Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's out and I just changed the bulb in it, still no light though. It doesn't seem to be getting any power back there. The brake lights and side markers work fine. I looked at the fuses on the passenger side kick panel, but I wasn't sure which actually went to the trunk. Thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it's not something dumb like turning on the light switch, but to my knowledge there's no switch. Unless you know something I don't know ha ha.

I'll look through all the kick panel fuses again. Are there fuses located anywhere else?

·
Jedi Knight
7,619 Posts
There's no switch for the 1st gen. My suggestion is if you have a voltage tester is to see if there's a current flow. If you're replacing it with LED reverse the polarity.

Also, check the harness for any short...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do want to put a cathode replacement in the trunk but I have to get this power issue squared away first. Checked with a voltage tester and there is no juice period.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
There's no switch for the 1st gen. My suggestion is if you have a voltage tester is to see if there's a current flow. If you're replacing it with LED reverse the polarity.

Also, check the harness for any short...
actually there is a courtesy switch for the trunk light and it is located within the lock/latch assembly of the trunk. The switch wiring consists of a white w/black stripe wire and red w/yellow stripe wire that goes back to the Body ECU(not the engine ECU..this ECU is located near the driver side kick panal and terminal is labeled LGCY).the red w/yellow stripe wire is grounded via the switch when trunk is open which sends the signal back to that ECU to turn on the light. Obviously check for +12 vdc at the light as Tigger stated ...and if you don't have it there..then I would bet that the switch located within the latch/lock assembly has failed. there is no separate fuse for that particular light...as all courtesy lights are on the same fuse...therefore if it was a fuse...all of your door courtesy lights would not function as well. You will have to remove the upper latch mechanism to get access to the switch. This info comes directly from 02-05 service manual.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
also wanted to add...since you are planning to upgrade to LED lighting...make sure the polarity is correct as tigger also mentioned as some LED's blow if the polarity is reversed. Obviously you need to square away the problem with power...and hopefully my last post should clear up that issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Turns out the problem was the courtesy switch on the passenger front door was bad. All working now, except being able to open the trunk via the remote.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Turns out the problem was the courtesy switch on the passenger front door was bad. All working now, except being able to open the trunk via the remote.
make sure the key lock is verticle, and not horizontal. If it's horizontal, manually turn it with the key. That's to keep the valets out of your trunk while you eat lobster, or whatever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts