Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
26,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying one or the other. My wife and I both have knee problems in the past, so we're leaning towards an Elliptical machine, since it's supposed to be low-impact and it's smaller and quieter.

Does anyone have any insight in to a reason why I would buy a treadmill over an Elliptical that I may not have thought of yet?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Might as well go running outside if your gonna get a treadmill. The other thing is much better for your knees. Fucked mine up playing rugby-cant stand running on treadmills anymore.
How bout a bike?

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
26,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truckzilla said:
Might as well go running outside if your gonna get a treadmill. The other thing is much better for your knees. Fucked mine up playing rugby-cant stand running on treadmills anymore.
How bout a bike?
It snows in Myanmar - no running outside 4 me. As for the bike, I wanna have kids.... :D

·
Commander In Beef
25,546 Posts
The Eliptical would be much better if a low-impact workout is your concern. I don't think anything beats out running for an overall workout (and maybe some of you can prove me wrong) but aside from jogging on a treadmill, I don't think any other form of cardio workout would be better than the Eliptical machine..

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Get an indoor swimming pool.
Make sure you try out the elliptical machines first before buying. Some of them are just plain awkward. I wouldn't get anything under $1,000.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Eliptical is the bizzzzzzzzzomb bang bang, yo.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was a personal trainer about 3 years ago....college job. What my instructor told me, while I was getting my certification, was that ellipticals are good, but dont do anything for strengthing your joints and bones. There is no impact. So in the long run, ellipticals are potentially dangerous because your are developing your muscles but not the bones and joints that they are connected to and control.

There is really no better cardio than running....in terms of building overall strength and endurance.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
hsua said:
I was a personal trainer about 3 years ago....college job. What my instructor told me, while I was getting my certification, was that ellipticals are good, but dont do anything for strengthing your joints and bones. There is no impact. So in the long run, ellipticals are potentially dangerous because your are developing your muscles but not the bones and joints that they are connected to and control.

There is really no better cardio than running....in terms of building overall strength and endurance.
Intersting. How about swimming? You don't really use your joints and bones either but it's probably the best exercise.

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
26,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hsua said:

That makes sense. And really, this is for the cold/snowy months of Nov.-Apr. During the summer/fall, we are outside alot and run. I just don't want to spend my older years with more joint problems then I already have. We also have some weights. More for staying in shape than getting texcon big....

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Truckzilla said:
Might as well go running outside if your gonna get a treadmill.
Nice try, hotshot. Maybe you should be a runner first before you dispense advice on running...

You will get about 70% the workout running the same distance on a treadmill as opposed to outside. Reason being the machine is pulling the ground behind you, not you. You just have to pick your leg up and throw it forward. Also, treadmills usually offer a good amount of impact protection, something Truckzilla apparently finds on CONCRETE ROADS where he lives... :roll:

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Elliptical machines are for ladies. I don't think I've ever seen a man using one in my gym.

Oh yea, that's why PMD likes 'em... :lol:

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
PMD911 said:
Thanks track fag. :lol:
You're welcome elliptical fairy.... I can just see your tight ass whooshing along right now.... (massive boner)

*huggles*

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
kinddog said:
Elliptical machines are for ladies. I don't think I've ever seen a man using one in my gym.

Oh yea, that's why PMD likes 'em... :lol:
Did they have the elliptical machines in the gym at Emory when you were there? You always saw the finnest tail workin their buns on those machines.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
kinddog said:
PMD911 said:
Thanks track fag. :lol:
You're welcome elliptical fairy.... I can just see your tight ass whooshing along right now.... (massive boner)

*huggles*
You must've been so cool in high school running around in your short shorts and headband. :lol: Let me guess, you also did Academic Decathelon. F in' tool.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
DJPoop said:
Did they have the elliptical machines in the gym at Emory when you were there? You always saw the finnest tail workin their buns on those machines.
YUP!!! Right as you come up the stairs there... 4 fine asses right in your face!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's never been a guy on one of those things, has there?

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
kinddog said:
DJPoop said:
YUP!!! Right as you come up the stairs there... 4 fine asses right in your face!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but there's never been a guy on one of those things, has there?
You are correct, sir.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
17 Participants
LexArkana
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing