Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so after a little bit of work and custom fabrication once again ... i have been able to finally add the last cross bar to the trunk setup and FINISH this little part of the project for now....

i looked into several of these types of rods for sale online & for what they are... they were fairly expensive.... i felt i could do better on my own so...

here is the original CF trunk brace/bar I made to integrate with my CF Cusco Strut brace...

Not bad actually for a hack...pretty solid & effective & i can remove it in about 3 min....

now... I struggled on how to add another bar to join the sides across the floor like the PLP bar & the RRT etcetc... the hard part was integrating the two rods together on the drivers side where the original rod mounts to the D ring Bolt hole...

eventually I decided to modify the mounts I had left over from an old Honda Strut brace i was hanging onto for years I knew i would find a use for it some day.

and i had to cut most of the threaded ends off the CF rod back, and reshape them to work with the mount.....

I ended up using the D-ring bolt holes and i added another hole & threaded another bolt into the frame between the tabs of the modded brace mount to lock it in place and support the rod better...

after cutting the rod ends flat & grinding them square... i drilled a mounting hole & shot them with a little paint.... & then test fitted everything..

after seeing everything lined up right & fit right ... time to bolt them up....

Whew... finally finished .... they are solid & feel pretty tight

and they look freekin sick of course.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
way to be unique again edgy (DIY master!), great job and looks excellent!

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Very nice! I'd love to work out something like this too!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Edgy, what do you have going on in your spare tire well? I've taken my spare out and I'm gonna relocate my battery there and also thinking about bracing inside the area too. Any thoughts on that one? any pics of yours? Thanks(sorry if this is off the thread topic)

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Love it

·
Registered
29 Posts
I realize that I'm new to all this, but does our trunk really flex that much? How does this brace help our cars? Steering, acceleration, ...? Again, not knocking your setup, it really looks tight. I'm just trying to figure out what it is/does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts