Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone mentioning this earlier. I only bring it up because my dad wants to get me a 3liter toyota..reliability blah blah blah. i think the solara is ugly, but i mite consider the TRD version. of course he doenst know that yet...so wat are teh specs to teh TRD version? how much? manual or auto.?i remember someone saying u order it through the dealer? thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If u are considering the TRD Solara, it comes in V6 with either a 5 speed or auto. The TRD stuff (kit, rims, suspension, etc.) is all dealer add on unless they just have some on the lot. The blower is finally available, and that you install yourself. If u want more info, go to www.camryman.org for a Camry forum including some stage 3 solara owners.

Otherwise, the Celica is a decent and slightly cheaper alternative. Fun car also and much more aftermarket.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
You might want to check out www.trdusa.com
They have all the specs for the TRD packages as well as the link to Kazuma (I think) site for the supercharger info. Depending on the pulley setup on the s/c you can make way over 300hp from their system. Reliability will be an issue at those levels though. I'm actually considering the same thing in about 6 months. That's definitely one of my options over the IS300 as well as some other makes. Good Luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
the celica is too tiny!
It's not that bad. It definitely has a more personal feel (Read: cozy) than the IS. With the rear seats down, it will carry just as much, if not more, stuff than the IS. Of course, with the IS, you are going in style.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you must stay under $30K, then the TRD Solara's a great buy. It eats mustangs and camaros for breakfast, and keeps up with unmodded M3s. Think about it, 0-60 in 5.7s, 1.0g of lateral grip...top speed of 150mph. And it still has automatic climate control, leather heated power seats, a sunroof, 6-disc in dash cd changer, traction control, Toyota reliability, etc. etc.
I'm talking about the stage 2 TRD Solara, the one Car and Driver tested a while ago...the stage 3 is a little more pacified.
I drove one, and I've commented on it many times on this forum: I loved it!!!
All that for under $30K. Sure is a good deal.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
If you must stay under $30K, then the TRD Solara's a great buy. It eats mustangs and camaros for breakfast, and keeps up with unmodded M3s. Think about it, 0-60 in 5.7s, 1.0g of lateral grip...top speed of 150mph. And it still has automatic climate control, leather heated power seats, a sunroof, 6-disc in dash cd changer, traction control, Toyota reliability, etc. etc.
I'm talking about the stage 2 TRD Solara, the one Car and Driver tested a while ago...the stage 3 is a little more pacified.
I drove one, and I've commented on it many times on this forum: I loved it!!!
All that for under $30K. Sure is a good deal.

black/ivory
17"
Good post. Just curious...I don't subscribe to C/D, just Motortrend, but was C/Ds Solara that beautiful bright red one with the ground effects,new 17" wheels, s/c, and suspension mods? Man that's a sweet car! Take out those CL's all day long.

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited November 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yeah Mike, it was red and had 17 or 18 inch rims with 225s. They even featured it in Car and Driver television.
My friend has one in black. I think it's a stage 2 TRD Solara...I had the chance to cook the tires on it once.
Best of all, it has a 5 spd.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
WOW! I'm looking for a first car when I'm out of grad school in about 6 months. That package is definitely high on the list. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts