Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys here is my problem i live on a small island an we dont have a dyno so no way to tune my car that way i was wondering what was the best way to tune my car what products can help me out THANKS A LOT MY.IS members

parts in my car so far are

srt intake headers an a cam gear

thanks tim

·
Registered
608 Posts
Buy a Greddy E-manage Ultimate with the plug and play harness and a wideband. Then learn to tune, its not as hard as most think, and since you don't have boost there is a lot less risk of screwing up your motor from a bad tune.

·
Registered
608 Posts
my cam gear is like what most people set it at which is -4 an that is pretty much it

any opinions on what kind of afc an wideband i should get

THANKS,
Tim :)
As far as a wideband, Innovate or AEM, both are great, pretty similar also.

As far as tuning, it really depends on whether or not you think you will boost your car in the future. If you are, I would not go with something like an AFC. If not, I guess an AFC would work. But why not have all the other cool features like a raised rev limit, 2 step launch control, timing adjustment and so much more with the Greddy E-manage Ultimate. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Im assuming you have the R-ECU wired in since you have the SRT intake. That thing is damn near perfection for the mods you have. Adding an emanage or any other piggyback would be a waste of your money. Thats if you can find a tuner that knows how to tune it with the intake and MAF issue.

Short answer: Keep your money cause it would cost you about $700 to net 3rwhp tops.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Im assuming you have the R-ECU wired in since you have the SRT intake. That thing is damn near perfection for the mods you have. Adding an emanage or any other piggyback would be a waste of your money. Thats if you can find a tuner that knows how to tune it with the intake and MAF issue.

Short answer: Keep your money cause it would cost you about $700 to net 3rwhp tops.
wow i never knew this
so would the apex SAFC or anything that has to do with electronically tuning the car make any (significant/important) difference in performance while having the R-ECU from SRT?

sorry im noobs

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
wow i never knew this
so would the apex SAFC or anything that has to do with electronically tuning the car make any (significant/important) difference in performance while having the R-ECU from SRT?

sorry im noobs
You cant run them together and the S-AFC isnt easy to tune with the SRT intake. The deal with the SRT intake is the piping is 3.5" and the maf freaks out when you put that intake on there. There has been alot of people who have put them on without the R-ECU and the car wouldn't even start.
Mo has that R-ECU so dialed in for cars with the intake, header and exhaust that its pretty much completely useless to try and use anything else.
One of the main reason the srt is actually worth what it costs. If you price out other intakes with the S-AFC and dyno time to tune it the SRT is cheaper and most likely will net you higher gains then the other ones will.

The only reason i can honestly see jumping up to something like an emanage with the SRT is if your adding cams and every other NA part available.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think the EMU would net more than 3rwhp as Lambchop has said, fine tuning a/fs get you some power, but small changes in timing gets you more (at least I've felt this with the butt dyno with boost). Looking at an EMU map used with a 3.5 intake pipe, there were more places than I thought that had timing advance. That combined with the raised rev limit could really help an autox'er.

But none the less as your saying, $700 is a high price for the little overall gain that it would be.

Since your going boost though, its great to get an EMS wired in, working and fingered out before the boost and fuel mods go on.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You cant run them together and the S-AFC isnt easy to tune with the SRT intake. The deal with the SRT intake is the piping is 3.5" and the maf freaks out when you put that intake on there. There has been alot of people who have put them on without the R-ECU and the car wouldn't even start.
Mo has that R-ECU so dialed in for cars with the intake, header and exhaust that its pretty much completely useless to try and use anything else.
One of the main reason the srt is actually worth what it costs. If you price out other intakes with the S-AFC and dyno time to tune it the SRT is cheaper and most likely will net you higher gains then the other ones will.

The only reason i can honestly see jumping up to something like an emanage with the SRT is if your adding cams and every other NA part available.
ohh because I have similar set up as well (aftermarket intake (SRT) + headers (OBX) and exhausts) and i thought i could do more tuning to it electronically. So its best to not waste money on electronic tuning parts and just buy stuff like cams?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ohh because I have similar set up as well (aftermarket intake (SRT) + headers (OBX) and exhausts) and i thought i could do more tuning to it electronically. So its best to not waste money on electronic tuning parts and just buy stuff like cams?
yeah that's what I've been told I'm thinking BC 264 an the maybe next year BOOST :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.