Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went to one of the more popular shops around my area. for those of you in chicago area, im sure you heard of sound performance (specializing in the supra, owning a 8 second daily driver supra) anyway...

i asked them about installation on a turbo. one of the guys said at least 10-12 hours. the other guy said "yeah right man!, it will be at least 40-50 hours, we need to rewire the whole car with a new computer" now there rate is $80 an hour... so were looking at at leaset $3500. im almost positive there is no way im going there, im most likely goign to SPL Auto Tuning (very nice guys). but i was curious... do they really have to rewire the whole car?

i also asked how much for them to build me a kit with around 330 to the wheels. the guy said "for it to be done RIGHT (lot of stress on that), around 10-11 grand."
...i think im gonna stick with turbo east...

·
Registered
698 Posts
the most wiring i can think of is if you go standalone. if you are going with a TE kit then thats probably just emanage + black box and thats at maybe a good 3-5 hours of wiring.

an expensive quote you got from them. good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there always expensive... i doubt im going to them.

(Install quote on cam gear was $500, went to spl and got it on for 125)

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
as i told ya man, about 750 - 850 total, 1200 tops with the other stuff you wanted to do. And i have all the tools here at my house :)

Reactions: froggums

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
if you're looking for a shop to install a kit. expect to pay well over 1k. My guess would be 2k or so. Depending on electronics.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im aware of the prices... but i still think $3500 is extreme. i also forgot to mention Seven doing it. I am just worried that if i have a friend do it, and they get stuck on a part i dont know what ill have to do... id end up spending more money taking it to the shop to get something fixed that's been messed up, or not put on right. and the tuning might be cheaper if i get it installed and tuned at a shop... im not sure, right now im leaning towards having seven put it on, and having it tuned at sound performance. maybe AMS, ive heard good things about themm too.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I was quoted 52 hours at a rate of $85 an hour to install my BL kit during the spring. With taxes it brought the cost close to $5k. Spoke to De about it, he helped with the headgasket install, now I'm very confident I can do the rest with the help of a friend. You're going to have to dish out cash either way for the install to pay a shop or to do it yourself. Just have a repair manual and a friend who's pretty handy with tools and the install shouldn't be too bad. The good thing about doing it yourself is if something goes wrong, you know where all the wiring is, you know where all the sensors are located which will make debugging much easier. If a shop does it, you won't know where they hid everything and you need to pay them again to have the problem looked at.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
i know someone who has paid more than 5k for install.

The truth is that it really does take a huge amount of time to do everything.
turbo, exhaust, wiring, boost controller, gauges, tuning.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
theformat26 said:
im aware of the prices... but i still think $3500 is extreme. i also forgot to mention Seven doing it. I am just worried that if i have a friend do it, and they get stuck on a part i dont know what ill have to do... id end up spending more money taking it to the shop to get something fixed that's been messed up, or not put on right. and the tuning might be cheaper if i get it installed and tuned at a shop... im not sure, right now im leaning towards having seven put it on, and having it tuned at sound performance. maybe AMS, ive heard good things about themm too.
just my .02 cents, what if something happens when you and your friend do the work? something that can cause serious damage to the car, are you going to go after your friend? or are you gonna eat the 2500.00 for a new block if need be? Not saying a shop will not screw up either, but at least you have an entity you can go after and get some compensation. If a friend does the work and things go wrong, you'll lose a friend and $$$$. I know a lot of shops will charge extra to go over someone else's work because now they have to check everything twice to see what was installed correctly OR the shop will charge you on top of installation, the labor of uninstalling everything to start fresh. Then some shops won't touch the car for fear of being blamed for something they didn't do completely.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was going to let seven do it. he is in school for automotive, and he seems to know what he is talking about. he put in my SAFC (not a big deal but did it no problem, along with my CDD Delete). i trust him with my car but i do know people make mistakes and thats what im worried abuot.. i couldnt ask for money to fix his screw up when he is just trying to help me out in the first place. This is why i am iffy. if i let a shop do it, and they screw up. its there job to fix things, if a friend does it, and they screw up, its my job to go get it fixed and may cost me extra.

also i know seven can use the money as he is saving up for a turbo kit, along with large car payments due everymonth. which is another reason i want to let him do it. he came to my house at 2:30 am to fix up a not-correctly installed SAFC for no charge! (thanks again by the way seven)

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
..sounds like you trust Seven to do the work, but are worried about if anything goes wrong where do you and him stand.
Well, sit down with Seven and get it on paper. Both of you decide who is responsible and how much is he willing to help out if things go bad. I don't know Seven, but in his defense, he puts the kit in, all of a sudden you're pushing XXX of hp and your tranny starts to leak. Is he liable? I don't think so, but what if a couple of months down the road you start to get serious oil blowby and you find out its cracked ringlandings? what happens?.. who's fault? .. breakdown what you and Seven feel would be reasonable to cover and split if anything goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Just do your install at SPL Autotuning. Sound Performance is way more expensive on pricing and SPL does an amazing job for cheaper. They are doing my kit by the way. Call Kris at SPL and tell him that Justin referred you to him. 847.290.0775

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
yea, ive been working at SPL the past 2 days on Vlad's IS. Good times there, and the guys know their stuff. But yea, i could easily do the kit, that isnt a problem, and if things go wrong, i can get that taken care of. Know many machine shops, and have many of them around, as well as will be able to do all of my own machining in about 2 months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Isnt there a member on here who works or runs a shop in like arlington hts? Like i think his anme is revhard or somen like that. hope this helps.
Off topic Seven what scool do you go to if you dont mind me asken?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
revhard does work at SPL... not sure about runnign it.

Seven is going to put my kit on... and if that falls through SPL for sure, i got my cam gear installed there they were nice. Only bad part about SPL is no dyno... another reason i went to see what Sound performance had to say first. But after seven slaps on my turbo im gonna run over to sound performance and get it tuned :).

and if that falls through ill drive to new york big daddy rich.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
soundexp said:
Isnt there a member on here who works or runs a shop in like arlington hts? Like i think his anme is revhard or somen like that. hope this helps.
Off topic Seven what scool do you go to if you dont mind me asken?
Oakton Community College. Great profs there. all of them have worked in the industry for over 20 years between regular auto shops, machine shops, and working on high perf. cars *2 of them work on weekends on a nitro funny car team*

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah, sound preformance knows what they are doing, and you pay for their egos. They definately have the knowledge and capabilities, and I don't blame them.

Seven, he's very knowledgeable. I've been asking him to help me out with my car quite a bit.

Kris at SPL is also a very knowledgeable person. He knows exactly what he's doing, and seems straightforward. I'm getting my kit through him as well.

I think you might want to talk to kris about putting a kit together before going to the TurboEast route. :)

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
or i could put a kit together for you as well :) I have figured out the power of the TKBO black box, how it works, and how to recreate it ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts