Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so yeah yeah yeah I searched and actually couldn't come up with much on this.

I've been checking out the TRD hi-performance brake kit and was wondering if anyone has any comments on them (i.e. have them on their own car or know someone who has them on their car)?

Thanks!

sISp

·
Registered
231 Posts
TRD Japan has 2 brake kits. The lower cost kit is in fact nothing more than the Supra calipers and the more expensive kit consists of the LS430/UCF30 calipers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hk300 said:
TRD Japan has 2 brake kits. The lower cost kit is in fact nothing more than the Supra calipers and the more expensive kit consists of the LS430/UCF30 calipers.
I know people were unsatisfied with the supra's stopping power but how does its brake setup compare to ours, given that the IS is a couple hundred pounds lighter?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
hk300 said:
Don't know what cars they are out of . They show the diff being one is a monoblock and the other is just a 4 piston.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've seen them also advertised on Ltuned and am also confused. I know front calipers, rotors and brake lines but not much more info, pic also shows slotted rear rotor, anyone have the specs??

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BCMPOWER said:
I've seen them also advertised on Ltuned and am also confused. I know front calipers, rotors and brake lines but not much more info, pic also shows slotted rear rotor, anyone have the specs??
Exactly, that's why it's confusing me...it says "front" but shows rear. I wonder if I should buy them and argue over and over and maybe get the rear too. ;) No, but seriously, if anyone knows I'd be appreciative.

sISp

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yogi_TRD said:
Don't know what cars they are out of . They show the diff being one is a monoblock and the other is just a 4 piston.

Monoblock are the LS430 calipers. These are 4-pot calipers made out 1 piece of alloy.

The other one is the Supra 4-pot caliper.

·
Registered
231 Posts
jaraldyne said:
I know people were unsatisfied with the supra's stopping power but how does its brake setup compare to ours, given that the IS is a couple hundred pounds lighter?

The Supra 4-piston calipers and rotors will generate more stopping power than you will ever need.

The Supra calipers are quite firm (very direct bite), so not the most comfortable BBK. The Monoblocks are more gentle, but will have similar stopping power when braking hard. The biggest disadvantage of the Supra 4-pot calipers is that these are heavier compared to the Monoblocks or Brembo/Rotora/Stoptech.

If this upgrade is not enough, then consider getting higher friction pads (are expensive!! $100 - 300 per set), better rotors, and better brake fluid.
Also consider upgrading your rears ...

Most often ... bigger brakes are only for the show.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
From my understanding the TRD brakes for the IS300 is a the same as the Supra calipers and the kit comes with front n rear rotors and stainless steel braided lines.

Front aluminum 4 pod caliper ,slotted rotors,brake pads, stainless brake lines,hardware ** May not fit current rims ** Wear of the pad becomes quick and/or depending upon the state and usage of the vehicle of the customer there are times when effectiveness changes. * When the kind of usage which exceeds the allowable temperature of the brake rotor is done, the distortion of the rotor occurs. * There are times when wear of the brake rotor becomes quick depending upon the combination of the part which is used. * The judder - (the vibration) there are times when it occurs depending upon the state and usage of the vehicle of the customer.

This part is suitable for the following models:
GS300

1998-2000
2001-2005
GS400

1998-2000
GS430

2001-2005
IS300

2000-2001
2002-2005
SC300

1991-1996
1997-2000

SC400

1991-1996
1997-2000
SC430

2002-2005

click on link for pics

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=661

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have found another set of brakes that might fit the IS300 but found it for the GS series 00-up. This is a brake set from Toyota USA.

Toyota USA

Big brake replacement or upgrade for your Toyota Supra,Lexus GS300,400,430 or SC300,400 Kit includes new 4-piston calipers,shim kit,brake pads,rotors and SS lines Hi-pad/disc offset is needed to accomodate larger calipers, will not work with stock wheels ( Except Supra TT ) ** product subject to change depending on availability of rotors and brake pads **

GS300

1998-2000
2001-2005
GS400

1998-2000
GS430

2001-2005
SC300

1991-1996
1997-2000
SC400

1991-1996
1997-2000

Click this link for pics and specs

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1474

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Basically the 2nd brake kit I found r Supra calipers n u can put these on your IS300 with slight modification. The first kit looks like the Supra caliper but fits without any modification.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fyeung04msm said:
From my understanding the TRD brakes for the IS300 is a the same as the Supra calipers and the kit comes with front n rear rotors and stainless steel braided lines.

Front aluminum 4 pod caliper ,slotted rotors,brake pads, stainless brake lines,hardware ** May not fit current rims ** Wear of the pad becomes quick and/or depending upon the state and usage of the vehicle of the customer there are times when effectiveness changes. * When the kind of usage which exceeds the allowable temperature of the brake rotor is done, the distortion of the rotor occurs. * There are times when wear of the brake rotor becomes quick depending upon the combination of the part which is used. * The judder - (the vibration) there are times when it occurs depending upon the state and usage of the vehicle of the customer.

GS300

1998-2000
2001-2005
GS400

1998-2000
GS430

2001-2005
IS300

2000-2001
2002-2005
SC300

1991-1996
1997-2000

SC400

1991-1996
1997-2000
SC430

2002-2005

click on link for pics

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=661
Yeah those were what I was looking at. So do you think they'd be a lot better than the current ones? If I'm going to shell out $1.8k for brakes I want them to be a lot better than the stock. Not necessarily Brembo's, just better than stock.

sISp

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
to speedisprecious u can go with Rotora brakes which r not bad n they r lighter than stock calipers. They r priced from $1400 and up, they r 4 pot aluminum calipers with slotted rotors and stainless steel braided lines. They also have a 4 piston brake kit with 2 pc rotors and a 6 piston kit. There is also other brands out there like Stop Tech, Grex by Greddy, Endless, Baar, Wilwood, Brembo and many more.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fyeung04msm said:
to speedisprecious u can go with Rotora brakes which r not bad n they r lighter than stock calipers. They r priced from $1400 and up, they r 4 pot aluminum calipers with slotted rotors and stainless steel braided lines. They also have a 4 piston brake kit with 2 pc rotors and a 6 piston kit. There is also other brands out there like Stop Tech, Grex by Greddy, Endless, Baar, Wilwood, Brembo and many more.
Thanks, does anyone know what's the best for the price of about $1800 or less?

sISp

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
id rock those monoblock ones if anything. lighter.. rigid.. i just dont know who makes performance pads for the ls430 here in the states :( definately gotta source them outside, lots $$$. the new GS430 uses the same caliper (it looks like) but with a bigger front disc, right hk300?

not to mention, the rear brakes (on the LS/GS, not sure on the trd monoblock kit) are ventilated too. and the fronts are directional vaned like the supra. if the IS came with this brake setup stock, i dont see a need for BBK, beyond looks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
speedisprecious said:
Thanks, does anyone know what's the best for the price of about $1800 or less?

sISp
the lowcost BBK is to get the Toyota Supra 4-pot calipers, rotors, brakelines, pads, and Supra adaptor bolts ... all of this will be less than $1000 :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hk300 said:
the lowcost BBK is to get the Toyota Supra 4-pot calipers, rotors, brakelines, pads, and Supra adaptor bolts ... all of this will be less than $1000 :)
Where can I find it? ;)

sISp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts