Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2002 is300 about a year ago and I'm slowly trying to fix the many issues it has. One of the big ones is the trunk.

Right now, the trunk will open from the lock on the trunk itself, but not the handle inside or the button on the fob. I've read quite a few other posts, so let me preface this with some info:

• The key hole is not horizontal. It is vertical so I believe the luggage lock is not disabled (or it's not in valet mode).
  • I've tried pressing and holding the trunk release button, but the trunk does not open. Instead the car just makes a long tone after 3 seconds that lasts until I release the button.
  • The trunk latch is new and recently replaced. Everything was connected correctly at the time as far as I know.
  • The trunk lid is aftermarket. The previous owner put a "carbon fiber" lid on that's mostly fiberglass. I intend to reinstall a stock lid at some point.
As far as the interior trunk release, I feel like it's a stretched cable but I'm not sure. When I have a helper pull the release, the slack seems to come out of the cable where it's mounted so it ends up not pulling on the trunk latch. Does anyone have a picture of how the cable is routed through the car? Especially around the area of the rear speakers?

Any help would be appreciated 馃憤

Registered
Good day everyone,

I bought a 2002 is300 about a year ago and I'm slowly trying to fix the many issues it has. One of the big ones is the trunk.

Right now, the trunk will open from the lock on the trunk itself, but not the handle inside or the button on the fob. I've read quite a few other posts, so let me preface this with some info:

• The key hole is not horizontal. It is vertical so I believe the luggage lock is not disabled (or it's not in valet mode).
  • I've tried pressing and holding the trunk release button, but the trunk does not open. Instead the car just makes a long tone after 3 seconds that lasts until I release the button.
  • The trunk latch is new and recently replaced. Everything was connected correctly at the time as far as I know.
  • The trunk lid is aftermarket. The previous owner put a "carbon fiber" lid on that's mostly fiberglass. I intend to reinstall a stock lid at some point.
As far as the interior trunk release, I feel like it's a stretched cable but I'm not sure. When I have a helper pull the release, the slack seems to come out of the cable where it's mounted so it ends up not pulling on the trunk latch. Does anyone have a picture of how the cable is routed through the car? Especially around the area of the rear speakers?

Any help would be appreciated 馃憤
Did it work before? If so, I would check the Techstream to see if it is active. Other than that check the connector. Also it could be a bad key fob.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Did it work before? If so, I would check the Techstream to see if it is active. Other than that check the connector. Also it could be a bad key fob.
It hasn't worked since I bought the car, but I thought it might have been caused by the bad latch. I've never used Techstream before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
so the cable is moving properly, it's not stuck/jammed? I had to replace my hood latch cable, they do freeze up
Yeah, basically, when I pull on the handle inside there is some slack in the cable where it curves around the driver side speaker in the trunk and that will move (the whole cable casing) like it's taking out the slack. The latch is brand new and the lever that the cable connects to definitely does release the latch correctly when I bench tested it before putting it in. I'm thinking the cable may be worn or stretched? That's why I'm wondering if anyone has a how to or at least a picture of how the cable is routed in the trunk from the backseat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts