Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know many of you are looking for the lip since there arent many Genuine TRD elegant lips for the US spec and EMR is out of business. I thought i'd announce that I got my hands on a Genuine TRD elegant lip for the US spec bumper and its in the works of getting molded to create a US SPEC replica that will fit way better then the EMR lip. The lips gonna be made of fiberglass or carbon fiber but the fiberglass option will be made of flexable weaved fiberglass (opposed to vacum sealed fiberglass, like the EMR lip). Im estimating the competion of the project in 8-10weeks. Look foward to it boy!

Reactions: BossMan

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Studlyy796 said:
So i know many of you are looking for the lip since there arent many Genuine TRD elegant lips for the US spec and EMR is out of business. I thought i'd announce that I got my hands on a Genuine TRD elegant lip for the US spec bumper and its in the works of getting molded to create a US SPEC replica that will fit way better then the EMR lip. The lips gonna be made of fiberglass or carbon fiber but the fiberglass option will be made of flexable weaved fiberglass (opposed to vacum sealed fiberglass, like the EMR lip). Im estimating the competion of the project in 8-10weeks. Look foward to it boy!

That is great news! Keep us updated. Can't wait until they are done. =]

+Rep

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Definetly keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Sounds like a good idea

Only cost really to account for is a mold and the life of it before another has to be made ;)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
Sounds like a good idea

Only cost really to account for is a mold and the life of it before another has to be made ;)

How long do the molds typically last? I don't know much about molding fiberglass.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
BossMan said:
How long do the molds typically last? I don't know much about molding fiberglass.

Depends

Ever wonder why there are so many crappy fitting kits?

They keep laying and pulling a part out of a bad mold, causing warpage and making pure crap

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah, never thought about it. I just thought the poor fitting kits were just poor designs from the beginning. Didn't realize they deteriorate over time.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
BossMan said:
Yeah, never thought about it. I just thought the poor fitting kits were just poor designs from the beginning. Didn't realize they deteriorate over time.

yeah the mold just breaks down, and co's are too cheap to make new ones

So that causes the poor fit of the kit

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I guess by the time the mold is falling apart, they have made back their money already and can afford to sell entire body kits on ebay for under $400. :)

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
BossMan said:
I guess by the time the mold is falling apart, they have made back their money already and can afford to sell entire body kits on ebay for under $400. :)

yeah :lol:

Also depends on if the material is shredded and blown or if it is hand laid

I mean there are so many factors that go into "making" a part and in the end the final part is going to have to be way overpriced it will flop some of the time

Also getting into some more exotic materials ie: C/F (esp with the war) the cost of a part is going to be way expensive (unless you cheap out on the weave and materials that are being used)

They are a couple short cuts, and things I learned to get around some of that

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They should have a is300.net chat room.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
BossMan said:
They should have a is300.net chat room.

:lol:

Well I don't mind sharing

I know a couple things about mold making, and c/f and fiberglass

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
cool, how'd you get another lip?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a fiberglass/carbon fiber custom mold shop next to my work. They do a lot of work for our racecar's so the guy is gonna do us a favor and make the mold for the TRD lip at a reasonable price. He told me the best option is to go with hand-laid if i want good fitment, flexibility, and strength. He showed me a sample product and i was amazed. I could bend the shiit out of the fiberglass and it didn't break or crack.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes, definitely cannot wait for this one. =]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.