Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my turbo kit and tried starting it up and im getting a very rough idle an my exhaust white. im not sure if its the tune or what but im running 550cc injectors and the base map i have is for 575cc i did not think it would make such a big difference just run a little lean but then again im not sure.
info
i did the 2.5mm hg and greddy timing belt
emanage ult w/ pressure sensor
precision 550cc injectors
srt cast manifold to 3" turbo back
sc61 turbo
fuel return with aeromotive fpr

any help will be great. thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
added

also to add i thought it might be timing but when i spray a little starter fluid in the ic pipe it purrs and runs nice like it is not getting enough fuel or too much air.
and the hole in the ic pipe is just to hold my intake pipe from the turbo. my ic pipe is not disconected

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like you are runing super rich. I had the same problem when I first started mines up. Try turning down your injectors in your FMU until the white smokes goes away and the rough idling stops, then tune it from there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking that but my wideband is reading 10 doesnt that mean its super lean

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
^No, that is super rich. It could actually be lower than 10, but some widebands only read to 10. Super lean would be about 16-17 and higher.

It is the air/fuel ratio, so just think of it as 10 parts air to 1 part fuel. That is rich. Lean would be more air, hence 16 parts air to 1 part fuel.

Your rough idle is most likely caused by this problem. Get it tuned correctly and you should be golden.

Also, be careful with the white smoke, white smoke is usually coolant. Black smoke is richness (gas) and blueish smoke is oil.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks ill definatly check that out. also what should i tune my gauge to read 14? and what should i set my fpr at 45? im looking to rough tune it myself because i need to drive from queens to LI to get it tuned so its like 40 miles and i dont want to mess up my engine. and the white smoke was like a cloud the first time i started her up but i started her the next day and it was very mininmal at idle but came back a little then stoped at points. maybe its all the crap that was inside burning after i replaced the head or maybe the starting fluid

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
ok thanks ill definatly check that out. also what should i tune my gauge to read 14? and what should i set my fpr at 45? im looking to rough tune it myself because i need to drive from queens to LI to get it tuned so its like 40 miles and i dont want to mess up my engine. and the white smoke was like a cloud the first time i started her up but i started her the next day and it was very mininmal at idle but came back a little then stoped at points. maybe its all the crap that was inside burning after i replaced the head or maybe the starting fluid
You're on the Emanage so tune it to make the stock ECU happy so it will work with you. With the vacuum source disconnected from the FPR, set the fuel pressure to 43.5 PSI. Once you reconnect the vacuum source the pressure will drop a bit.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
could be your valve seals seated incorrectly. thats my problem, i have some white smoke until the car is fully warm, then its fine. when jeff at turboeast seated my valve seals, he apparently didnt know what he was doing. i havent had time to fix the issue myself.

does your white smoek issue go away when the car is warmed up?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're on the Emanage so tune it to make the stock ECU happy so it will work with you. With the vacuum source disconnected from the FPR, set the fuel pressure to 43.5 PSI. Once you reconnect the vacuum source the pressure will drop a bit.
ok ill try that tomorrow thanks.

could be your valve seals seated incorrectly. thats my problem, i have some white smoke until the car is fully warm, then its fine. when jeff at turboeast seated my valve seals, he apparently didnt know what he was doing. i havent had time to fix the issue myself.

the first time thats what happened but when i started her up the next day she was fine at idle but a little smoke when i gave it throttle

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heres an update i tryed it myself then gave up and brought it to my tuner. he told me that it is one of the pins inside the emanage because my ultimate came from a dc5 and thats what it was pinned for. he said he had the same problem with another boosted IS and he forgot to write it down because he doesnt do alot of them and that one was his first. hes bringing in the other is on friday and taking notes on that guys is. hopefully it works when i go back sat or tuesday

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
hm... when i start up my car in the morning i have white smoke and when i rev more comes out but once warmed up its gone but sometimes when i stop i see the white smoke again. ill try to get a video clip.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a quick question. Are you running a GE oil pump or a GTE oil pump.

Its been on this forum before i think and have heard many people run into the same problem. If your running a GTE oil pump you have to restrict it from the turbo. White smoke can also be unignited oil. Basically oil bypassing the combustion and going straight to the turbo?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

i have this issue, i smoke a decent amount when cold in the mornings then goes away but leaves my rear bumper dirty, after 10 min of driving a clay bar'd bumper is filthy.

How do I stop the smoke?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
isnt white smoke suppose to mean burning coolant?
Yes, it is. When you guys describe the color of your smoke, you should confirm it with a knowledgeable friend watching. Sometimes, a rich condition can be mistaken for white smoke which is typically coolant.

I run a GTE pump and don't have any issues with oil getting in the exhaust.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick question. Are you running a GE oil pump or a GTE oil pump.

Its been on this forum before i think and have heard many people run into the same problem. If your running a GTE oil pump you have to restrict it from the turbo. White smoke can also be unignited oil. Basically oil bypassing the combustion and going straight to the turbo?
im running stock ge oil pump

Yes, it is. When you guys describe the color of your smoke, you should confirm it with a knowledgeable friend watching. Sometimes, a rich condition can be mistaken for white smoke which is typically coolant.

I run a GTE pump and don't have any issues with oil getting in the exhaust.
it is white and clouds of it. i asked the tuner and he was like i wanna tackle the emanage problem first because that might be causing it so still no luck i might bring it in 2morrow depending on how busy they are if not this week

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i fixed one problem. the guy that put in my maf sensor put it in angeled wrong so i fixed it and now it idles better but still ruff we confirmed that gas is in the exhaust from the hole on manifold(i dont have an egt gauge yet and that is what the hole is for). he thinks its the wiring of the emanage or the injectors. im gonna try and put the stock injectors and disconnect the emanage and see if it idles ok any ideas?

·
Registered
911 Posts
hmmm...when i start my car in the morning white smokes comes out the exhaust but when its warmed up it stops doing it. This only happens when my car is cold.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
hmmm...when i start my car in the morning white smokes comes out the exhaust but when its warmed up it stops doing it. This only happens when my car is cold.
That's normal. It's just the moisture in the engine and exhaust burning off when you cold start the car.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

this is from the valve guides

1 - 20 of 21 Posts