Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was going through my trunk to clean out some things and to check the pressure on my spare tire. I was checking and i noticed that there was some flooding on both sides of my car.

I bought the car knowing that it has been in an accident and the rear driver side quarter panel has been replaced and fixed and looked fine. months later, when it rained, water was able to some how leak into my trunk and carpeting would be wet. I've even asked 2 body shops about why and they said it's not too big of a deal, maybe just the rubber trunk lining. I didnt think it was a big deal til i saw the flooding today.

Btw. i've owned the car since Dec 2008. And i finally found this out NOW. :pissed: :(

so, what should i do? Any idea how to drain it? stop it from happening again?

pics:

·
Registered
635 Posts
damn dude looks like a mini sewer in there

if bodyshops are turning away then u arent going to the right places

id find a reputable shop and take it there for an opinion,
or just go to the dealership , but not pay just ask someone why its happening

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey mine did the same thing their are some drain tubes on each side of the trunk check them. Or rip you interior carpet out of the trunk and go to a car wash with a buddy and power wash till you fine the source. Tell us what it was when you find out brotha. good luck

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Replace the weather stripping on the trunk.

Pull the drain plugs till you get the leak fixed.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
mines worse than that, and its not the weather stripping. i think they welded new quarter panels on and did a shitty job.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the same haha, i just soaked it up with towels and keep some in that place. I look at them once in a while when I'm working on the car and its been ok that way so far. Its not a fix, I know, but I don't really care enough.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey mine did the same thing their are some drain tubes on each side of the trunk check them. Or rip you interior carpet out of the trunk and go to a car wash with a buddy and power wash till you fine the source. Tell us what it was when you find out brotha. good luck
I agree with this person, my previous vehicle was a Lexus GS and while there were no accidents with the car I would retain water after large rainstorms. I brought the car to my local lexus dealership several times and they couldn't find the problem. If you spray the trunk or trickle water down the car/MAKE-IT-RAIN with a hose and can't find water trails leading into your trunk, I'd reccomend just opening the drain plugs up a bit on the bottom of your trunk. I'm not sure about this car, but on the GS it had the amp mounted on the trunk floor. When I had water problems, they were followed by a $700 bill for the stock amp. If the amps are still mounted on the trunk floor, I'd get seriously concerned.

- Jason

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think you should check where they welded the new quarter panel. I know some body shops use a product called seem sealer after they weld parts on. Its suppose to cover up any holes. Good luck

·
Registered
964 Posts
if you look a little higher in those areas theres a vent 3" by6" that has a flap on it that is under your rear bumper. it lets air out but nothing in. maybe the flap got stuck open or fell off. also theres some rubber plugs that you can take out so the water doesnt stay in there untill you can get it fixed.

·
1,334 Posts
I'm surprised by the amount of people who have this problem. I sometimes get a bit of water on my passenger side. I've checked around a few times and haven't found the source. A tiny bit of water puddles in that lower section only, my carpet is never wet or anything...

I've just been leaving a ShamWow cloth down there to soak up any water. That's about the only thing those pos' are good for...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the responses everyone.

I thought i was the only one who had this problem.

mines worse than that, and its not the weather stripping. i think they welded new quarter panels on and did a shitty job.
i think the welder did do a shitty job. but then a lot of other people are having this problem too. plus, its on both sides of the car, not just the side that got hit.

i'm gonna try to find those plugs this week after my midterms and drain that water out and get some sham-wows or some super thick towels to put in there

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
Pull the plugs in the area, dry it out and scuff it up some. Then head to lowes and get some textured spray, spray that area to stop the rust ASAP!

RUST is death to ur car!

D

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
get the trunk bed liner spray at lowes. This is thick and un-seen when your trunk carpet is in there. This is a true covering for the area, the water will just drain off of it.

D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same issue as you, but I will be getting mine fixed tomorrow. I thought it was a clogged tube from the sunroof, but it is the pressure vents on each side of the trunk. The tech at the Lexus dealer took the tubes off of the car and made sure they were clean. He then took the car through a car wash and found that water was still gettting in and said the flaps were letting that water in. The flap is rubber and over time will wear down. This may be happening to a lot of our cars because of their age. He quoted me $23 for one side and $25 for the other side as far as parts go. If this isn't the problem, I will let you know.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks is300soon.

CartersIS please post and update when you find the results!

as for now, took off the plugs on both sides and gonna leave them off for the next few days. wiped down the area the best i could. getting the textured spray soon and then pull the plug back on, but not tightly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok guys, this is where my car is leaking maybe that's where everyone else's is leaking as well. Let me know what I can do to stop this troublesome leak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/kuramellow/Picture001-1-1.jpg

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/kuramellow/Picture002-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.