Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know this has been asked, but I just can't find the right thread for what i'm trying to achieve. Well I'm just researching and need to know what is the cheapest, reliable turbo/kit can i get so I would get gains from 300whp -350whp.. Please give me an answer to my question. Thanks. I am shooting for a maximium of $3500

·
Premium Member
20,996 Posts
you dont even have an IS yet you want people to waste their time answering questions that have been discussed for YEARS on this site

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Planing to buy one in a couple months if all goes well.. I just want to know the logic of everything so I could start saving for modifications..
go out and buy yourself a srt-4 skittle and call it a day lol will be cheaper for sure.

Is not that theres a problem with a custom kit, the fun part is the time that is going to take u to actually find the parts u need at the price u want. I am in the same boat as u and so far we only gots 2 options, buy a complete used kit or buy a pre-built kit from pfs, boost logic, or srt....Unless you know everything there is about boost and where to look (which by the looks of it u dont) is going to be harder for u to piece a kit together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not going domestic.. I saw a decent turbo kit that was sold for $3500 (used- but looks like new).. I just don't get it how a turbo kit cost so much on an is300... :( .. Btw I have all the time in the world to look for parts since I'm still a student, but it will be grateful to learn how to take apart engines, install turbos.. In fact i have a spare engine to learn on.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
you can get a cheap kit.. but the is300 lives or dies by tune / engine management. That is going to cost you 700 to a few thousand.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There is nothing really off the shelf new... perhaps consider used, or try to pick up someone elses never really started/finished project.

For example, I was at my friends shop and he wanted to sell me a Toyomodo kit for $2k-ish. Someone had bought it brand new and never put it on so its just sat around. I thought I read that the Toyomodo stuff is reliable, but I already have a couple of turbos... and I build all my kits. Even still, I've been considering it as I may have the parts and tools, but I don't have time to build like I used to.

Anyway on top of just the turbo, budget in the engine management, etc. etc. 3.5k would still be optimistic

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
cheap
fast
reliable

pick two
agree..

I personally have been piecing my kit together for 6 months now and it is still not complete...you need a lot of patience and chances are it will not come close to the 3500 budget...I would say 5K is reasonable plus tune...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanz for the info guys. Yeh i seen the 2.75 srt turbo kit, and actually couldn't believe it, so i guess I will start saving up and when I have enough money and driving experience, I'll cash out for turbos and such. In a couple months I will be buying a car from a salvage auction and I have been leaning for an is300. If you got other cars to recommend for the rang of the is300's price, chime in!! Btw I don't need people telling me that auctions do worse, because I can do the body work my self, and am trying to learn how to do all the engine stuff like replacing pistons, valves, timing belt, etc.. Also anyone of you know if there is a book/vid on how to do such things like replace pistons/valves , give me an answer. :)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like a wise decision to me. Look at factory turboed cars....maybe subarus?? If you like them. I would probably buy one over my stock is300 if both cars were comparable in condition and price. I love my IS but cheap speed is where its at for me...havent got much money to be dumping into my car. Do whatever you like. However bottom line is that a fast IS doesnt come cheaply. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeh I would go for a subaru but I don't know how much power their Auto trannies can hold. The reason I like the is300 is the looks, its automatic transmission can hold a lot of power, and it's RWD.. My main preference for a car is that it could make power, be RWD or AWD, and be reliable. Thank you, i'm still wondering if there is a book/video on how to do internal engine work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.