Lexus IS Forum banner

TRD Air Filter?

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  frylai 
#1 ·
Does it make any difference from the stock? Any @ all?

#4 ·
I dropped it in with a Greddy Evo and can feel a bit, mostly top end.

#5 ·
i put the TRD filter in at 5k as my original filter was looking dirty.the TRD unit has a very high quality construction and look to it...oiled gauze sandwiched between two metal screens.lots of surface area.i can't vouch for a power increase but the engine seems quite powerful and sounds wonderful.

#6 ·
My TOMS (which I took out due to bad filtration) did not give me a huge gain, but I felt the engine ran better in general (smoother, revved more free). I think I may go the the TRD since its design (from the pic I've seen) are similar to K&N drop-ins which have always worked well for me in the past. I wonder why K&N hasn't come out with a drop in for our cars yet. :roll:

#7 ·
I really like the quality of the TRD filter, it is made of excellent material, and traps all dust and particles.... The mesh screen on both sides really does it's job... and the edges are nice and thick so no particles get through or underneath the filter.... Plus, also that it is oil based is even better.... It works just like a cone filter, except it's in your airbox, where there is cool air.....

Here's a good shot of the filter, from a recent install... :chill:

Joe Z 8)

#9 ·
rllis300 said:
My TOMS (which I took out due to bad filtration) did not give me a huge gain, but I felt the engine ran better in general (smoother, revved more free). I think I may go the the TRD since its design (from the pic I've seen) are similar to K&N drop-ins which have always worked well for me in the past. I wonder why K&N hasn't come out with a drop in for our cars yet. :roll:
Um, K&N 33-2170 is the drop in replacement filter for our car. :roll: :roll: hehe.

#10 ·
HEHEHE...thanks guyz KOOl, thats means i m gonna get one in Hong Kong, ummmmm............what about the oil-filter, wot does really do, since is so cheap i might as well get it as well...hehehe......... :D :) 8) :lol:

#12 ·
IS300GTE said:
hey joe,

any luck when going back to the dyno shop?
I'm going to try and make it there this week.... I work all week, plus they are closed on weekends..... I called them to let them know the DYNO was not done correctly... So hopefully they will DYNO my car, with minimal costs...
The 02' test car is in works of having other projects done to it, so were not sure when we can meet up and have another DYNO done to it...

I will keep you posted!

Thanx
Joe :chill:

#13 ·
ive had my TRD filter a couple of miles into my car first purchased. The only thing is that now that i ran about 6000 miles, its kinda dirty when i look at it. Does anyone know where you can get the TRD filter cleaner other than the dealership. Dealership is 110% markup price and i cant seem to find it online for cheap. If so, can we use the K&N filter cleaner on TRD, does it make a difference in cleaning material??????

#16 ·
NiCeLeX said:
Im thinking about getting my TRD drop-in filter soon...i just got my JOE-Z custom intake so hopefully it will all work out :)
I can testify, the TRD works great with the Joe Z D-AFI and a nice exhaust. I love it. Sounds sweet. I have the L-Tuned exhaust.

#17 ·
irv_usc said:
rllis300 said:
Um, K&N 33-2170 is the drop in replacement filter for our car. :roll: :roll: hehe.
Oh...b/c when I went to a NOPI show in August, the K&N guys said they did not have one yet for the IS. I had also inquired in the past for my 01. Where did ya get this info?

#19 ·
you people with the aLTeRnaTinG nIcs might just have to have your profile edited, if you don't make it normal and un-annoying by changing it yourselves

#20 ·
rllis300 said:
irv_usc said:
rllis300 said:
Oh...b/c when I went to a NOPI show in August, the K&N guys said they did not have one yet for the IS. I had also inquired in the past for my 01. Where did ya get this info?
Wacky, I found it on the K&N website (knfilter.com). Maybe they added it recently. It's the same filter as for the GS300.

#21 ·
irv_usc said:
rllis300 said:
irv_usc said:
rllis300 said:
Wacky, I found it on the K&N website (knfilter.com). Maybe they added it recently. It's the same filter as for the GS300.
Yeup, definetely right ... The (GS/IS) filter's have the same part number...33-2170..
I will call one of my contacts tomorrow to see how much they go for..

Joe :D

#23 ·
Joe Z said:
Yeup, definetely right ... The (GS/IS) filter's have the same part number...33-2170..
I will call one of my contacts tomorrow to see how much they go for..

Joe :D
Found it online for 55 bux. Wonder how it performs, in terms of keeping crap out.

rllis300 said:
Thanks fellas on the K&N tip. If anyone has input on fitment (since its for the GS as well) let me know....
It should fit fine, considering the airbox is almost identical.[/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.