Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with the L-Tuned IS3 gear, preferably a forced induction solution. I just got back from my local Toyota dealership, and while I was up there what did I see but a fully modified Sliverstream Pearlescent Solara. It had everything, even the super charger. It sounded like a dream, I couldn't believe it when I saw it pull into the service bay. I asked the owner about it and he seemed very proud that he had the only TRD Solara in the area. Even after I got the oil changed in the Tacoma I took up there I didn't leave because I was to busy drooling over the Solara. It was so beautiful, if those L-Tuned parts aren't out by the end of this year I may just save some money and purchase a TRD Solara.

[This message has been edited by Syndicate (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i hear ya... before i decided on the IS... i was thinking of the TRD Solara. it's a sweet car.

marlon

------------------
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am in no rush for TRD basically cause they will probably jer us all on the prices!! Can you imagine how much it gonna cost for a TRD Supercharger or (Turbo) Kit? I can do without that. I dont think that it is worth $5,000 for 40-50hp. I'd rather wait for a computer chip upgrade and some bolt on's... Like what the guys do with the A4's

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
But it's a Solara, guys. Come on. Talk about a blandmobile. The CL-S looks better than a Solara. Sorry, just my opinion and about every good looking girl's opinion, as well...if that matters to you.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Chip upgrades on the A4 1.8T are very effective only because they raise the boost on the turbos. The chip mod is usually accompanied by a free-er flowing exhaust, which also helps generate more boost on the turbos.

You're not going to see those kinds of results on a NA engine.

However, supposedly some of the RMM intake kits come with a replacement chip to take advantage of the new intake.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
well.. i wasn't really comparing the CL-S with the Solara, and even so.. the CL-S is way more expensive. Webmaster is right,
the chip only works most effectively on the turbo'd versions.

as for toyota, i think the solara is a great car. the ride is incredibly smooth and the design isn't bad either. i personally like the roominess in the solara, given the 2 door ... it definitely has way more room in the backseat than the IS300.

but again... i'm comparing apples to oranges...

------------------
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Brad have you even seen a TRD Solara in person? I admit that the regular Solara is boring and plain, but the TRD Solara is frickin' beautiful, it almost looks like a new car. The CL-S and any CL for that matter look like Accords to me (on top of being ugly), besides I think IS3 will attract more girls (I'm buying the IS b/c it has what I'm looking for and is more distinctive and cost less than 330) than the TRD Solara simply b/c it looks better, I'm pretty sure most people don't even know what a TRD Solara is let alone that they exist.

[This message has been edited by Syndicate (edited September 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Webmaster.... is that why the RMM intake is so expensive? because you are buying a chip and an intake in one package?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
a lot of the time, when you buy chips you're not just buying the chips, you're helping them pay for the r&d that went into it.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
Webmaster.... is that why the RMM intake is so expensive? because you are buying a chip and an intake in one package?
The kit we've seen for the IS does NOT include a chip and is still expensive. The kits they sell for the GS and SC do have chips and they're like $1200 or so.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
511 Posts
Geeeeez $1200!... WEB.. do you know what kind of results have beem posted with a chip intake setup on a GS ... maybe us IS guys can use it as reference to see if it is worth the $$$ and how it may affect an IS if they make that setup for us.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Syndicate, in your defense, I have not seen a TRD Solara in person. To this day I have never seen a car modified internally and externally that made me look past the original product. Maybe this one is different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
brad
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing