Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive be reading this board for a while and Im going to turbo my is300 I have everything figured out but Im a little clueless about tunning.

From what ive observed for my setup (7 psi) tunning applies to the fuel map. I know there can also be tunning done on the timing map but that is for a l8r date though anyone can chime in on this if they know.

Can some what explain what tunning is in more detail. It appears to be the act of making sure you have the right A/F ratio under all circumstances.

Im going to use an emanage with the stock fuel system and run 4 psi for a little while FYI. Ill probably have someone tune it for me but I still want to know whats involved. Ive seen some cars tuned b4 and it looks like they just dyno and adjust the fuel computer until they get the desired a/f ratio.

What is the ideal turbo A/F ratio for a low boost setup that will be daily driven?

Sorry for the long first post.

·
Registered
30,490 Posts
7psi has nothing to do (directly ) w/ the fuel map, 7psi is the most boost you're allowing the turbo to produce. anything more than that is dumped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
s0yb0mb said:
7psi has nothing to do (directly ) w/ the fuel map, 7psi is the most boost you're allowing the turbo to produce. anything more than that is dumped.
Yeah i just wanted to baseline the conversation at 7 psi since the requirement for higher boost may require ignition tuning.

·
Registered
30,490 Posts
going4boost said:
s0yb0mb said:
Yeah i just wanted to baseline the conversation at 7 psi since the requirement for higher boost may require ignition tuning.
oh word I gotcha...

as an aside, I find it "funny" that nobody w/ real tuning experience has helped you out.. .it seems most people are content talking about their cars, and their tuner than spreading knowledge these days. :roll:

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
well thats tough shit. i don't have time to answer everyones question, and there really isn't many others on this board that could answer it

you have to tune for igntion and for fuel, its a per car basis. since you don't know what you are doing, you'll probably blow the car up unless you are very conservative. i'm actually amazed at the optimism, that you are tyring to make your own kit, and then tune it yourself, but since you are, i'll try and help you keep from blowing it up

you'll need a wideband to get the a/f correct. as for timing, if you can get the emanage to work with that, keep it conservative, say less than 15 degrees at WOT and boost.

good luck

-gte

s0yb0mb said:
going4boost said:
s0yb0mb said:
oh word I gotcha...

as an aside, I find it "funny" that nobody w/ real tuning experience has helped you out.. .it seems most people are content talking about their cars, and their tuner than spreading knowledge these days. :roll:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response, I am just trying to gather information im undecided who will tune it, In the long run id like to know how so Im trying to get the info up front so even if I go to a tuner I have some insight. But I am hoping there will be no BOOOMs involved :lol: I plan on getting a wide band I can log with A MAP sensor at various RPMs.

IS300GTE said:
well thats tough sh*t. i don't have time to answer everyones question, and there really isn't many others on this board that could answer it

you have to tune for igntion and for fuel, its a per car basis. since you don't know what you are doing, you'll probably blow the car up unless you are very conservative. i'm actually amazed at the optimism, that you are tyring to make your own kit, and then tune it yourself, but since you are, i'll try and help you keep from blowing it up

you'll need a wideband to get the a/f correct. as for timing, if you can get the emanage to work with that, keep it conservative, say less than 15 degrees at WOT and boost.

good luck

-gte

s0yb0mb said:
going4boost said:
s0yb0mb said:
oh word I gotcha...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.