Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's two Lexus dealers here in MN that I know of, and tonight I called one to see if they had any IS350's in stock to test drive. I was informed by the sales guy on the phone that they only had 250's in and there was a list to get a 350. I told him I didn't want to buy one, I wanted to test drive one. He snapped "Why test drive one if you're not going to buy one." I said I would like to test drive a 40k car before I buy it. Then he told me that I should test drive a 250, and If I like it then buy a 350 because it's faster. Basically the guy is a fucking moron. Long story short, I asked when there would be a 350 for me to test drive. He said I would have to go on "the list" which is already 60 people long, and a refundable $500 dollar deposit would get me a ride. At which time of course, I would have the option to buy the vehicle.

Any suggestions from you guys on how to handle this? Should I just wait until February to even think about driving one of these?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I drove the 250 that was outside and then bought the 350 that was in the showroom. After experiencing the ride and handling of the 250 I had no qualms about buying the 350 at all.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
damn.

the people here when i took the is350 out were very nice.

im 19 by the way.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
MrBungle said:
There's two Lexus dealers here in MN that I know of, and tonight I called one to see if they had any IS350's in stock to test drive. I was informed by the sales guy on the phone that they only had 250's in and there was a list to get a 350. I told him I didn't want to buy one, I wanted to test drive one. He snapped "Why test drive one if you're not going to buy one." I said I would like to test drive a 40k car before I buy it. Then he told me that I should test drive a 250, and If I like it then buy a 350 because it's faster. Basically the guy is a fucking moron. Long story short, I asked when there would be a 350 for me to test drive. He said I would have to go on "the list" which is already 60 people long, and a refundable $500 dollar deposit would get me a ride. At which time of course, I would have the option to buy the vehicle.

Any suggestions from you guys on how to handle this? Should I just wait until February to even think about driving one of these?
The guy just probably thought you weren't going to buy an IS350 and thus was just wasting his time. I "qualified" myself for test drives by showing that I currently drive an IS. Then people seemed more than eager to let me try the new IS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with Crester, when i went in to look at an is300, some of the people were looking at me, as if to ask what was i doing there. As soon as i bought the is300, i asked to try the is350 and they were more than willing to help me out. I think if i would have gone and asked to test drive the is350 first, they probably would have been a little hesitant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you got a bad salesman to begin with. Just try to get another salesman and you should get a IS350 or IS250 for test drive. I think Lexus has demo car for test drive. These cars are not for sale, just for demo.

I test drove IS350 today without any problem even though I drove an old accord 96 and showed up with jeans and tshirt. A good salesman should not discriminate people by appearance or age. If they do, he/she may lose his commissions. :)

I like to get IS350 tungsten pearl/black interior with ML/NAV/Premium package/18" before the end of this year. It seems that Lexus does not have these kind of cars allocated for Texas yet and I need to special order them.

I am not gonna pay an already outrageous 44K car at MSRP. The sales person told me that I may get $2500 off MSRP for GS300 and GS300 were released in February. So based on GS300 supply and demand model, the earliest to get my car below MSRP is as early as June 06. :( No wayyy! Maybe I just have to get Acura TL...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I understand the sales guy was a dick, and I will try the other dealer around here, but is it normal to have to go on a list, pay 500 bux and basically order the car to test drive it?

I guess I'm just suprised, I thought the 350's wouldn't have this much more demand than the 250's. Apparently, around here anyway, I'm way off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never heard of any deposit policy when you only want to test drive a car. Anyway, the dealer should have a demo car for you to test drive. Thus, the car that you drive will not be the car that you get.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
You should NOT have to pay to test drive a car. It's just that the certain salesman you were dealing with thinks you're wasting his time. I remember when I first started looking at IS300's a while back... some idiotic salesman told me we had to virtually make a deal first and then he would let me test drive the car. Well sucks to be him... because I bought my IS300 somewhere else.

As others have said... just try another dealer... or even another sales person within the dealership. I've driven the IS250 at two dealerships... and had no problems.

Although to be honest... I usually try to dress nicely so that I look more like a person who would buy a Lexus.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry to hear you got a douchebag for a salesman...seems they are quite common these days. I will never udnerstand why sales people jump to conclusions about customers and treat them like this...makes no sense if you make money off the stuff you sell.

As for the deposit thing to take a test drive, uh no that doesnt sound normal and I think he was just trying to fug with you.

I sorta dont agree with the theory of taking the 250 out to drive like he mentioned. Say you take the 250 and are turned off by it...doesnt mean the 350 wont turn your crank but because the 250 didnt do it for you maybe you would be turned off from the IS350. I think him saying what he did was illogical. Anyway, I hope you can find a 350 to test drive.:)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That salesman is a as_hole n I would complain to the dealer for his behavior. Since u r interested he should attend 2 u 2 c which of the 2 models interests u more. WHat a moron n he doesn't know anything about sales. I used to be in sales for retail, car, n others. I don't judge people if they r buying or not but by giving them exceptional service they will come back n that is the way I c it. Hope u have better luck at another dealer.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Voltus is right, a good salesperson should never turn away any potential business but there are quite a bit of them who think certain people maybe a waste of their time, hell alot are even lazy.

Funny thing, at my local dealership, 1/2 of the sales staff couldn't tell the difference between the new GS & IS. I was asking around for the 350 and they kept pointing me towards the GS and I'm like "dude, wrong car". :lol: I got nothing but compliments when I pulled up in my IS. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
That sucks man. Your dealer is an ass. I walked into my dealer with my 6 year old daughter. Grabbed a salesman. Asked him where the IS350 was. He took me to the back where there was 4 of them being prepped for show. Took me over to the red one that they were prepping at the time and opened the door for me. Rolled it out to the freeway and took it through the gears with the paddle shifters a few times. Was fun :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I agree with you all. Well, maybe instead of calling them to see if they have one, I'll just roll out of bed tomorrow morning, not shave, throw a hat on and hop in my benz off to the dealership. lol

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Here's another tidbit... I find I have more success with test drives when I call in advance. So call in an book an appointment... don't just show up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts