray(beautiful greenish flake going on)
Im not going to ask if there is a turbo, that would just be stupid but...
This engine would seem to have more potential (altough the 2JZ's years of being out and popularity gave it room to grow beyond most if not all other engines in tunability category), but is there really a market with this new car for a turbo or even a supercharger? Are we stepping that far away from the old IS' demographic that there will not be any turbo kits?
Just trying to get some thoughts on the subject, but the future is looking grim(although I could live with the car the way it is, yes - it is THAT nice)
Thanks

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
js3324 said:
Hello

Considering getting an IS350 - saw one today. Really nice all together, really nice especially in gray(beautiful greenish flake going on)
This engine would seem to have more potential (altough the 2JZ's years of being out and popularity gave it room to grow beyond most if not all other engines in tunability category), but is there really a market with this new car for a turbo or even a supercharger? Are we stepping that far away from the old IS' demographic that there will not be any turbo kits?
Just trying to get some thoughts on the subject, but the future is looking grim(although I could live with the car the way it is, yes - it is THAT nice)
Thanks
If you search this topic you'll find that the general consensus and my belief is that this motor isn't worth boosting.
Dunno why you think it is. Everything about it points to NO.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
^^^ I doubt it. They wull try and fail miserably.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
js3324 said:
Hello

Thanks
It has about as much potential as a weed whacker motor.

Have fun boosting that 11.8:1 Compression Ratio in an All Aluminum motor.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I don't think its wise 2 boost this motor because of the high compression n also its a aluminium block. It is also complicated with the fuel system since its now a direct injection n dual vvti. There is a bunch of crap in the engine bay along with alot of plastic covering in the engind bay.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
bah just takes a headgasket, someone w/ some deep pockets and some dedication. oh and a good tuner w/ some electric enginuity.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IS_Dude said:
bah just takes a headgasket, someone w/ some deep pockets and some dedication. oh and a good tuner w/ some electric enginuity.
thats all it takes...

only a matter of time till someone takes the time, effort, and $$$ to do it....perhaps Turboeast, SRT, or Toyomoto might get such a customer to try it....

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
GangusKhanh² said:
$100 says the first consumer to try to boost a MKII IS has had a Boosted MKI IS.
someone in tailand or japan or something is probably half done w/ it.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
IS_Dude said:
someone in tailand or japan or something is probably half done w/ it.
With a knockoff engine made in China.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
hmm Is IS300GTE getting a new IS? if so i'd almost be willing to bet he'll be among the first.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
hmm Is IS300GTE getting a new IS? if so i'd almost be willing to bet he'll be among the first.
i'd say 100% no since it's not coming in a stick and because he has the 3 turbo cars that he wants now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
ah well if he's not then guess not. Although I think a low boost turbo setup running and 7th injector and an emanage will probably be the first thing out there 6 or 7 psi or so but ya never know. Becuase even this motor SHOULD be able to get away with that low boost with say a 3 mm headgasket.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
ah well if he's not then guess not. Although I think a low boost turbo setup running and 7th injector and an emanage will probably be the first thing out there 6 or 7 psi or so but ya never know. Becuase even this motor SHOULD be able to get away with that low boost with say a 3 mm headgasket.

you mean 2 Headgaskets, its a V-6 :p

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I think at first there of course be some crazy dude with heeps of $$$$ and will have some kind of shitty running custom kit that will blow after 5-10K miles. Then after a few years, maybe longer, there will be a kit of two, with the price tag of BMW kits.

Simular to our car's history, but our car is much more tunable and the type of owners more prone to that market. All and all the new IS will not come close to getting the attention the old IS is getting now, and will get later.

B.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts