Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my TRD / AFE Air filter and noticed the perimeter has a loose fit with the air filter housing. There is an additional gap there and may allow unfiltered air to pass thru this gap. See the comparision between stock and TRD. You can tell the stock filter has a cotton lip around the perimeter to catch any dirt from passing thru whereas the TRD/AFE does not.

I went to a crafts store and picked up some adhesive lined felt, cut it to shape as shown and lined it around the filter for a perfect line to line fit with the housing. No more gap.

Attachments

Reactions: Joe Z

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I don't find there is a gap with mine at all. I just adjusted the two metal pressure springs at the bottom to give a snugger fit. When you have the filter cover on, there are also springs which push the top of the filter tightly as well. I have checked quite a few times and have not noticed any dust bypassing the filter.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gap is small but it is there for me. Most notably from the top of the filter. The filter is sealed on the back side, but why does the factory fillter have the cotton lip there. I believe it acts as a secondary measure to minimize dust intrusion.

The way our housing is setup is sub-par with only 4 clips sqeezing the filter to the plastic. Most housings capture the filter from a top with the housing cover and the clips puts pressure along the perimeter of the entire filter, not just at 4 points.

In addition the TRD filter flexes a bit due the urethane frame construction instead of OEM's plastic frame.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Yes - I have noticed this gap on many cars that I have worked on..w/ the TRD filter.... but never felt it was a major issue...

Pprobably in the long term dust or small particles would eventually pass through that gap..

You have now found a nice way to prevent that and you gave your filter a super tight seal!!!!

Nice work and Nice pictures!!!

Joe Z :p

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just checked mine and don't have a gap either...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts