Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the oil filter off. There doesn't seem to be much room for a standard band-type oil filter wrench.

Is there a Toyota oil filter wrench that fits better? (I'm thinking there might be one that fits over the end of the filter and is turned with a socket wrench)

I've searched other posts, everyone seems to agree that it's real bitch to get off but I didn't find any posts regarding any tips on which filter wrench to use.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
bvanbens said:
Hello, I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the oil filter off. There doesn't seem to be much room for a standard band-type oil filter wrench.

Is there a Toyota oil filter wrench that fits better? (I'm thinking there might be one that fits over the end of the filter and is turned with a socket wrench)

I've searched other posts, everyone seems to agree that it's real bitch to get off but I didn't find any posts regarding any tips on which filter wrench to use.

Thanks
I don't use a wrench, just use my hands and take it off.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
You can get a filter wrench that fits a 3/8 socket at most any parts store. It grips the end of the filter.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When trying to take the filter from the top of the engine, try removing the dip stick first then slide it out. I found that much easier and if you have the grounding kit, you have to loosen the bolt first also.

·
Registered
369 Posts
bvanbens said:

Thanks
Yup, there is one. Just go to your local Toyota dealership and ask for it. Tell them you want one for removing a oil filter off a V6 Camry or Supra (*Both uses the same oil filter as the IS). Will run you about $6-$8 for the part.

*I'm pretty sure you can buy it from Lexus but I won't be suprise if it's twice as much or even more*

·
8,880 Posts
Go to Sears hardware.
They sell an oil filter removal adapter that fits the wrench handle for the wrench set. It tightens the filter as you unscrew it. Works wonders.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Idea?

Try pushing on the intake manifold, that should give you more room to work with

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah go to a Toyota dealer or Pep Boys and pick up an oil filter wrench (cap style). You can also use a pair of latex gloves to get a better grip of the filter if you want to do it by hand. Another tip is to wrap a large zip lock bag over the filter while you are removing it, this catches all the oil, cause it does get messy. I notice you have a manual tranny, so you won't have the tranny dipstick to deal with

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Idea?

Ditto on the ziploc/plastic bag over the filter. But put an old rag or two just below the filter before you begin to loosen it to catch the drips ...it's a tight space in there. Use your filter wrench (I just use an open-ended spring-loaded jaw-type wrench) to loosen the filter a half turn or more. Then put the bag all the way over the filter and behind the filter mount and unscrew by hand till it drops into the bag and you can pull it through the small opening.

Those of you with the auto tranny dipstick in the way: removing the screw and moving the dipstick will help give more room, but that screw is a beeyotch to put back in (weird angle, easy to drop). I finally modified mine: unscrew the bolt. The whole dipstick/tube assembly will actually pull right out of a lower tube. Remove the dipstick and cut a large V opening on the right side of the mounting flange of the tube with a dremel or hacksaw. From now on , you can unscrew but NOT FULLY REMOVE the bolt and just slide the mount on and off easily. :wink:

·
Registered
579 Posts
After doing it myself once I must say honestly, go to the Toyota dealership
spend the $29.99 and let them do it for you. It will take them 20min. and it's much easier!

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
i had a rough time doing my first change but i will do a filter relocation during the next change in 3-5 k miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts