Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I live in california...and am wanting to turbo my 02 is300...Does anybody have a turbo car in cali ? And if so, is it possible to pass smog with a referee. Im talkin get the car legal. I know of places that will elegalaly pass the car but if I was ever pulled over and sent to a referee...I can say bye to my wallet.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Hey guys, I live in california...and am wanting to turbo my 02 is300...Does anybody have a turbo car in cali ? And if so, is it possible to pass smog with a referee. Im talkin get the car legal. I know of places that will elegalaly pass the car but if I was ever pulled over and sent to a referee...I can say bye to my wallet.
keep your shit stealth, dont show off your turbo or FMIC

·
Registered
636 Posts
dont worry about the showing-off part, not too many people get in trouble for that. the majority of cops on the street havent a clue about modifcations like a turbo (recognizing your front mount IC), and if they do... then they would probably have respect for a boosted IS. just make sure your exhause doesnt sound like an airplane and you dont WOT through an intersection where a cop could see you. the main issues you will have with a turbo will be when your trying to get smogged your... i know for sure there is a shop right next to LMW in Monrovia, SoCal that will pass your car for $100 or somethin like that. but im also sure that for 1 bill alot of places would do it...

there are a bunch of boosted IS's in cali fyi...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dont worry about the showing-off part, not too many people get in trouble for that. the majority of cops on the street havent a clue about modifcations like a turbo (recognizing your front mount IC), and if they do... then they would probably have respect for a boosted IS. just make sure your exhause doesnt sound like an airplane and you dont WOT through an intersection where a cop could see you. the main issues you will have with a turbo will be when your trying to get smogged your... i know for sure there is a shop right next to LMW in Monrovia, SoCal that will pass your car for $100 or somethin like that. but im also sure that for 1 bill alot of places would do it...

Ya true. but I was just wondering if there was any way to make it legal. I have a few friends that did some honda swaps from D to B series...and certified the car. obviously not the same as forced induction, but same idea.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Ya true. but I was just wondering if there was any way to make it legal. I have a few friends that did some honda swaps from D to B series...and certified the car. obviously not the same as forced induction, but same idea.
actually, its not the same idea, whats legal is if you swap motors, its legal as long as the motor is newer than the original motor, cant install older than car year.

just boost and dont worry. your missing out on a lot of fun, and you will reFALL IN LOVE with your car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually, its not the same idea, whats legal is if you swap motors, its legal as long as the motor is newer than the original motor, cant install older than car year.

just boost and dont worry. your missing out on a lot of fun, and you will reFALL IN LOVE with your car.
Ya your right...regardless im most likely going to boost. weather I have to hide it or not :p I was just wondering if legalizing it was possible...guess not
:(

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
you're kidding right? I've yet to find a shop that would risk $100.00 vs their license. but heck, show me the place and I'm there...:)

one of the reasons why there are a bunch of boosted IS's in cali is for newer cars, you don't need a smog check for something like 4 years?... unlike older cars where its required every 2 years..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're kidding right? I've yet to find a shop that would risk $100.00 vs their license. but heck, show me the place and I'm there...:)

one of the reasons why there are a bunch of boosted IS's in cali is for newer cars, you don't need a smog check for something like 4 years?... unlike older cars where its required every 2 years..
I know a place that does it for $200...but I dont think people are worried about getting it smogged. Im certainly not. What im worried about, is getting caught, at that point they take you to a referee :p and you cant bribe that guy ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Lol I'm 4 months in with my 2003 IS300 so I wanted to ask, can the 2jz-ge VVTI take a turbo? With out any swapping of internals? Also, how are the turbo kits like CX racing for it? Do you guys know if those are worth the 4000 dollars? My goals is like 450-550 HP. Don't want to do the GTE swap because of the fact that you need a transmission too. I'm a noob sorry

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Lol I'm 4 months in with my 2003 IS300 so I wanted to ask, can the 2jz-ge VVTI take a turbo? With out any swapping of internals? Also, how are the turbo kits like CX racing for it? Do you guys know if those are worth the 4000 dollars? My goals is like 450-550 HP. Don't want to do the GTE swap because of the fact that you need a transmission too. I'm a noob sorry
There is PLENTY of information on this topic. Try using the search function first then ask a few more specific questions afterwards.

I have a CXracing turbo kit with the intercooler. It is worth what you pay for it imo. The turbo isn’t great I will say that. But for my goals it will due. It’s a cheap eBay turbo. You can option it out of the kit and save $220 but why? Just pay the $220 and use the turbo until it breaks.

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
3,103 Posts
You will not make that power level on stock internals and live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is PLENTY of information on this topic. Try using the search function first then ask a few more specific questions afterwards.

I have a CXracing turbo kit with the intercooler. It is worth what you pay for it imo. The turbo isn’t great I will say that. But for my goals it will due. It’s a cheap eBay turbo. You can option it out of the kit and save $220 but why? Just pay the $220 and use the turbo until it breaks.
would buying the ball-bearing turbo option for the cxracing kit be worth it? i am currently stuck between 1jz vs 2jz-get and i also live california. how much power and boost are you making? do you think 5k is enough to convert to turbo reliably . im sure theres lot of threads covering this but i noticed this reply is from today and not 2009 like all the others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would buying the ball-bearing turbo option for the cxracing kit be worth it? i am currently stuck between 1jz vs 2jz-get and i also live california. how much power and boost are you making? do you think 5k is enough to convert to turbo reliably . im sure theres lot of threads covering this but i noticed this reply is from today and not 2009 like all the others.
and sorry for all the questions in advance

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Their turbos are eBay China crap. Will they work, sure. For how long? No one knows truthfully. For the $220 you save by NOT buying the turbo, I figured why not. You could NOT buy their turbo and wastegate and purchase your own turbo and wastegate. I am still piecing together the fuel system right now. I plan to make around 400-420 whp. I would imagine with the turbo that comes with the CX kit AND my elevation probably around 10-12psi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts