Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ticalis300 mentioned that the way you break in your car can affect how fast your car is later on? Is this true? How should I break in my car so that it is fast? I am still in the process of breaking in my car and I try to stay between 2-3000RPM while trying to stay below 75 MPH.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
true or not should not even matter. a good break in for you car will also affect its longevity. every car should be well brokin in and not abused.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The true purpose of "breaking in" the car is to familiarize the car with ALL TYPES of driving without being HARSH. I don't agree is is keeping the car below, say, 3000RPM. Obviously, don't rev to the redline, which sholdn't be done even the car has had some mileage. Don't drag racing it, but do drive it at 5000RPM or coasting 70MPH during the break in. Otherwise, how is it a good measure if you baby the car at no more than 3000RPM for 2 months and the next things you do is timing 0-60 at stoplights or racing to 120MPH with a BMW?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
actually, what you are breaking in is the pistons rings, nothing else. while varing you style of driving and rpms, it gives the rings a change to seat into the surface of the new motors cylinder walls. the better they break in, the high compression and static compression you have, therefore the more hp it will make.
as for the auto IS, the computer also learns your driving habits and adjusts to that, but you can get that reset after you break the rings in as far as i know, so i wouldn't worry about that.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
dealers dont know sh*t.
TODAYS QUOTE OF THE DAY

THANKS JOHN!!! U SAID IT ALL!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just drive the car the way you would drive it every day, and enjoy it. I have heard and read that if you baby the car too much it won't preform in the long run as good as it could. Just don't redline it all the time. and power brake it right away. But get on it once in a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is what i was told by my brother (a M. Eng.):

Before the first oil change, try to keep it under 3000rpm, and brake softly. Make sure you warm your car nicely. After your first oil change, you may step on your gas MORE AND MORE, but don't, let's say, floor it when you drive out of the service shop. After your second oil change, you can floor it as you wish
. By doing this, you'll have a smoother, longer life engine.

There's why: If you have ever change oil yourself before, you'll know that there's a lot of little bits of metal, specially the first few times. They're from the block. What do you think the block will be like if you have so many bits of metal going between the block and your pisten(sp)?

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Tical and CruznIS300 beat the s'hit of of their IS's during the breakin period. All thru the RPM range! Now... there cars a a bit faster than mine. But Tical reports that it seems to drink more gas... oh well, thats one to grow on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Between broken in and un-broken in engines, major differents are as follow:

-Broken in engine is quiter
-Broken in engine consums less fuel
-In the long term, broken in engine tends to have a longer life then un-broken one.

BTW... there's a miss understanding... breaking in a car doesn't make it "faster"... it just keeps the HP it has... but un-broken engine losses HP in the long run.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I feel so bad now, this is my first car and i put alot of money into my baby. The dealer didnt mentiona anything about the break-in period to me at all and my parents dont know anything about cars. On the ride home i was putting it through its tests, i mean doing some high revs and some speedy stuff. I had no clue, i really dont know alot about engines and actually car parts and all. Is my car going to be messed up in the long run>???? God i feel so bad that i did this but my dealer should have told me about the break in period.

Sam

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you floor it just seldemly or often? if seldemly... it won't be that bad... just remember to change the oil when you have to...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts