Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think these TRD yellow sways were put on back in late 01...
I guess I'm lucky? it last about almost 7 years?

I found this last week during my oil change...
(removed the TRD yellow front and rear and replaced with Hotchkis red front and rear this past weekend)

here are some pix...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is it just me or is everyone's sway bars breaking?
Damn I have never heard of a bar snapping (most cars I have had they have been solid items) but yeah everyone seems to be snapping em lately!

Noticed you have a few Tom's chassis braces, are they worth it? Do they improve handling/braking?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
you replaced them with sway bars that have also broken in the past??

btw do you have salted roads?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
what im wondering is how you couldn't tell until your oil change that it was broken.
with a broken sway. wouldn't the car feel very "sway"y??? lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
what im wondering is how you couldn't tell until your oil change that it was broken.
with a broken sway. wouldn't the car feel very "sway"y??? lol
My rear L-tuned broke sometime last year. I didnt know until I was changing a flat tire. I guess my coilovers does good enough job so i couldnt tell. Now I'm just running with the stock rear and it handles better than before. The rear tires just grip harder. It just seems like all aftermarket sways are proned to break in the rear from what i've read in here.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Did you guys grease your bushings regularly?

There must be some reason a number of people are breaking their bars... and they are occurring in similar spots as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Did you guys grease your bushings regularly?

There must be some reason a number of people are breaking their bars... and they are occurring in similar spots as well.
How does greasing the bushes prevent a sway bar from breaking???

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
No idea... just throwing out ideas.

But these polyurethane bushings are really tight... so if they're not lubed properly they will hold the bar rigidly tight. The bar should be able to twist within the bushing... the bushing just prevents the bar from rocking around. I'm noticing a lot of these bar failures are happening just beside where the bushing is located.

·
Registered
579 Posts
has anyone figured out why they have been snapping??

Have they become so weakened from road salt and weather..

is it the design or material used for the bar?

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I agree with Crester. The bushings need to be relubed--how often probably depends on road conditions. I have L-Tuned sway bars, and the bushings looked pretty dry after about a year of use with Mobile1 synthetic grease.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So TRD sways are weaker than stock? Never would have imagined the sway bar snapping like that. What's the strongest sway bar then? Still trying to decide what to get...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
do you need to grease TRD rubber bushings?

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
do you need to grease TRD rubber bushings?
I'm not sure about the black rubber bushings that I'm seeing with the yellows, but my L-Tuned directions say to lube the bushings.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I'm not sure about the black rubber bushings that I'm seeing with the yellows, but my L-Tuned directions say to lube the bushings.

That's because the L-Tuneds are polyurethane (hard plastic) and the TRD yellows are rubber and don't come with lube. When I first installed my yellows 4 years ago I put Super Lube (water-based) on and 4 years later no change. So I wonder if I need to do that again since this time I couldn't get a tube of that stuff and instead sprayed some Silicone spray before installing.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I put Super Lube (water-based) on and 4 years later no change. So I wonder if I need to do that again since this time I couldn't get a tube of that stuff and instead sprayed some Silicone spray before installing.
4 years huh? Is this the one you used?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts