Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Twisties Addict
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas,

For all the guys that know your Rears.
Which do u think is the better route to go.

Pros to the supra rear is it will hold up without needing rebuilt longer than the GS.
Cons More parts and labor needed....harder to find...more $$$

GS rear
pros performs as well as the supra rear....cheaper$$...less parts
cons would need rebuilt after 10-15k miles of hard driving.....clicking noise if LS is set too tight?

Pros and cons came Via [email protected] when we talked about it over the phone. Just stating the info i have in my head now.

Now whats your guys opinions on the matter.

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I plan on going with the Supra TT TRD rear.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
were u able to contact jeff in the past few days? i have been trying but no luck.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
no, I'm finishing up that project. Rear end , head, water injection, second fuel pump, and bigger turbo/stainless manifold coming next October. Then.....and only then........will this project finally end somewhere near the 600rwhp mark (pump) :>)

For now, I live with ~450rwhp. It's rough.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I went with the TRD limited slip. No modding, very strong. The owner of powerhouseracing has it in his IS300, he is pushing over 700 rwhp

www.powerhouseracing.com
I absolutely love mine.
TRD Limited Slip Differential

Replace the open differential in your IS300 with a high-quality TRD limited slip unit and experience traction from both rear tires at once. These are a necessity for forced induction IS300?s and a useful upgrade even for mildly modified cars. The TRD limited slip unit is a complete replacement for the differential spider gear set in the 2000-up IS300 auto and manual transmission cars. A must for any 400+ Horsepower IS300!
Price: $915

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
^^ the owner of powerhouse, Jarett, sold that IS300 a cpl years ago, who then sold it again to its current owner, member RAVEN.. ;)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
^^ the owner of powerhouse, Jarett, sold that IS300 a cpl years ago, who then sold it again to its current owner, member RAVEN.. ;)
cool, did not know that. love the TRD limited slip

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Isn't the final gear ratio still too high though? 3.7 on my manual is too high right now w/ the V161, and my tranny even has slightly longer gearing the the V160!

Good for acceleration I guess at my current power level, but the car would still be faster if it had the 3.27 rear from the GS400, or with a high power car (hopefully, me in the next year), the 3.13 from the Supra rear. That's the main reason I want it, even more so that the TRD LSD, which is also a big step up from the stock torsen unit.........

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
all hover around the $1K mark.....but if you minusa the money you can get by selling yoyur stock one.....maybe $600-700 bottom line? Install is $$$ too...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have stock torsen lsd. Maybe ill just get the trd lsd for my stock is300 rear. Or can the the stock torsen one handle higher hp? The high gearing is ok with me. Just don't wanna go throught the hassle of the conversion

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
i told you last night - the way i see it - the less you have to change to get it to work the better off it is i feel. its still pretty tough to a-splode a rear end even if it is a gs rear end. i bet you won't ever have problems with either of them. unless you're like the phillz - he likes to eat rear ends haha

·
Registered
581 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
where can i find a GS rear end?
Just call local JUNK yards? or what?
Go here for the GS400 rear end... they should have some.

http://www.billystoyotaparts.com/index.cfm

Got mine from there with only 15k miles on it... $550 shipped. Putting in a Kaaz LSD as well... http://www.kaazusa.com

I've heard Kaaz makes the TRD LSD... but the "version" that you get from Kaaz is slightly better (same application). Hope this helps.

Cory

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
somguy2u said:
unless you're like the phillz - he likes to eat rear ends haha
Hey now... LOL

But this is very good info. I am trying to decide the very same thing. I think I may be going GS rear w/Kaaz LSD now...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
MDForceFed said:
Go here for the GS400 rear end... they should have some.

http://www.billystoyotaparts.com/index.cfm

Got mine from there with only 15k miles on it... $550 shipped. Putting in a Kaaz LSD as well... http://www.kaazusa.com

I've heard Kaaz makes the TRD LSD... but the "version" that you get from Kaaz is slightly better (same application). Hope this helps.

Cory
^same setup. Heres a different place you canorder from...
www.car-parts.com

I searched and got back with 5 different junkyards in the east coast. Picked up a used GS rear for $300 shipped.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
How fast do you need it I found dan kao one for $350. I'll start looking around tonight locally for you.
Hey Rich, let me know if you find one. If you find a similar deal, I will take it!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts